Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Portland (OR) Shopping Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by reedobandito, Jun 27, 2011.

1. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Guys,

I'm gonna be at the Hilton on 6th street until Friday. Are these places close to where I am. I don't have a car and will be walking.

2. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

any interesting PDX goings on this weekend? coming down from BC for the long weekend

i want a Cut Copy ticket if anyone's got extras

3. mymil

mymil Senior member

Yeah, you're right downtown, so close to a lot of things. And if anything is farther than walking distance, there is a streetcar that runs throughout downtown and good public transportation throughout Portland. You're like a 10 minute walk from Frances May, which is only four minutes away from the Blackbox building (Tanner Goods, Dunderdon, Blackbird). Also only a few minutes from Higgins restaurant, which I think is pretty great---world class service, an immense beer selection, and excellent food.

I don't know what kind of stuff you're into, but:
    http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/EventSearch
    http://www.wweek.com/portland/events
    http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/arts-and-entertainment/find-an-event/
    Wordstock is this weekend if you're into literature.

4. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

i just meant any festivals or annual events that happen to be going on

looking for a non top-40 dance party as well, electro-house-indie-dance-whatnot

5. mymil

mymil Senior member

Well, Wordstock that I mentioned above is one. Of the resources I linked, Portland Monthly Magazine has the most curated list of events. I think Portland Fashion Week will still have events going on this weekend. Lesbian and Gay Film Festival. Tattoo Expo. I don't know what else, and I can't help on the dance party front, sorry.

6. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Hahaha a Portland dance party would be so awkward and sweaty and pasty white

7. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

just like Girl Talk shows

8. pdxpdx

pdxpdx Member

If you want a dance party you gotta go to the East side. Branx, Rotture or the Holocene usually have good weekend nights, but sometimes they have other kinds of shows. Its a cheap cab ride over or you can take the 14 or 15 bus across the river. Grab a copy of the Portland Mercury or the Willamette Week (the free papers) and you can find out what's going on.

9. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

The do over on sunday at produce row. Last of the season, not to be missed. theres also a cut copy after party at holocene w/ cutcopy djs.

anyone going to 1st thurs tonight?
    Starting at blackbird event and winding my way down to breezeblock gallery ect...

10. reedobandito

Yea, I thought about hitting up the Black Box party, see a few friends there.

Man, Starfucker was so good last night

11. mymil

mymil Senior member

The men's clothing store in Morgan's Alley (I can't remember the name) is having a going out of business sale this Friday from 5-8pm. Everything is 40-70% off, if I recall correctly. Morgan's Alley is 515 SW Broadway, where European Master Tailor is. I'm not sure what they carry, since I never went in, but it looked decent from the windows.

12. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

Walked by inner windows on way to Derek's (excellent cobbler, if anyone needs one in PDX). Not much to get excited about: Joe's Jeans, Ben Sherman, etc. I suppose if you're interested in those, they may have some good "deals." but I wouldn't waste your time.

13. pdxpdx

pdxpdx Member

Dereks is a good shop and he always does a nice job on resoles and what not. Recommended. Anybody know a decent tailor downtown for suit alterations? I have a suit I need work on and want it done right.

14. reedobandito

I hear European Master Tailor is excellent. I'm about to take my Black Fleece suit there myself. Called him and he estimated about $125 for a number of alterations

15. mymil

mymil Senior member

Yeah, Sylvian is great! I've had him do a couple sportcoats and a bunch of trousers, including adding side tabs to a pair after hemming them. He understands tailoring, and we've worked together to get things how I went them. He has his own ideas, but he's been getting more of a sense of how I like things to fit. Very pleased with our interactions and his tailoring.