1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Portland (OR) Shopping Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by reedobandito, Jun 27, 2011.

1. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Anyone going to the Black Box party?

2. kixslf

kixslf Senior member

3. Tharsos

Tharsos Active Member

Any good stores in Salem? For that matter, anyone know of anything worth doing around Salem? I'm heading down there for school. Last semester I don't think I found a single person who could tell me something fun/interesting to do around town. Hopefully I'll have time to catch a bus into Portland one weekend and visit Blackbird etc.

4. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

Theres a good bar venti's that has a solid tap list and a real good happy hr deal - 3$ imperial pints.

5. Tharsos

Tharsos Active Member

Thanks, I'll have to check that out. I haven't heard about it which is surprising since its only a few blocks away from the school. Only bar I've been to is The Ram.

6. reedobandito

Tharsos, where do you go? PSU?

7. Tharsos

Tharsos Active Member

8. karmaguy

karmaguy Senior member

anyone have a recommendation for a place to get a good haircut in portland?

9. kixslf

kixslf Senior member

Rudy's is decent albeit kind of annoying at the same time. Good for a 20 dollar cut though.

10. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

michael at rudys pearl location.

11. mymil

mymil Senior member

Oh hey, it's Portland in here.

I liked the cut I got at Rooks, $25.

12. mymil

mymil Senior member

Art n Sole (1412 NE Alberta) is going out of business. These are the Red Wings they had in stock as of last night:

2406 - Steel toe - reddish color sizes: 10E2 (wide), 10.5E2 (wide), 11D (D=regular width) - $102.00
    8111 Iron Ranger - amber 12E2 - $135.00
    9011 Beckman - black cherry - (all D or reg. width) 7, 8, 10, 11.5 - $160.00
    9014 Beckman - black - D widths 7.5, 8, 9.5, 10.5, 11.5, 12 - $$160.00
    6681 Steel-toe hiker sizes: 14, 15 - $50.00
    8681 Soft-toe hiker size: 11.5- $50.00

13. Ritchee

Ritchee Senior member

14. mymil

mymil Senior member

Did anybody else go to Content tonight? If you don't know, Content is an event in which designers have free reign over their installation in a room of the Ace Hotel.

I thought it was interesting---not a very "Portland-y" event, in the way that I tend to think of it, but maybe I just don't travel in the right circles. I personally enjoyed the rooms that focused more on displaying their items than on being installation art. Some of them were inaccessible because they seemed like a designer just hanging out with their friends.

[​IMG]
    I don't know what the point of the room with the mime was... I can't remember what designer they were representing. (http://yfrog.com/h6y4hqqj)

On that note, I think Tanner Goods had my favorite installation. The goods were well-presented, there were some interesting leatherworking tools around, I got a free pencil, and they were just very open and inviting. I also liked the Draught Dry Goods merchandise---some quality bags and leather goods that are lighter than those from Tanner. Of the more conceptual spaces, I did like the one from Pattern People, which was a peephole into a room covered with bright and interesting patterns.

[​IMG]
    The Draught Dry Goods display---nice leather-wrapped handlebars! (http://instagr.am/p/Ozu2J/)

I didn't make it to any of the after party events because I have a cold...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  15. reedobandito

I was there too! My buddy from Blackbird got us in fo free haha. It was a pretty bizarre event, but very cool nonetheless. Sort of funny, it was the first Portland event I've been to where I actually saw people wearing designer or high end labels.

16. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Guys,

I'm gonna be at the Hilton on 6th street until Friday. Are these places close to where I am. I don't have a car and will be walking.

17. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

any interesting PDX goings on this weekend? coming down from BC for the long weekend

i want a Cut Copy ticket if anyone's got extras

18. mymil

mymil Senior member

Yeah, you're right downtown, so close to a lot of things. And if anything is farther than walking distance, there is a streetcar that runs throughout downtown and good public transportation throughout Portland. You're like a 10 minute walk from Frances May, which is only four minutes away from the Blackbox building (Tanner Goods, Dunderdon, Blackbird). Also only a few minutes from Higgins restaurant, which I think is pretty great---world class service, an immense beer selection, and excellent food.

I don't know what kind of stuff you're into, but:
    http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/EventSearch
    http://www.wweek.com/portland/events
    http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/arts-and-entertainment/find-an-event/
    Wordstock is this weekend if you're into literature.

19. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

i just meant any festivals or annual events that happen to be going on

looking for a non top-40 dance party as well, electro-house-indie-dance-whatnot

20. mymil

mymil Senior member

Well, Wordstock that I mentioned above is one. Of the resources I linked, Portland Monthly Magazine has the most curated list of events. I think Portland Fashion Week will still have events going on this weekend. Lesbian and Gay Film Festival. Tattoo Expo. I don't know what else, and I can't help on the dance party front, sorry.