• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Portland (OR) Shopping Thread

knathaniel

Reaction score
I just moved back here after a couple years and was wondering if anything new has opened in terms of menswear/shopping. Also, @eglbc, I dunno if it's cool to ask, but if you're down to hook me up with an NES pass I'm in need of a new pair of running shoes. If not I totally understand. Thanks either way!

tomenugen

Reaction score
Went to langbaan recently. The food was good, but I don' think it was $75 good. I'd pay $50, tops.
Add Heart Pizza to the long list of great pizza joints.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm heading up to Portland in April staying around W Burnside and the 405 for 3 days, any recs for food, shopping, hiking, must see touristy stuff? Won't be renting a car, figured I'd use public transit (assuming its pretty good) or Uber.

Foodwise planning on hitting up:
Nong's
Imperial
Little Birds for happy hour
Toro Bravo
Pine Street market
Kachka

Might try out Afuri for ramen but was planning on skipping the Korean fare.

Will probably check out Pepe Le Moko for cocktails.

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kachka happy hour very legit.
Kens / apizza scholls / lovleys 50/50 for pizza
Imperial was a pass for me, IMHO theres better options for the money.
Tusk is my favorite new spot. Veg forward, but incredible and i didnt miss any meat at all through the meal.
Trifecta from kens artisan is legit pdx bistro fare.
Laangban.
Ox
Hat yai.

Rum club, hale pele (legit tiki)cask, whiskey library,creepys for drinks.
Beer- great notion, upright, breakside, modern times.

Hike forrest park, lower maclaey trail to pittock mansion is a great urban hike to the best viewpoint in the city.
Much of the gorge is off due to the fire/
Japanese garden worth a peek.

Shoppings pretty hurt these days:
Frances May
Machus
Spartan shop for overpriced home design stuff

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, appreciate it.

Will definitely hit up the pizza joints and some other spots you rec'd. I've only been to Imperial for happy hour. 19 buck steak frites and $5 vieux carre got me drunk and happy.

Didn't know Modern Times was based in Portland. Their sours are good.

fatsu

Reaction score
Thanks man, appreciate it.

Will definitely hit up the pizza joints and some other spots you rec'd. I've only been to Imperial for happy hour. 19 buck steak frites and $5 vieux carre got me drunk and happy.

Didn't know Modern Times was based in Portland. Their sours are good.
Modern Times is from San Diego. I do enjoy their beers quite a bit but their prices are definitely Californian.

My restaurant rec would be Tasty n Alder for breakfast/lunch. Yes it will be packed but it's worth it.

Also recommend forest park and the Japanese garden.

Also I'm new to this forum. Can someone update me on their favorite clothing spots? Streetwear or formal, but I'm not really interested in hype stuff.

dixonmanor

Reaction score
A shout out to some "old-Portland" places that often get overlooked in favor of the new: Luce (pronunced Loo-Chay), Navarre, and Angel Face (cocktail bar next to Navarre). All owned and operated by the same couple, and all are very good. Def more on the Italian side of life, with forays into other Euro-Mediterranean dining cultures. Great wine lists at both Luce and Navarre too.

Other recent faves: Bar Casa Vale, Ox

There is SO MUCH pizza in Portland these days... I'd add Pizza Jerk to Eglbc's list of options. I tried Sizzle Pie for the first time recently and was pretty disappointed.

tomenugen

Reaction score
finally got around to trying han oak and came away impressed. the key is to go in with the mindset that dude is trying to serve korean food to a white audience. are there better korean places in the portland area? sure, but han oak can hold it down.

pelicanese

Reaction score
I'd personally put Michael Allen's just over Collier's for the type of clothing it sounds like you're interested in.

Couldn't agree more with eglbc about the shopping these days: gone way downhill the last couple of years. Lots of good options either gone or long gone. I miss Winn Perry even though I haven't really been dressing in that style in a long time. I do like Machus a ton, but it doesn't sound like yr cup of tea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads