1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Portland (OR) Shopping Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by reedobandito, Jun 27, 2011.

1. mymil

mymil Senior member

^ Carte Blanche is so great, I'm glad the concept is exciting to you! I've been enjoying Bollywood, particularly the chicken kati roll, pork vindaloo, and saag paneer. But I like them so much that they've kept me from eating through most of the rest of the menu...

One addition to my list of quality sandwich places that I forgot to mention: Roman Candle.

PaaDee is great. I almost always get Guay Tiew Kua Gai, but the sai grog e-san sausage, larb hed, and pork belly with green beans are all excellent. Has anybody been to Lang Baan yet? I really want to go.

If you like Thai soups, Tarad (my favorite is B: Guoy Teaw Hoi Ka) is good, too.

Mirakutei is strangely inconsistent. Maybe it's worth giving Boxer another chance...

Can I just reiterate, though, that HA&VL is an ecstatic experience (even for people who don't normally like soup)?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  2. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

Double these both. The sandwiches--and breakfast offerings--at Roman Candle are really fantastic and while it sometimes gets busy, it's nothing like the shitshow that is brunch in this town. My mom's visiting and I wanted to check out Broder Nord, but the timing of her flight etc. put us there a little later than ideal. It was nutso and since I had my son w/ me, we bailed. Drove to Roman Candle, parked in the lot, waited precisely 2 minutes in line, then ate a wonderfully satisfying meal. My son wasn't sold on the granola combo--too many textures for this 4-yr old. But I really love the offerings there.

And yes: go to HA&VL. It's awesome. The ambience, or lack there of, is either charming or a drag depending on your POV, but the soup makes up for it. I haven't made it out for their pho yet...really want to.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  3. snowboardpunk

snowboardpunk Senior member

Idk about nike, you could try contacting them or try buying an employee pass off of someone.

Kinfolk is pretty easy to get into. just stop on by or you can contact them earlier to meet with nathan. Ive been there a couple times and both times I just kinda dropped by.

4. deejaysoy

deejaysoy Senior member

thanks for the Kinfolk info. I'll do that. I just tried to hit up my uncle (employee) about Nike and he declined. Guess I'm not getting in.

5. deejaysoy

deejaysoy Senior member

Thanks everyone for the recs!!! Wife and I had a great time on the baby moon. Bollywood, Carte Blanche and Beast are superior. Agree with you guys on Pok pok, I can just do the wings, papaya salad and coconut rice. Worked in Pine State since the wait for Tasty and Sons was ridiculous. All of PDX came out this past sunny Sunday.

I'm always in town visiting family. Keeping me posted on new recs.

1 person likes this.
  6. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

Finally ate Nongs last night from the storefront. Good stuff. Pork was really good, even if a bit of a gutbuster. I could see eating the chicken 1x a week.
    After watching the new Parts Unknown, I want some bollywood in my life. Does it get super busy? Whats a good time to go?

Any love for La Taq? Went once, and really enjoyed. Brisket anything.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  7. mymil

mymil Senior member

Glad you enjoyed, deejay! Carte Blanche changes their menu ever three-ish weeks, so they'll have something new the next time you're here.

A new recommendation for dinner: Roman Candle. Since they've added some more vegetables and salads on top of their pizza offerings (and they've had burrata on their dinner menu for a while), it's like a baby Ava Gene's! But you don't need a reservation. I went the other night and had a fernet and soda, a slice of nduja pizza (it was the special and how could you not), and the beets/nettles/sesame breadcrumbs/cheese. A perfect dinner.

Also: Lang Baan. I finally went, and it's fantastic! The tasting menu included Thai dishes rarely encountered in Thai restaurants in the US as well as really unostentatious applications of some modernist techniques (e.g. watermelon-infused sticky rice crisp [dehydrated, then fried], sous vide egg). Very worth it.

Bollywood on Division gets busy around 6:30, but it's so big that I've never seen it horrendous. So go whenever.

8. 1969

1969 Senior member

I felt a sense of Deja Vu looking at those fantastic dhabas. Mostly due to the similar vibe given by the lit Coca-Cola signs proclaiming the name of the restaurant and the dirty dinning rooms that reminded me of the fried chicken, soul food and fish fry joints of my childhood. I miss authentic places like that.

9. kiya

kiya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

For those of you in Portland (Oregon) tonight, there is a Union Way block party with free beer and discounts at all the merchants.
    At Self Edge we're offering 15% off everything from 4pm to 8pm tonight, in-store only.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  10. kixslf

kixslf Senior member

To our friends in Portland, stop by the workshop (240 N Broadway) Friday and Saturday for the annual Tanner Goods sample sale.

[​IMG]

11. kiya

This Saturday we’re celebrating our first year at Self Edge Portland with beers, a sale, and a Good Art Trunk Show. Come by and see our summer collections, enjoy a beer, and take a close look at Good Art’s jewelry and accessories!

[​IMG]

12. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

In town for a few days. Thanks for all the recs. Got a reservation at Ned Ludd for Thursday. Will try to make it by Self Edge so that I will have visited all locations. Looking forward to seeing the new Winn Perry. Anything new that's must do/eat?

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Great bar inside of a hotel on the 5th ish floor. Called "farm" something. Great drinks nice place to grab a drink that's refreshing and a bit out of the ordinary and also pleasant

14. kiya

What?

15. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

Must be talking about Urban Farmer in The Nines.

1 person likes this.
  16. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

:lol: i barely could understand myself

yes! thats the place!

17. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

Must do? walk a trail in forrest park. Great fall vibes right now.
    Hit some breweries ( commons, upright, breakside, gigantic, hair of the dog, ecliptic)

Eat? Ox

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  18. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

If at Self Edge, check out the other shops at Union Way.
    Check out Woodlands/TG. Lots more brands in there now.
    Maurice, around the corner from Winn Perry is awesome, for lunch.

The Eater PDX site is pretty spot on w/ reccos these days...

Heart Coffee is excellent, and is nearby to a couple design/housewares shops: Alder & Co. and Canoe.

19. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

^ Awesome. Heart and Coava are on the list. I often forget that Eater isn't just SF. Will check it out. Thanks!

20. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

If Filson is your thing, the store here is pretty nice, and it's directly across the street from excellent coffee at Barista. @Mr. Six