1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Portland (OR) Shopping Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by reedobandito, Jun 27, 2011.

1. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Thanks! Guy at Imogene and Willie mentioned a couple of spots but it was too late...

Got there about 945 on saturday, some bikers there and a dude sleeping in the bowl. Got there about 815 sunday, had it to ourselves until 9 or a little later.

1 person likes this.
  2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

great write-up. looking forward to winn perry next time im there. did you get a chance to review the new shop, if not what did you think?

3. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I liked Winn Perry a lot--Jordan definitely knows what he's doing re: editing a small collection of the type of stuff distinguished by details. I mean, it's hard to be surprising carrying Aldens, Individualized Shirts, LVCs, etc, but most of his makeups are custom and just different enough from what you'd see elsewhere to be interesting.

4. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

Sorry to miss the chance to connect @shoreman1782. If I had know you were on bike and wanted to hit Hair of the Dog I would have told to you come over the bridge! My office is directly across the street.

Glad you had a good trip, and it sounds like you hit a lot of the highlights. Hopefully they'll be another visit sometime!

1 person likes this.
  5. mymil

mymil Senior member

Their chicken and waffles is good, but the last three or four times I went, nothing else was. Depending on the fruit syrup, I personally enjoy Simpatica's chicken and waffles more than Screen Door's, even though it isn't as gargantuan.

6. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

My three musts: Expatriate, Ava Gene's, and Le Pigeon.
    My three avoids: Screen Door... let's just leave it at one. Screen Door might be the most over-hyped restaurant in Portland.
    [/quote

Ava Gene's. So good.

7. pdxvegan

pdxvegan Well-Known Member

This thread might not be the best place to post this but all the bachelor party threads I could find were dead. Just let me know and I can move/delete this post. I was wondering if anyone knew of a secluded cabin/rental within 3 or 4 hours of PDX. Anyway we're looking at getting 12ish guys together in mid May for a bachelor party and I was hoping for someplace we could be loud out in nature without angering neighbors, police, etc. If anyone can direct me to a rental like this I would greatly appreciate it!

8. ahjota

ahjota Senior member

My GF was telling me about Portland Fashion Week in April. Anyone know much about this? How much of a role, if any, does menswear play here?

Also, Winn Perry is nice. Dropped in for the first time on Wednesday. I agree with much of what shoreman said about the store. Very well curated. They have some nice heavyweight 7oz tees that aren't online right now... Jordan said they were made in Portland. I picked up one of those and a checked shirt.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  9. deejaysoy

deejaysoy Senior member

About to do a baby moon in April. Two dinners and two lunches. Potentials are Beast and Ox for dinner. Lunch at Pok pok and Lardo(?). What do you all think? Looking forward to some retail too. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  10. mymil

mymil Senior member

Beast and Ox both rule.

I think Lardo is so extremely overrated. I've eaten through a large percent of their menu, and I find it above average but not exceptional for Portland.

If you're here Thursday-Sunday, I'd hit Carte Blanche for lunch instead of Lardo. It rules so hard. (The owner actually used to work in Pok Pok's kitchen.)

Other highly recommended lunches (if you can be talked out of eating at Pok Pok, which I think is good but not as good as it used to be—I'd rather eat Thai food at Chiang Mai or PaaDee): HA&VL, Little Bird, Accanto

1 person likes this.
  11. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

Lardo is so beat. Can't understand how its growing so fast.
    My latest sammiches from shut up n eat / philadelphia market have been keeping me pretty happy.

So ive been looking for a new weekday happy hour patio spot in SE. Any suggestions other that white owl/roadside? Tables and discounted beer is a must.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  12. mymil

mymil Senior member

I really don't know, either. People like fatty meaty sandwiches that don't challenge their palette (see also: Bunk), I guess. Don't get it, when there are so many better sandwich places in town (e.g. Shut Up and Eat, Meat Cheese Bread, Devil's Dill, Tails and Trotters, Roman Candle, An Xuyen and other banh mi joints...), not to mention places that have great sandwiches on their menu (e.g. Carte Blanche, mentioned above—my favorite!, Gonzo (I'm counting pita), Bollywood Theater (I'm also counting paratha, apparently))... Rick Gencarelli's pasta place, Grassa, rules, though.

Weekday happy hours with outdoor seating in SE: EastBurn? The Standard (technically in NE I guess)?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  13. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

None, lol.

It blows my mind that the dress code for every professional environment I've been in locally is jeans and a sweatshirt.

Or if you're on the east side, male jeggings.

My midwest parents didn't even finish their Lardo sandwiches. My mom flat out didn't like hers. I enjoyed whatever I had, but it wasn't anything special.

If anyone lives in the burbs (read: Beaverton), I really enjoy Shoten sushi by Walker/158th; my gf even approves.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-21362-restaurant-guide-2013-shoten.html

What would you guys say is the best place in Portland to get:

1. Ramen
    2. Pho

14. ahjota

ahjota Senior member

Hah, for sure. It's still a bit of a switch for me. But I've been in Portland for almost a year -- I was referring specifically to the Fashion Week.

15. mymil

mymil Senior member

Portland ramen scene is so weak! It kills me. Boxer Ramen was awesome for two weeks after it opened, but they keep changing their recipes and it keeps going downhill. So disappointing. Mirakutei's ramen is sometimes pretty good (but not fantastic). Biwa is mediocre and overrated. Boke Bowl is... fine, if you add soy sauce to the broth (but their brussels sprout salad and fried chicken are both excellent). I mourn the closing of Wafu, whose ramen at their peak was very good.

If you like pho, you'll love HA&VL (they only serve pho once a week, but their soups are AMAZING). I especially like the peppery pork ball.

1 person likes this.
  16. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Awesome, thanks man, I'll check these places out.

Just remembered, I had ramen at Shigezo and thought it was pretty good.

17. mymil

mymil Senior member

^ I've only been to Shigezo's SE outpost, Yataimura Maru, but wasn't thrilled... I haven't been to Yuzu in Beaverton, but it could be worth a try.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  18. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

shigezo isnt too bad, its a easy fix and not biwa. Mirakutei is my goto.
    Theres a couple soups at Paa Dee that are a good change of pace from ramen. Sweet/sourish broths, maybe Tom yum based? Good noodles, and lots of pork belly and roast porks. If you add an egg, its a good experience.

19. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

Good ramen info. Agreed all around IME. I work across the street from Boke Bowl, so I eat there a lot. I'm a fan, but it's also not trying to be "authentic." And their fried chicken is superior.

I've eaten at Mirakutei three times, twice it was good, but not great, and once it was terrible. Not sure what went wrong. I've only been to Boxer once (about 3 weeks ago) and it was excellent. Closest to any of the ramen I used to get in NY I've had in PDX. (Though I've not been to Biwa in a long, long time).

I'll check out some of the other mentions here.

Re: Lardo/Bunk/etc. I feel like sandwiches in PDX are pretty solid, but tend towards overdone--either too much going on and/or too big, or just too damn rich. I'm all for salty, meaty sandos, but some of the stuff on offer around town is just gross.

+1000 to the Grassa props earlier. That place is a real lunch asset.

1 person likes this.
  20. deejaysoy

deejaysoy Senior member

Thanks you all. I'm excited about Carte Blanche. How's the Bollywood Theater? Btw, does anyone have connects for a tour of Nike or Kinfolk? I know, I'm asking a lot :)