1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Portland (OR) Shopping Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by reedobandito, Jun 27, 2011.

1. dixonmanor

dixonmanor Senior member

Excellent news! Jordan's great!

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

im surprised they kept the blog running this long - good for them.

Dinner reservations at Beast later this week :slayer:

3. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

Yeah, he must have decided it was best to just pay for the hosting. Note that he says Alden will be back on the shelves.

Re: PDX eating/drinking, be sure you head across the street from Beast to Expatriate. Cool space w/ awesome drinks and snacks. Probably best to hit it before, since dinner will leave you pretty full.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

thanks man - will check it out

edit - wow, expatriate received great reviews

5. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

I'm not fucking around up here.

6. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

I'm a midwest boy and haven't explored the Best Coast much. I finally made it up to Seattle a few months ago; the food up there absolutely shits on PDX offerings, which I found hilarious given the food-snobbery 'round here.

7. dixonmanor

dixonmanor Senior member

Yeah, ditto, Expatriate is great.

Otis- any new and notables in Portland? Heading up next week to hang with the fam for the holidays. Doing the Pigeon on the 23rd (my girl's never been) and usually hit Pok Pok, Ludd, Podnah's and the other notables near my dad's house. Just wondering if you've got a stand out favorite among the new crop of great-sounding restaurants that've popped up over the last year (Ox, Ava Gene's, etc etc etc...).

8. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

Portland has some of the best eating on the West Coast, and maybe the country, and that's not snobbery, it's just true. Seattle also has some of the best eating on the West Coast as well. Turning it into a battle of the cities is just asinine. There's maybe 2 cities in the nation w/ similar populations to Portland that can boast anything near its level of eating.

Ava Gene's is worth a visit for sure. It's pretty stand out. Even just a drink and some food at the bar. Shamefully, I've not been to Ox due in large part to strategic dining dates and never being quite into the menu style, even tho I know full well it will be impressive. Ned Ludd is awesome these days. I feel like Jason has really hit a stride and it shows in the food. I think all the press/attention he's gotten has actually fueled him to make better food, rather than the opposite. I really liked the food at Tasty & Alder, but it's loud as fuck and that's not just me getting older.

Kevin from Evoe just opened Davenport (next door to Heart Roasters) like last week, so I've not been yet but his food is seriously some of my favorite to eat so I'm looking forward to that. And Ken Forkish just opened Trifecta Tavern around corner from the OG Bunk. I've only been in during the day for coffee/morning buns, but it looks awesome, and Rich Meyer from Higgins is the chef, and he's just rad.

So that's my two cents!

9. dixonmanor

dixonmanor Senior member

Oh yeah, Trifecta!

Glad to hear Ned Ludd is doing so well... I think it's one of the best in the city, but I feel like it's tough to get tourists over there because it's location is sort of in between destination 'hoods. My dad is on 16th and Fremont, which puts me in close proximity to many of my favorites when I'm in town. Curious to try Rodney's new Tex-Mex thing too.

10. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

I didn't mean to turn it in to that, I was just surprised.

I need to try Ned Ludd - even my therapist recommended it.

11. snowboardpunk

snowboardpunk Senior member

Quote:Ned ludd got better? I was in around april, will have to check it out when I go back to visit pdx. I'm also going to have to ask you whats new and good later on! Plan on visiting home again in february for a couple weeks. Excited to go back!

12. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

Went to trifecta on opening night, it was interesting. Ive never eaten so much bread, but in a good way. Theres a cart rolling around with hot out the oven bread, and the dude is like a bread somillier. Who cares about the rye grain count its bread, give it to me.

Few hits, few misses. The pork rillons were disgusting balls of fried fat. The BLT was good as was the kens salad.

I was hoping for more of a tavern vibe, but its definitely on the nicer/costly dinner tip.
    If I go back i want to hit the entrees and not as many small plates.

Was surprised to hear evoe is cutting back even more, but interested in davenport.
    Nedd ludd sounds like its worth going back to soon, its been a while.

Ava genes was a great meal and experience, highly recommend.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  13. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

My buddy just recently bought the Tube in Chinatown. Great guy, even better dj. You guys should go check out his bar.

14. mymil

mymil Senior member

So did I! Hah. I've been back once since. I love the bar program and their bartenders are all awesome. I've been disappointed by all the food I've had there... but the bread is great. They should do more to showcase it (like Bar Tartine in San Francisco does).

Expatriate is one of my favorite places to eat and drink in Portland right now.

Ava Gene's is fantastic as well---the vegetable side of the menu kills. I also really love breakfast at Roman Candle next door, but this seems to be a contentious position. The fritters and the breakfast sandwich in particular are really good.

The one time I went to Ned Ludd (about a year ago?), it was not up to snuff. It was so disappointing that I've never wanted to go back.

I've been to Davenport once. The food is extremely simple (as you'd expect). It's a little more expensive than it seems like it deserves to be, and I wasn't impressed by what I had.

Has anybody been to Boxer Ramen? I LOVED their ramen when they first opened, but they keep changing it and it keeps getting worse and worse, in my opinion. Frustrating.

Grassa isn't super new anymore, but their pasta is really great and affordable.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  15. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Great thread; feeding my trip map for a quick Portland getaway MLK weekend. (relatively quick; coming from DC)

I know January isn't the best time to visit, but is there anything, sightswise, that's good/better in winter?

Won't have a car, but willing to explore creative transit options.

I'll be staying at the Ace. Anyone has time for a beer I'll be solo Thursday night 1/16, and out somewhere with a buddy Fri, Sat, and Sun.

16. kiya

kiya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'll be around the shop all week/weekend, come by when you can.

17. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

The Japanese Garden is pretty amazing all year--more bare in winter, but that also gives a more open feel. We had crazy cold weather in early Dec, now it's mild and dry. Who knows what's on deck in a couple weeks...

I'm in for that beer! Will follow up via PM.

18. kixslf

kixslf Senior member

Give me a shout! I'm definitely be around to grab a beer. Haven't seen you in ages!

19. kiya

kiya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I just realized something.. there is one thing that in my (limited) experience is better in the winter in the Portland area. Multnomah Falls.
    It's nice in the summer, but in the winter it's pretty unreal because of how the water turns into frozen mist half way down and creates icicles that look to be frozen in time. I'm assuming you'll have a car, it's well worth the 30 minute drive.

20. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Won't have a car. How long will it take me to walk to multnomah (8)

Beers will be got. I'll try to check in on the thread but I get alerts from twitter so feel free to tweet or DM me at panderson2