1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Portland (OR) Shopping Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by reedobandito, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Friskydingo

Friskydingo Well-Known Member

Can't wait to check this out when I come back in fall. I can never resist denim.

2. airblaster503

airblaster503 Well-Known Member

Damn I might finally purchase a pair of Flat Heads since I can try them on. Haven't had a chance to make it to their location in SF when I have been down there.

3. snowboardpunk

snowboardpunk Well-Known Member

oohh ill be there for the party! the space kind of seems too small, when I walked by after visiting steven alan.

4. kiya

kiya Well-Known Member

Its about the same size as our SF and NY stores but oddly shaped.

5. snowboardpunk

haha ok just did a quick glance. But man a lot of stores are coming into that building

6. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Well-Known Member

Are the other stores open in there in Union Way already? Haven't been by in awhile...

7. snowboardpunk

I saw steven alan was open. There was a store with some chocolates, not exactly sure what it exactly is and if its open.

Others dont seem to be open yet. I saw was selfedge and danner, still working on fixing it up. Not sure what the store right next to selfedge was though.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  8. kiya

kiya Well-Known Member

Store right next do is is Canoe's new apothecary.

9. mymil

mymil Well-Known Member

I believe the chocolate shop you saw is Quin, the new candy shop from the founder of Saint Cupcake.

10. mymil

mymil Well-Known Member

Can anybody recommend a place to learn yoga in Portland? I'm interested in it as exercise (strength, flexibility, and stability), not for spirituality. Ideally inner-/upper-SE or inner-/lower-NE, but I can travel. I've never done it before, but I want to try!

11. karmaguy

karmaguy Well-Known Member

RE: the candy store Quin, grab a bag of the coffee gumdrops if you can. off the wall delicious

12. oboy_oboy

There's so much yoga in this town it's absurd. Probably just find the studio that's most convenient to your home or work and give it a try--be sure to look at the class list and pick a beginner class. The studio in my area, Sellwood Yoga, is great. Really excellent teachers. But like I said, there's no need to drive all over town just to try it. There are great studios in every neighborhood.

Beginner yoga is def more about breathing and slow poses, which is nice, but not always a workout (thought it can be). Once you are familiar with that, you can take some classes that move through the poses more quickly, which is both peaceful but also very strength-building.

People do yoga for a lot of reasons--to chill out, to move mindfully, to get a workout. You can determine pretty quickly which of these appeals most to you.

EDIT: Good studios in roughly the area you described: Yoga Bhoga, The Bhakti Shop, Yoga Shala NE. (yoga studios are apparently right there in line w/ Thai restaurants and hair salons when it comes to punny names)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  13. 1up

1up Well-Known Member

Staying at the Monaco, downtown...coming from Vancouver.

Whole weekend is wide open. Any recmmendations? Blake's? Blackbird?

14. oboy_oboy

Blackbird is gone.

Go to Union Way to see Danner, Self Edge, Steven Alan, etc.

Blake is always worth a stop. Frances May is good. Woodlands/Tanner Goods is a killer spot, and you can check out the Poler store next door.

There's tons of food recs in this thread, so browse back a bit.

15. kiya

kiya Well-Known Member

Come hang out with me at Self Edge.
    Also, a friend is DJing at the Stussy pop-up afterparty Saturday night at One Grand Gallery

16. 1up

1up Well-Known Member

Thanks gents.

17. 1up

1up Well-Known Member

Had a time in your lovely city, shoutout to Kiya and James at Self Edge. Awesome store and good people, highly recommended.

18. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was just there. Hit up Tanner but Self Edge wasn't open until 12 and I had to grab the train. Lots of great food.

19. oboy_oboy

Thought I’d share a shopping experience I had yesterday. I was downtown in the pre-Noon window, which on Sunday means that there’s not a lot open yet. Checked out Case Study coffee which was great (because Portland for sure needs more coffee shops….) and walked by the Indochino “traveling tailor” pop-up. I knew it was in town and had thought about checking it out, but I don’t have a lot of free time these days and it wasn’t a real priority, but there it was. So I went in.

Really well laid out, w/ free coffee (from Case Study next door! I could have saved my $3) and a nice, easy to browse set up of their fabrics and options. There were two sales associates in the space, and each one was engaged with a customer. Other than that, I was the only one there. I probably walked around looking at the fabrics and offerings for a 5 minutes or more before either of them addressed me. When they did, it was a nod and smile. That’s it. Not one word about if I had questions about their program (all MTO), that they’d be with me in a minute, etc. Nothing.

I’d guess I’m firmly in the target demo, and was well dressed, etc. When I saw the prices, I was suddenly thinking, “Hmm. Well, in 30 minutes or so, I could be buying a nice MTO SC and that would be great.” But after being more or less ignored, and not really wanting to push for service, I just left. I couldn’t help but think how much more excited I’d be to spend nearly twice as much on an Epaulet jacket due to the nature of the business and the level of service they provide.

The interesting thing is, I knew exactly who they were and how the model worked. The biggest barrier to entry for me was handling the fabrics and being able to interact with someone. So once I was in the door, I was impressed with the fabrics—at least certainly for the prices. A MTO sport coat for $299 (cottons, slightly more for wool) is a pretty nice deal, and since I’m not a big suit and SC guy, they aren’t items I really pick up multiples of.

I left knowing I’ll probably never buy from them, and affirmed in my desire to support smaller shops (locally when possible), especially ones who really show care for their customer. There are certainly plenty of them in Portland.

Random side note: Nordstrom downtown carries Rag & Bone suiting, and it looks great.

20. oboy_oboy

Wow this thread has been dead. Here's something interesting: Winn Perry is reopening in January.

Looks like a space right around the corner from Courier Coffee, between Thai Peacock and Jackpot records.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.