The Ultimate Portland (OR) Shopping Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by reedobandito, Jun 27, 2011.

1. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

I guess Compound is what I meant. Just Be is old name stuck in my head. So, yes, they def do.

I've not been to Slowburger yet. I like the Meatball joint for sure. Not gonna change your life but tasty. Polenta/pork meatball combo is solid.

Haven't had the Laurelhurst or Little Bird one, but I've had Le Pigeon burger, so I'm guessing it's the same. And it's killer (but it's been like 2 years since I've had it...).

2. mymil

mymil Senior member

Hahahaha at Ron Toms/Dig a Pony/etc. All the bro bars are really funny and make no sense, I wish they wouldn't take up good spots in SE.

Third Chiang Mai. I used to go there all the time. It's really good, but so is PaaDee.

Tannery Bar is pretty good, I went once. The bar program is great.
    I haven't had the burger at Slowbar but Slowburger plays Coldplay so that kind of sucks. I think the best thing at the Ocean is Uno Mas; I like their barbacoa and chorizo. June just started a happy hour serving their burger (which I've never had), but that could be another to check out. I think June is awesome in general. I wasn't very impressed by Little Bird/Le Pigeon burger. Have you had the Biwa burger? It's only available late night. I think Biwa is overrated in general and not as quality as it used to be, but their burger is killer.

Nick Zukin ate 72 burgers in Portland two years ago and ranked them all: http://extramsg.com/portland-food/top-10-burgers/

3. mymil

mymil Senior member

Oh, and re: Uncle Dick's. I heard from a woman who worked at Perriera Creperie that the owner is a really big skeeze---like sexually harassing employees skeeze. So not only is his product gimmicky and kind of gross, he is, too. Not really somebody I want to support.

So are there enough people in Portland for a SF meetup? Is that what I'm seeing? Like a small group going to shoot the shit and eat something awesome (since that's what we all seem to be into)?

4. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

Seems like this thread has brought out more PDX folks than in the past! I'd be into a meetup, but I usually can't get out until after 8pm (kid's bedtime).

5. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Just had the pho from Mai Vietnamese food at that food shack square..... Meh. but I had a gyro from that ethipion place a few shacks down and that was pretty good.

Couture and Harlem.... lol... my buddies are djing so I was go.

I will check out the advice for the nike stuff. Thanks guys.

As for a meetup, if you guys do it this week, I might be able to go.

No sales tax is soooo amazing!

6. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

White owl meetup. weekend happy hr goes till 6. 2$beers w. a really good taplist.

7. kixslf

kixslf Senior member

8. mymil

mymil Senior member

Down. I've been hearing good things about White Owl Social Club. This Saturday? My friend's birthday is Sunday, so I couldn't make it that day.

9. snowboardpunk

snowboardpunk Senior member

I'd be down but idk what a meetup consists of or if I can Saturday. I just wanna drink :)

10. mymil

mymil Senior member

This is what a meetup consists of.

11. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Ditto this for Nike swag.

You forgot the broest of bro-bars; Blitz.

I gotta call out the following shops: Manifesto, and the (3) in a row (Tanner, ....).

Walked in every one of these stores and didn't get so much as a look in my direction. No "Hello!", "Can I help you?", nothing. In one store, the employee didn't even look up from their computer they were seated at. Fucking ridiculous for smaller boutiques to treat people like that. It made me uncomfortable to feel like I was being observed with disdain under eerie silence while I scoped out goods, and only encouraged me to continue shopping online.

The best shop, by far, for me, was the Filson store. Good luck walking out of there empty handed or at least without a mental wish list.

12. snowboardpunk

snowboardpunk Senior member

well then I think im going to love meet ups. haha

Oh god not blitz..... Ive been to rontoms once and it waasnt bad. it was after last/first thursday(on alberta) i forget which one it is and it wasnt too bad.

dunderon was pretty bad. I think it depends on who works. At blackbird the girl was pretty friendly before they closed down, and I dont have any problems with woodlands shop. And then filson is too big for me in general. And there smallest size is a small unless its their black label, which they carry xs and still too small.

13. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

How do I score a pass to the employee store?

14. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

No joke. I get in next Saturday and I don't want to be standing at the airport trying to figure out where to eat. Let me know what your availability is like for that week, too, but know that I head out that Wednesday.

15. ahjota

ahjota Senior member

Try knowing an employee.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013