• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Portland (OR) Shopping Thread

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With Portland's growing number of quality boutiques and clothing stores, Portland is redefining itself as a sartorial hotspot (never mind the hipsterdom and rampant lumberjacking). What are your guy's experiences with shopping in Portland? Any secret spots? Good grub (food carts anyone)? Killer sales?

I'll start it off by saying that I think the new Blackbird Ballard has serious potential. I stopped in a week or two ago, and although I wasn't entirely impressed with their selection, the staff was incredibly knowledgeable and very open to ideas and suggestions. Dunderdon however (right next store), failed to impress, and the sales staff didn't seem interested in actually making any sales.

So, what are your guy's experiences in Portland?

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea man, they run rampant here. However, hipsters=great breakfast places. Hipsters love a good breakfast.

karmaguy

Reaction score
man the hipsters love their goddam breakfast burritos, well at least all the hipsters at Reed do.

anyways, definitely check out Blake's on the west end (it's on 23rd i believe?) My favorite store in Portland, a great shop stocked with a ton of great denim (RRL, Raleigh, Sugarcane, LVC, etc). The staff (sam and blake) are great guys and are both knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to any of the products they sell.

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Whole foods is corporate!"

Portlandia was great, for like 2 episodes
plain.gif

Yea karma, I've been into Blake's 4-5 times, always some decent sales. Blake is really nice and chatty too. My go to place is Local 35. Great staff, and a killer sales rack at all times of the year (although I'm depressed to see them stocking lower end brands lately, i.e. RVCA and Cheap monday). Frances May's is the place I go to drool over CP monk straps and the like.

Not Carl

Reaction score
Shopping:

The Woodlands
Frances May
Blackbird
Tanner Goods
Stand Up Comedy Club
Buffalo Exchange (both the Burnside and Hawthorne ones can turn up occasional gems...brand new $800 Y3 cashmere for $30, yes please)
Blake (for the EG and RRL)
Canoe
Hand Eye Supply

Carts:

Creme de la Creme (43rd and Belmont)
Lardo (43rd and Belmont)
Koi Fusion (32nd and Division)
808 Grindz (9th and Alder)
Built To Grill (3rd and Washington)

Ugh, hard to escape this place when it has the best cheap food, amazing micro brews, and $40 for 3.5 of that good ****.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's also Lizard Lounge that has a lot of nau and stuff. Kinda wish I stopped by at Blake.

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've really been meaning to hit up Lizard Lounge and Finn's, the two menswear stores I have yet to visit.

Food cart additions:

The Whole Bowl
PBJ's

Shopping additions:

Local 35

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any good lowkey pizza spots in SE/central? Aside from apizza/kens?
Straight from NY opened on 34th/belmont for some easy cheap slices w. 3.50 craft brew.
Hair of the dog tasting room has become my new somewhat pretentious beer escape.

Looking for a SE bar to call home, beuhulaland is the closest I've come. Any suggestions that got good taps but arent strictly beerfag?

Taqueria lindos michocan meets my standards for pinnacle grimey taco
Pho Hung on powell has some good broth and the viet playboy proprietors quips are worth the trip alone.

2nd'ing L35(good sales),blackbird,woodlands, and all that. Just came across francis may, and like taking the lady there. Ive yet to left lizard lounge with a purchase.
Next adventure is the protip. Bargain basement.

I heard about reville or something, on 23rd with some vintage or workwear vibe. Anyone been?
Seek unique is the spot for vtg industrial antiques, and coava coffee down the way is my new goto coffee stop.

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell me more about this protip and reville...

I hear the newly opened Spirit of '77 (Blazers) is a great bar, just saw it in Maxim the other day.

As for mexican, I'm a huge fan of Por Que No and Cha Cha Cha, both cheap and delicious.

And as a vegetarian, my favorite spot is Vita Cafe on Alberta (not to be confused with Cafe Vita, right down the street). Try the seitan fajitas. **** they are good

Not Carl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eglbc
Are there any good lowkey pizza spots in SE/central? Aside from apizza/kens?
Straight from NY opened on 34th/belmont for some easy cheap slices w. 3.50 craft brew.
Hair of the dog tasting room has become my new somewhat pretentious beer escape.

Looking for a SE bar to call home, beuhulaland is the closest I've come. Any suggestions that got good taps but arent strictly beerfag?

I heard about reville or something, on 23rd with some vintage or workwear vibe. Anyone been?
Seek unique is the spot for vtg industrial antiques, and coava coffee down the way is my new goto coffee stop.

Bars in the SE? Try Victory or Matchbox Lounge (both on Division). I'd say Belmont Station or the Horse Brass but you said "no beerfag"...which is pretty wack man, the NW does beer better then anyone.

And yea, I guess reville...if you like to look like ******* dork in a couple grand worth of mister freedumb

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Not Carl
Bars in the SE? Try Victory or Matchbox Lounge (both on Division). I'd say Belmont Station or the Horse Brass but you said "no beerfag"...which is pretty wack man, the NW does beer better then anyone. And yea, I guess reville...if you like to look like ******* dork in a couple grand worth of mister freedumb
beerfag in a sense that its more about a "tasting room/geekdown" environment than a regular bar. I value and collect/cellar NW releases but it seems like the bars ive been to (green dragon/hub/luckylab) that feature good tap lists aren't always the most enjoyable places to drink. Side note, I heard the gruner dude is opening a spot thats trying to be "just a bar" w/ local stuff so maybe that will hit the mark. Next adventure is a REI for the regular dirtbag climber/mtn man. They got a basement full of used stuff for cheap. Cool collectible mountain gear on the walls thats sadly for display only.

blklblk

Reaction score
the worst breakfast burrito in town is at Zupans on 23rd.

horse brass for fish and chips w/ lots of beers or the acrop for steak, **** and a lot of beer.

or casa diablo for just ****..

there is masu, hiroshi and syun for good sushi.. or saburos for big ass pieces of fish with shiit.

Cafe du berry for brunch, Phil's meat market for lunch..

paxton gate, nike es, tanner, compound, blake

toro bravo for dinner.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads