• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate No-no - handwashing a blazer [unstructured]

touchogrey

Reaction score
Is it plausible to hand wash a unstructured linen blazer to get sweat/odor out?

I have a couple unstructured and quarterlined/nolined blazers that seem they could handle warm water in a tub with a tiny amount of detergent. Just some gentle stirring too. Nothing violent.

In the summer, one sweats, and without lining, they get a bit damp during the more intense temps. Am I crazy here?

Necator

Reaction score
I don't think it should be a problem. I have a couple of linen pants, and they are machine washable.

emptym

Reaction score
If they didn't have any canvasing, I'd probably wash it w/ cold water, roll it in a towel to remove most of the water, then dry it flat on a rack. Just make sure you're OK w/ ruining it.

I once washed a chambray sport coat in cold water. I'd gotten it at a thrift store for about $5, so it wouldn't have been a tragedy had it been ruined. It did shrink a little -- about a half inch in the sleeve and body length. It was fully canvased and lined. The canvasing wrinkled up a fair amount, but I was able to press it back to acceptable level. The main problem was the lining, which shrank much more than the anything else. That I had to take to an alterations tailor for repair.

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did it with a completely unstructured unpadded linen blazer as it was NOS from eBay and smelled like a mildewed stale factory. Washed it in the washer on gentle cycle in cold water, hung it up to dry, ironed it - good as new.

I'd like to know why some of my light colored jackets get dirty marks around the neck when they never come into contact with anything except my shirt collar. Might have to try this again.

Last edited:

mactire

Reaction score
Is it plausible to hand wash a unstructured linen blazer to get sweat/odor out?

I have a couple unstructured and quarterlined/nolined blazers that seem they could handle warm water in a tub with a tiny amount of detergent. Just some gentle stirring too. Nothing violent.

In the summer, one sweats, and without lining, they get a bit damp during the more intense temps. Am I crazy here?

If its linen it should be fine to soak in a tub in lukewarm water, then drip-dry or hang on a washing line. Beware of colour loss or shrinking.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The issues that could occur are what happened to emptym. The different materials used throughout the garment respond differently to washing. Some may not be effected and other materials may shrink more than others. If the more internal fabrics shrink, you may have problems that may not be repairable or too costly to fix. There should be a care label somewhere on the garment, what does it recommend?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 99 34.4%
  • 8”

Votes: 88 30.6%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 33 11.5%
  • 9”

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.4%