• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not technically bespoke but think that this thread is most suited. Spent the week in Northampton, and among other things visited the Crockett & Jones factory. In their showroom they a bunch of old shoes as well, some very fine RTW models from the first half of the 1900's. But the really special ones are a series of display shoes made for an international exhibition in Turin 1911. They are completely handmade, and are among the nicest shoes I've ever seen. Very fine, clean work. Here's some pics:

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ wow, stunning! You should cross post this in the vintage shoe thread.

It's amazing how much higher the detailing standards were for factory shoes in the first half of throat century.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ wow, stunning! You should cross post this in the vintage shoe thread.

It's amazing how much higher the detailing standards were for factory shoes in the first half of throat century.

Yeah of course, didn't think about that, thanks! And do note that these were display shoes for the exhibition, not actual production shoes. Those from that time were very nice as well though, but not like this. But these do show what they were capable of for sure.

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spent a week together with Daniel Wegan who runs the well renowned bespoke department of Gaziano & Girling in Northampton, following the production of a pair of austerity brogues for me. There's a walkthrough with over 130 pictures on my blog, but thought I'd share some of them here:

Pattern tested with a scrap leather upper:

The real parts marked out on the hide:

Upper closed, before lining:

Insole being prepared:

Checking toe shapes:

Welt stitching done:

Taped metal shank:

Bottom filling done, G&G uses felt for their bespoke:

Little space doing the sole stitching at the waist, to be blind welted:

Sole stitching done:

Heel building:

Edges finished:

Patina:

Will take some proper pics of the finished shoes later on.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like and admire almost everything Daniel is doing. Can't think of a thing I do differently except the way I handle the heel seat.

Good looking shoes.

florent

Reaction score
[x-post apologies]
Here is a pair of John Lobb Paris from 1983 I thrifted recently. The level of craftmanship is sick!

Unfortunately not my size...
ffffuuuu.gif

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How high are the heels on these bespoke shoes? They seem consistently taller than most RTW shoes.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The truth is this entire thread is ruse. Everybody has just been wearing women's shoes the whole time. These no such thing as bespoke shoes!

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clifford Roberts Black Coffee calf
I like mixing brogueing with handsewn aprons

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Alas I am a wide-ish 9, but what a lovely piece of work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads