• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

New Cleverley bespoke balmorals (more details here):

Nice, so you're out of the one shoe deal

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the club! I have a pair of navy chelsea boots and some grey loafers coming for summer.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
:slayer:

John Lobb St James. Fit is great as always. Still some finishing issues that I now think is part of the charm with these guys.

this look miles more bespoke than those cleverleys just posted :slayer::slayer::slayer::foo:

johanm

Reaction score
Those Lobbs are awesome - restrained and elegant.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I think he might be suggesting impishly that slightly scruffy finishing, a rather flat polish job and a more conservative shape, give a special air of artisan authenticity. Maybe JLSJ think a mirror shine and smooth edges are for fairies. :)

They're both wonderful - the beautifully-finished GCs and the earnestly genuine JLs. But I have to say that blue croc wholecut will be the one I dream of tonight. Maybe I should visit Warsaw...any volunteers to interpret?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't like the straight-backed heel of the Lobbs. I think they'd look better canted.

damiance

Reaction score
thanks!

Today I have taken only two pictures, please give me a few days I will post more ...

cost = 2200 PLN (standard price for calf shoes at Januszkiewicz's workshop) + crocodile leathers (bought by myself. Not from shoemaker's standard offer, but he can source such)

current FX rates:
EUR/PLN=4,15
USD/PLN=3,10

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

How do you mean?

too many straight lines in the last, no curve or contours, which for me makes them look quite shapeless and very generic RTW feel to them IMO - the lobbs have a more defined shape, also look at them and compare them to the japanese bespoke shoe thread, any of the shoes in there, and id guess most of those shoes too are made for folks with flat feet too.

also i am not a fan of how they have done the side seam too, if they can do seamless then which is fine, because i know its not easy for make to do with this design, they should have hand skin stitched the inside seam, it would have given it a clean more elegant finish and would make the seam nearly invisable, but knowing clev's i am sure they fit very well

1 question, how high are those heels?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

too many straight lines in the last, no curve or contours, which for me makes them look quite shapeless and very generic RTW feel to them IMO - the lobbs have a more defined shape, also look at them and compare them to the japanese bespoke shoe thread, any of the shoes in there, and id guess most of those shoes too are made for folks with flat feet too.

also i am not a fan of how they have done the side seam too, if they can do seamless then which is fine, because i know its not easy for make to do with this design, they should have hand skin stitched the inside seam, it would have given it a clean more elegant finish and would make the seam nearly invisable, but knowing clev's i am sure they fit very well

1 question, how high are those heels?

I don't think Asians, or Japanese people specifically, are any more likely to have flat feet. Or are they?

Interesting, your observations about the sculptedness. To my eye, the curves are definitely there--they just aren't stylized. In fact, when compared to my RTW shoes, the Cleverley pair is definitely more . . . odd. The proportions are not what would look good on a shelf.

The heel is 1 3/8 inches.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads