• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm thinking about next bespoke project, now a seamless wholecut with or without medallion.
What do you guys think about impala leather for a wholecut?
I was impressed by the structure of it, what about durability, maintenance?
Or I better stick to calf?

as per bengals advise i dont think imparla would be doable for a seamless wholecut, my advise is stick to calf - and i have both shoes and skins

sdolina

Reaction score
Many thanks. For sure I'll discuss this with shoemaker, just want independent opinion.
Actually I was impressed by impala shoes in the nutcracker's thread. But if calf is better then i'll stick to calf.

Luk-cha, may I ask you to post a pic of your impala leather shooz?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have to preface this with the disclaimer that I've never seen nor handled impala. But I have done a lot of "blocking" in my time and have actually blocked leather for seamless wholecuts.

Leather manufacturing quality changes over time...seldom for the better if history is any indication. And the tannage is not the only factor in the quality of the leather--the way the animal lived and its diet ,etc., make a significant difference.

I have worked with antelope and deer and elk and all kinds of wild animal skins. I've never been impressed with leathers from small herbivores such as deer or antelope. That may be a function of expectations in this culture and the way those leathers are tanned but most of them end up being too soft and spongy to make good shoes without additional processes like shrinking the leather. And the smaller, more vulnerable the animal the less likely the leather will be firm or dense.

If the leather is heavily textured because it has been shrunk...like "bullhide"...the texture will not hold during any kind of deliberate stretching, such as over the toe or when blocking for a wholecut. At first glance, that can be good if you're trying to stretch it in four different dimensions at once. It means that there is surplus substance to move and conform to the contours of the last. Depending on the tannage however, the shape may not hold very well when it is made into a shoe.

If the texture is both pronounced and natural and the leather is firm as opposed to spongy, it will make blocking the leather over a last difficult, maybe impossible...again depending on tannage.

And of course all of this is predicated on the assumption that this "impala" really is African Antelope.

--

Last edited:

sdolina

Reaction score
Thanks again, this knowledge is exactly what you can expect from a shoemaker.
What leather would you advise if I prefer lightly structured leather like impala - hatch grain or raindeer comes to my mind, both hardly available by Maftei.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks again, this knowledge is exactly what you can expect from a shoemaker.
What leather would you advise if I prefer lightly structured leather like impala - hatch grain or raindeer comes to my mind, both hardly available by Maftei.

Well again it depends on the tannage but a nice chrome or veg calf would probably be best. Veg tanned leather will hold its shape a bit better than chrome tannages.

That said, I've had good luck with a veg retan water buffalo calf. It has a random hatching and texture and some of that again allows the leather to move.

I would think that hatch grain or the raindeer might work...again, I'm a little leery of the raindeer, but I have seen some that appeared to be veg tan coming out of Sweden--Morjärvs Skinn--that I liked real well.

I'm not saying that the impala won't work...back to the old refrain "depends on the tannage," and the way it has been "curried" and finished off. Again, I've never worked with impala.

I'm just saying there are good reasons to know what you're getting into and to be informed.

--

Last edited:

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Many thanks. For sure I'll discuss this with shoemaker, just want independent opinion.
Actually I was impressed by impala shoes in the nutcracker's thread. But if calf is better then i'll stick to calf.

Luk-cha, may I ask you to post a pic of your impala leather shooz?

here you go!

http://www.styleforum.net/t/236162/...shoo-Appreciation-theard/4660_20#post_5694848

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Winot

Reaction score

Personally I think natural grain/textured hides looks way better than artificially textured calfskin...

I agree with this - in fact I was in Cleverley today for a fitting of a pair of pigskin double monk ankle boots. I chose pigskin over pebble grain calf because I preferred the nature texture (although I have had pebble grain shoes/boots made before).

I also bit the bullet and ordered some midnight blue stingray wholecuts (ouch on the price but I'm confident they will look amazing).

Next commission is likely to be a pair of full brogues in the Horween cross-hatch cordovan, or maybe something based on the Cleverley Devon design (their website shows a crocodile/tobacco suede combination but might go for Russian reindeer/tan calf). Would also love a pair of chukkas made from hippo. So many possibilities - it's a good job for the bank balance that they can only make one pair at a time.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FAIK, hatch-grain is not natural. Especially not for the products mentioned. Shell is not naturally hatch-grain--it is a muscle sheath. Most, if not all of of the "russia calf" type hatch grain is created by folding and creasing, and tumbling (like shirts in a clothes dryer).

Any texture that pulls out...over the toe, over the heel stiffener...during lasting is almost certain to be induced / artificial.

Last edited:

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

AFAIK, hatch-grain is not natural. Especially not for the products mentioned. Shell is not naturally hatch-grain--it is a muscle sheath. Most, if not all of of the "russia calf" type hatch grain is created by folding and creasing, and tumbling (like shirts in a clothes dryer).

Any texture that pulls out...over the toe, over the heel stiffener...during lasting is almost certain to be induced / artificial.

agree, but the hatch grain is the nicest IMO of all the man made textures

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Winot

Reaction score

AFAIK, hatch-grain is not natural. Especially not for the products mentioned. Shell is not naturally hatch-grain--it is a muscle sheath. Most, if not all of of the "russia calf" type hatch grain is created by folding and creasing, and tumbling (like shirts in a clothes dryer).

Yes, I realise that horses don't have naturally cross-hatched behinds! Apparently Horween will add cross-hatching to any cordovan you want, although it can take up to a year. Cleverley said that they had some midnight blue cordovan in stock (not sure if cross-hatched or natural) and could get other colours e.g. green.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bespoke paddock boots, bought while on my post-wedding trip in Seville. Like me, they too are now a bit long in the tooth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads