• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohm
Discussions of gemming should go in the Official Gemming thread. Let's get this thread back on track.

All from here.

Koji Suzuki (boots included just for DWFII
smile.gif
).
LiTUh.jpg

fzqH0.jpg

kAN3i.jpg

IcjXH.jpg

9dCL4.jpg

CGVJt.jpg

1Qasr.jpg

Edward Green bespoke
YVdJe.jpg

l45Oe.jpg

cLDfl.jpg

Wx6Qc.jpg

d63G9.jpg

DlTx1.jpg

cpW3T.jpg

Mc3vz.jpg

j144S.jpg

NAzQP.jpg

EpkVP.jpg

KLnar.jpg

Lobb
1pMLG.jpg

RjjPc.jpg

XDtye.jpg

2WzaA.jpg

Cleverley
GgjDA.jpg

c1N6z.jpg

c0yqC.jpg

o07iV.jpg

lKqH1.jpg

VE9RK.jpg

G&G
KUUtJ.jpg

IKJtf.jpg

xAhiT.jpg

4lUDE.jpg

I think I just came. That's normal, right?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The way the waist meets the heel is really sloppy, it is like the outsole doesn't extend to the heel with the heel on top. Plus, it looks like the trees are stretching them a bit.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sterling Gillette
Thank you. They are ridiculously comfortable. I am uncertain about the heel, though. I am thinking about having it heightened ever so slightly and tapered a bit more. We'll see when the maker wants to see me again, after a short break-in-period.
I prefer the wider, shorter heels. The tall, narrow ones make me twist my ankle on occasion.
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855
These RL Norwegians are in my opinion beautifully made and the stiching is extremely well executed, I was wearing them when I went to see a trunk show by Paulo Scafora, nice guy but he had the cheek to run his fingers over them and say they were not as well made as RTW Edward Greens. I was not overly impressed with what he was offering as a handmade bespoke shoe for the same price, you could not tell the difference between his bespoke and RTW. I think its not only the personal last, you need to really up your game in terms of leather quality and finishing to really produce a something worthy of being called true bespoke.
I love how you shot the exotics "in the wild."
Originally Posted by DWFII
... But I have always loved the way they finish the sole and heel. The waist work is really impeccable...especially the clean way in which the heel joints the edge of the sole. There's that "notch" at the breast that not only separates and sets off the heel...and, at the same time, accentuates the waist...but makes it look taller than it really is...
laugh.gif
FW(little)IW, I'm not a big fan. Maybe because I'm already tall and thin enough as it is. Plus, I like the stability of a wide, short heel, particularly when backing up on the motorcycle.
Well, I can post them...but where?
A new thread! Or the old gemming one.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohm
Edward Green bespoke
YVdJe.jpg

l45Oe.jpg

cLDfl.jpg

Wx6Qc.jpg

EG has a bespoke service? I thought Top Drawer MTO was their best offering.
puzzled.gif

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Thank you for that clarification...pretty much what I thought.

That said, while not intending to revive a brouhaha that hits all the tender parts for some folks...there is an objectively demonstrable difference in the quality--the superiority--of handwelted versus gemmed/goodyear techniques.

That's my take as a maker.

Just a quick step back here on Gemming and in order to educate. I have spoken to Dean Girling about this and he informs me that yes all the bespoke shoes of course have a hand sewn leather rib which is cut in to the sole by hand and hand welted. The ribbing that they use on their RTW/MTO line is the same that all the other prestige English Houses use, such as JL and EG. Its very durable and this process has been used in Northampton since the 1950/1960s'. There are no current RTW/MTO in England which are not made this way. He added that if a RTW shoe were to be made with a handsewn rib/welt the retail would be closer to GBP 1,500.

Does anyone know if Vass shoes use a hand sewn leather rib or Gemming ?

Please do post the pic you mentioned earlier, either here or start a quick post on construction techniques.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855
Just a quick step back here on Gemming and in order to educate. I have spoken to Dean Girling about this and he informs me that yes all the bespoke shoes of course have a hand sewn leather rib which is cut in to the sole by hand and hand welted. The ribbing that they use on their RTW/MTO line is the same that all the other prestige English Houses use, such as JL and EG. Its very durable and this process has been used in Northampton since the 1950/1960s'. There are no current RTW/MTO in England which are not made this way. He added that if a RTW shoe were to be made with a handsewn rib/welt the retail would be closer to GBP 1,500.

Does anyone know if Vass shoes use a hand sewn leather rib or Gemming ?

Please do post the pic you mentioned earlier, either here or start a quick post on construction techniques.

Vass is hand welted, AFAIK.
Actually you can tell the difference when you look to the insole.
The gemming insole always stay smooth and flat except by your foot imprint.
The hand welted shoe have small dimples around the "edge" of the insole, since the thread "pulling" underneath .

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
puzzled.gif

I am interested in this answer as well
smile.gif
Since I need a pair of Gresham.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
puzzled.gif

Tony gaziano used to run the EG bespoke service before they decided to get out of bespoke. Do a search back to 2007 or so and you can find the discussions.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
The way the waist meets the heel is really sloppy, it is like the outsole doesn't extend to the heel with the heel on top. Plus, it looks like the trees are stretching them a bit.

Perhaps the customer had strange feet? I guess that is the problem (?) with bespoke
smile.gif

Then again, I could be wrong. Heh.

And the more I see of Koji Suzuki, the more I want...

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
Tony gaziano used to run the EG bespoke service before they decided to get out of bespoke. Do a search back to 2007 or so and you can find the discussions.

Ha, did not know that! The toe shape on that bespoke black EG punch cap and the way it slopes down looks a bit like some of the Cleverley or Foster stuff.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha, did not know that! The toe shape on that bespoke black EG punch cap and the way it slopes down looks a bit like some of the Cleverley or Foster stuff.

Interesting observation--it definitely seems that EG was 'controlling' Tony's style when he was running the bespoke operations their. I really do think that EG bespoke was sublime...

Yale Cameron

Reaction score
Tony was at cleverly before he started EG's bespoke service, hence the cleverly chisel toe influence.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads