• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ugly American?

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first post to the forum, and I wanted to start by saying what a nice little place you all have here. Just a bit of lurking has helped me learn so much.

Anyway, my situation is this: I am an American who is going to be living in Europe. I'll be based in Spain for the foreseeable future and travelling pretty often to London, Paris, Switzerland, and Germany. Although I always considered myself decently, if not exceptionally, dressed by American standards, I feel like some of my clothes are going to be out of place. Obviously, my baseball caps are going into storage. But I'm starting to sense that, compared to the people I'm having meetings with or going out with, my nice Brooks Brothers suits feel shapeless, my tailored shirts look ridiculously large, and I guess I should just burn my chinos.

This coincides with a time when I have a bit more income and a lot more desire to update my wardrobe anyway, based in part on what I've been learning here on SF. I understand I shouldn't change my style just to fit in, but I wanted to ask any of you who might have experience or insight:

1. Is "business appropriate" in Europe different from what it might be in America?

2. And is there anything which just makes you immediately say, "Ugh, that looks terrible. What is he, from the States?" (I'm thinking along the lines of when we in the US see a middle-aged man in a Speedo and assume he's European. Because, really, there's no other excuse.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Percy Trimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheIdler

. . . is there anything which just makes you immediately say, "Ugh, that looks terrible. What is he, from the States?"

Trousers too short.
Jacket sleeves too long.
Striped ties because you like stripes.
Button-down collars.
Shoes that seem to have an extra sole.
Shoes with funny tassles.

(With respect and affection)
Trimmer

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Spain a lot of presumably well dressed people actually wear their trousers very short. Sometimes, in "pijo" men's cloathing stores, they try to convince me that I should wear my clothes that way.
Were in Spain will you be based?
In what kind of business will you be?

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're an American. It's impossible to 'affect' European, on the basis of one business trip. I see no reason, unless you want it that way, to change anything about your business wardrobe. So long as it's neat, fitted as you like, and clean . . . you should be fine.
What to me, screams American? Let's just put it this way: I know it, when I see it. And not all of it is bad. Not by any means.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Percy Trimmer

Trousers too short.

Funny...that seems British to me.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I tend to think of an American look as often including jeans or chinos, a polo or golf shirt, and a wind breaker. I tend to think Americans are more likely to wear sneakers as every day shoes and there is always the fanny pack. I have rarely seen SB blue blazers worn by Europeans. Europeans, as a group, will tend to experiment more with color than Americans. Hence, of a I see a group of businessmen out to lunch, the brown shoes usually belong to the Europeans. (I am not including London in this last observation.)

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Spain, wearing a solid white shirt with the suit, people have told me that I look like an American lawyer.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
In Spain, wearing a solid white shirt with the suit, people have told me that I look like an American lawyer.

I never wear a white shirt, unless I specifically want to look american. all of my shirts now in rotation are blue, in the darker shades.

I would suggest keeping your eyes open and picking out things that you like. one major warning - try to avoid copying things that are specific to a club/group - some ties, some jewlery, etc may imply membership in a group.

I usually wear dark suits, for years it was striped DB, but now it is mostly SB 3 piece solids, with dark blue shirts and solid or simple dark ties, black ankle boots. nobody every thinks I am american.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with looking like an American visiting Europe? I mean, this is what you are. It should be obvious, but there's a difference between dressing like an American and acting (or even dressing) in a rude or boorish manner.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Funny...that seems British to me.
Yeah. Or at least, I rarely see Americans with trousers too short. Too long, on the other hand, fits 2/3s of the suit wearers in Manhattan.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
What's wrong with looking like an American visiting Europe? I mean, this is what you are. It should be obvious, but there's a difference between dressing like an American and acting (or even dressing) in a rude or boorish manner.
One thing is visiting Europe, and another thing is living here and working here. I think that one of the interesting things with living abroad is "getting into" the country in which you live. This does not necessarily mean that you give up your identity, but indeed that your identity grows more international and, I think, richer: you can choose some of the things that the new environment offers you, and preserve the things you wish to preserve of your old stuff and habits. If you do it right, you can get the best of both. If you do it wrong, you may end up with the worst of both (and that would, of course, be horrible).
Over the years I have acquired a lot of "Spanish" habits that appear to "surprise" some of my old Swedish friends, but I must say that I am very happy with them. And I must say that I dress much better now than when I left Sweden.

pinchi22

Reaction score
As another American living in Spain, I´d say don´t fret about others detecting you´re an American. They will tell so by your accent, unless you´re fortunate enough to not have one.
blush.gif

Tips to not look too American in the workplace:

1. Ditch your plain white shirts.

2. Ditch any chunky cuff links.

3. Save your button-down shirts for after-work/weekends.

4. Toss any bow ties, seesucker suits or spectator shoes.

Tips to not look too American out of the workplace:

1. Ditch your baseball caps.

2. Save any white plastic shoes for the gym.

There are regional differences in Spain: For example, Barcelonans tend to dress in darker colors, Madrileños in more colorful attire. Where will you be living?

Other than that, you will probably blend in (if that´s your objective). Plenty of Spaniards wear polo and RL button-down shirts on the weekend.

Also, the situation is changing: Until recently you´d only see shorts on school kids (ie, private school uniforms), but you now see some middle-aged men with shorts, no socks and loafers on hot summer days (maybe its´global warming).

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wish to look Spanish in summer, you may want to use short-sleeve shirts with your suit (with or without tie). I find it horrible, but it is a very common office look around here.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pinchi22
Toss any bow ties, seesucker suits or spectator shoes.
The only time I have seen a bowtie in a professional environment here was when a German colleague came over for a meeting with one of our clients.
I have never seen any spectator shoes here, except once or twice at a milonga.
It's a pity that seersucker suits are not more common, they would be fine in our summer climat.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa

If I'm not mistaken, in Italy white shirts are more or less reserved for special occasions like first communion, weddings, christenings, funerals, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads