• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ubiquity of famous modern furniture pieces

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll make attempt to divert this from turning into a mud-slinging match.

The early modernist furniture is not necessarily one meant to call attention to the piece itself. Most of the stuff produced by masters and students of the Bauhaus were very unassuming when placed in homes and buildings designed by the same group of architects and those who have fallowed suit.

The first thing you notice about a place like Villa Tugendhut is not the MR lounge chairs.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'll make attempt to divert this from turning into a mud-slinging match.

The early modernist furniture is not necessarily one meant to call attention to the piece itself. Most of the stuff produced by masters and students of the Bauhaus were very unassuming when placed in homes and buildings designed by the same group of architects and those who have fallowed suit.

The first thing you notice about a place like Villa Tugendhut is not the MR lounge chairs.

+1

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That is more or less what I said.

Anyway, new, unfamiliar things that draw attention due to the fact they are new and unfamiliar aren't necessarily intrinsically attention-getting or odd. The Tom Dixon mirror balls, for example. They are are just round metallic spheres. The form could not be more simple and minimal.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, this is the picture of my living room I was referring to:

fooroomday_zps206b24d5.jpg

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That is more or less what I said.

Anyway, new, unfamiliar things that draw attention due to the fact they are new and unfamiliar aren't necessarily intrinsically attention-getting or odd. The Tom Dixon mirror balls, for example. They are are just round metallic spheres. The form could not be more simple and minimal.

Frankly, most postmodern designs are attention whores.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Foo: It looks much better than I thought it would, though still not my style. I'll refrain from rehashing.

Only in the modern style do you have named iconic pieces. With everything up to art deco, you have some well known makers, but never single pieces that are famous.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are plenty of iconic pieces up to modern.

The Morris chair:

Thonet chair

Mackintosh chair

Vanity Fair by Poltrona Frau

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, this is the picture of my living room I was referring to:

fooroomday_zps206b24d5.jpg

The problem I see here is that nothing looks like it was acquired over time.. it's readily apparent that it was all bought at the same time in attempt to make everything 'fit.'

Maybe it's just my taste for the modern/vintage type of style - tends to communicate more of a story:
image.jpg

image.jpg

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it's just that you have taste for the eclectic, which is fine, but can be collected in a short time period as well. I just tend to avoid spending an over abundance of time spent thinking about what things go together, if I find myself doing that then I will have to leave it alone for a while before I make a decision. Otherwise, at least for me, it seems quite forced.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads