1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The ubiquitous white shirt!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jovan, Jun 7, 2006.

1. old dover trad

old dover trad Well-Known Member

I already said I'm not trying to be a Sean Connery (though that would help my budget significantly), but I just like the style of his shirts. White button downs aren't really my cup o' tea, though I've considered getting a check shirt with a button down collar and twin button barrel cuffs... very English.

Please don't get the double buttons Javen. That just isn't the right idea when it comes to a OCBD. This will look out of place please.

2. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

Jovan

Make sure that when you take your ocbd to the cleaners you ask for heavy starch. This way you won't wrinkle in the FL summer Humidiity.

Heavy starch was the predecessor to wrinkle free!

3. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

Starch also makes your cuffs and collars cleaner. Regardless, please don't get an OCBD. I don't know why everyone here is obsessed with trad, but you're too young-looking to look natural in that. Unless you're a typical ivy prep than you should shy away. I don't even have more than 3 OCBDs and I go to Princeton! (and I wear the collar unbuttoned, TAKE THAT TRADS!) UDESHI made some shirts like this but they're hella expensive. 125 right now I think.

4. old dover trad

old dover trad Well-Known Member

Starch also makes your cuffs and collars cleaner. Regardless, please don't get an OCBD. I don't know why everyone here is obsessed with trad, but you're too young-looking to look natural in that. Unless you're a typical ivy prep than you should shy away. I don't even have more than 3 OCBDs and I go to Princeton! (and I wear the collar unbuttoned, TAKE THAT TRADS!) UDESHI made some shirts like this but they're hella expensive. 125 right now I think.

I am sorry west but I DON'T think this is the right advice. Jevan should get a white OCBD if he wants to and not worry about his age. OCBD is the best option to add early in your wardrobe it gets better in time.

Jevan please consider my advice.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Try the Adlai Stevenson by 16sur20. They cut their shirts reasonably slim, use good materials, and have decent workmanship. And with the 25% off coupon, you don't get a much better shirt for $110 or so, unless you are willing to try your luck at sales or Ebay.

If you want to spend big bucks, Brioni makes the James Bond shirt. French cuffs, Heavy, solid semi-spread collar, terrific middleweight herringbone material. Occasionally, I've seen these on sale at Filene's Basement for $199, and they still go like hotcakes at that price. The current retail on these is $425, I think. However, the shirts made for the American market are made guys who look more like Donald Trump, and less like Pierce Brosnan.

Personally, my favorite shirts are the stretch poplin barrel cuff model that Prada has been making for years. They have a nice semispread collar, are cut slim enough to wear with jeans, but look great under a sportcoat, and are modern but not outlandish. Purists may scoff, but the cut and material of these stretch shirts are a great part of what made Prada a sensation in the early 90's.

6. jml90

jml90 Senior member

I thought Bond wore a more spread collar not a semi spread, no?

7. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

You know, I recall Bond wearing a pink tie that was 2 buttons too short in Diamonds are Forever. http://bondmovies.com/stills/daf/37.jpg There we go. Regardless, his shirts are usually full spread, as in the picture.

8. jml90

jml90 Senior member

LET US NEVER SPEAK OF BOND ILLY AGAIN (Thick German accent) *Nazi Salute*

9. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

old dover trad: I happen to like rounded cuffs with double buttons, as it looks a hell of a lot less boring than the typical single button. Shirtmaven: My "cleaners" are my washing machine's delicate setting and myself. [​IMG] Honestly, I don't think it's worth my time or money to have someone else do something I'm perfectly fine at. Then again, I don't buy expensive shirts either. I'm not a big fan of starch, personally. westside: If I ever see your collar buttons undone in person I'll kill you with my bare hands. I'm definitely no slave to tradition as most people here know but, come on, that just looks sloppy... AND NO STARCH! Back to you, old dover trad!: I'll consider it, but I don't necessarily agree with it. And if I get a button down, it will be be check. Something about those two paired together has a sort of casual elegance to me. You should consider trying to spell the person's name right of whom you're trying to give advice to, by the way.[​IMG] LA Guy: Don't know if you caught on earlier in the thread (and maybe I didn't say much about it) but I'm getting this next shirt from Baron Boutique for $49. They already have my measurements, have done a great job before, and are an inexpensive way for me to go on my budget. jml90: I think you're right. Magnoli's repro of his turnback cuff shirt has this collar. westside again: That wasn't my favourite movie for Bond style at all. :-/ jml90 again: Um, have fun with that.

10. new obsession

new obsession Senior member

How did you get your measurements to Baron? Send them a shirt, do it yourself, or in person? Just curious, probably not going to complicate my life with another shirt option, but education is a continuous process...

11. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Measurements are taken by the customer (in my case by a friend) and sent via the internet on the order form. My relationship with them has been pretty good as I've let them know how the shirt's settled in over time and washings. They've adjusted the measurements accordingly and always been helpful with any problems that come up. They really do seem to have a good knowledge of body types, as I (sometimes difficult to fit) got a near perfect fit the first time.