• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tuxedo...

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what the current general sf consensus is for wearing a tux. Ive been to a number of black tie occasions and weddings, and it seems that only about 10% of the people there were wearing tuxes, and the rest were wearing dark suits, white shirts and solid dark ties. At the wedding, even the groom wasn't wearing a tux. So I'm wondering if wearing a tux is a lost art, like the morning coat...

Please share your opinion

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of tuxes, but this could be primarily due to 2 reasons...I rarely attend events where a tux would be appropriate, and when I do, it's always been because I'm in a wedding party and I'm required to wear a cheap rental from Men's Wearhouse. Maybe I would like them more if I actually had a chance, or better yet a purpose, to wear a nice one.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Most weddings ive been to are during the day...hence evening wear would be (should be) out of the question. Im getting married in july, and going with a nice grey suit. Figure ill get more wear out of it than a tux....chalk it up to me being a cheap bastige.
laugh.gif

chevron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
Most weddings ive been to are during the day...hence evening wear would be (should be) out of the question. Im getting married in july, and going with a nice grey suit. Figure ill get more wear out of it than a tux....chalk it up to me being a cheap bastige.
laugh.gif

And the reception?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chevron
And the reception?

Being directly after the main event in most cases, even according to traditional rules the same attire would be appropriate. If there's a break in the action, so to speak, where people go back to hotel rooms or whatever for a significant period, then changing would be more appropriate.

As for the tuxedo, it will be around as long as there are formal events and people still wear suits for day to day business, at least in enough areas for it to be seen as relatively normal. The sense of formal events is a step up from everyday apparel, so among crowds used to dressing in sweatpants and hoodies, formal means shirt and tie. In groups used to business casual, it means a suit. With groups used to suits, it means formalwear.

The tuxedo itself is a work of art if done properly. Clean, simple lines and stark contrasts. It makes everyone look good. Done badly, you can look like a clown.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love wearing a tux, and do so whenever possible. I go to the Nashville Opera and the Nashville Symphony pretty often, and I always wear a tux. It's fun, and I look awesome.

Screw being "overdressed", it's the yokels wearing NFL jerseys to the opera that are wearing inappropriate attire.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^This. I rock the tux and people notice, and since I wear it correctly I get compliments and the interests of beautiful woman.

TRA8324

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I love wearing a tux, and do so whenever possible. I go to the Nashville Opera and the Nashville Symphony pretty often, and I always wear a tux. It's fun, and I look awesome.

Screw being "overdressed", it's the yokels wearing NFL jerseys to the opera that are wearing inappropriate attire.

my GF has been trying to get me to go to the symphony with her for a while...sounds like an excuse to buy a tux. haha

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRA8324
my GF has been trying to get me to go to the symphony with her for a while...sounds like an excuse to buy a tux. haha

Go for it! Somebody posted in another thread that JAB has their signature one-button peak lapel tux on sale right now for like $250 or something.

I'll be at the symphony this weekend for Holst's "The Planets".
smile.gif

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I go to the Nashville Opera and the Nashville Symphony pretty often, and I always wear a tux. - - Screw being "overdressed", it's the yokels wearing NFL jerseys to the opera that are wearing inappropriate attire.
One of you is at the wrong Opry.

nelly

Reaction score
If you buy a tuxedo, you will get a chance to wear it at least once a year on New Year's Eve. No one will ever bat an eye. You can walk into a pizza place at 2am on January 1st in NYC and it's perfectly appropriate.

I have some evening wedding receptions to go to this year and will be sporting a tux.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads