• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The tux with or without waist covering question..

eamo

Reaction score
So SuitSupply sold me a nice-for-the-price tux for my wedding. My father in law got the same one. We got all the bells and whistles and I was happy enough to hear them say they don't do waistcoats or cummerbunds because I've personally never really liked that look - to me, and I know nothing, the waistcoat creates the penguin look and a cummerbund the 70's prom look...

Now, I know it's against the rules and the more I think of it, the more I think a cummerbund might be nice as my waist expands with age....but is it truly acceptable now to not wear one? If so, I'd assume you need to find a shirt without the bib look?

My groomsmen are all getting their tuxes from TheBlackTux so they can easily add a cummerbund but I'd originally asked them to get only the tux, shirt and braces.

Appreciate any help/advice/slaps in the head. If you've run into the same problem with a SuitSupply tux and found a nice cummerbund to match...that would be awesome to hear!

Maljunulo

Reaction score
I think it is incomplete without, but that's just my opinion.

eamo

Reaction score
Not sure why I posted two copies....but that's the tux shirt with and without a makeshift cummerbund...I prefer the look with the jacket on without the cummerbund but it does hide the shirt rumples and suspenders....

Also thinking my bibbed shirt draws attention now to the lack of a cummerbund.

Thoughts?

maxalex

Reaction score
I often go without a cummerbund. I just feel my tux looks less stuffy without one. But I know I will be flamed by other traditionalists for saying that. And I respect them for it.

Last edited:

eamo

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses and thoughts. I think I'm leaning towards accepting that the rules are the rules for a reason.....but mainly because of the shirt...I think that ribbing looks odd when it stops above the waist. The cummerbund cleans it all up. I also don't have the chops to pull of anything to risky so I'll stick with tried and true.

Anybody ever wear a SuitSupply tux with silk lapes and have any luck matching a cummerbund?

Maljunulo

Reaction score
Remember, the pleats in the cummerbund face upwards.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cummerbund or waistcoat is much more elegant in my opinion. Adds a longer line to your silhouette too.

paxonus

Reaction score
The rise on those pants looks very short. You will probably need the cumberbund to balance it out.

eamo

Reaction score
It looks a little more normal when I'm not taking the photo from above but still a bit short as you say.

Thanks for all the advice. Looking for a matching cummerbund now. If anyone knows a good place or has matched to a suitsupply silk lapeled tux before, let me know. Thank you!

mjsobrep

Reaction score
Hey @eamo did you find a well matching cummerbund for the suit supply tux? I am looking for one.

eamo

Reaction score
Hey @eamo did you find a well matching cummerbund for the suit supply tux? I am looking for one.
I got one in nordstrom that matched pretty well. Cant recall the brand but I think they only do one. It wasn't perfect but it ended up not bothering me at all on the day. Good luck!

J.Odelius

Reaction score
Hi,

Personally I wouldn't skip either the cummerbund or waistcoat. As others have said it cleans stuff up.
To each their own as well I guess but I dont understand what you feel is penguin-esque about wearing a waistcoat either. Are you perhaps thinking of white tie with a cut?

The pictures below are pictures of me in a waistcoat black tie ensemble.
IMG_20190910_085228.jpg

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.