• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The triumphant return of formalwear

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apocalytic posts predicting the end-times of dressing smartly are popular here; citing horror stories of business casual, crocks and t-shirts at the Opera. I have made such posts myself, genuinely worried about the imminent death of suit-wearing.

For a change, I'd like to post a couple of observations that give cause for optimism about a return to dressing smartly:

1. While wandering through a high street in a nearby city to kill some time recently, I noticed that the shops selling cheap, fashionable clothing to young men are crammed with what (despite their fashionably short lengths) can only be described as formally cut odd-jackets. The same shops are selling ties as fashionable accessories. What's more, the kids are wearing them! Say what you like about the new interpretation, but go back 10-15 years (when I was last frequenting such shops) and nothing resembling 'proper' clothing could be found. This is progress, gentlemen.

2. As people reading WAYWRN may have noticed, I started a new job recently (in the IT department of a government organisation). On my second day, a colleague commented to me that the department has changed character alot in the last couple of years - 'its got quite a bit more professional and formal, so many more people are coming in wearing suits now'. This, in a public sector office in Amsterdam (memorably described once in a foreign newspaper as 'relentlessly casual').

IMO, this change is not led by the current recession, but by a desire on the part of younger people to dress better - it's the 'youth' shops selling the formal jackets, it's the younger employees voluntarily coming in in smart clothing... Having seen their parent's generation wearing the horror that is business casual, youth must rebel!

Anyone else seen the signs? Share your optimism!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

- B

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only been in the workforce about ten years, but it seems to me that people are dressing slightly better than they were when I started. I chalk it up to the ex-hippie golf clothes-loving baby boomers starting to lose their dominance over the world.

Truth be told, I'd rather wear rags than "office casual." It's loathsome.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Irond Will
I've only been in the workforce about ten years, but it seems to me that people are dressing slightly better than they were when I started. I chalk it up to the ex-hippie golf clothes-loving baby boomers starting to lose their dominance over the world.

Truth be told, I'd rather wear rags than "office casual." It's loathsome.

Where I once worked, the Employees Handbook explicitly stated that thong bikinis were not allowed. This implies that someone had "crossed the line" (so to speak...
)

JFKJean

Reaction score
It's time for the slackers to step it up. 'Mad Men' is helping with showing how polished men (and women for that matter) should dress when they come to work. No, work shouldn't be a fashion show (b/c that's what H.S. and college is for lol) but the day of the "Sloppy Joe" is slowly coming to an end

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JFKJean
...the day of the "Sloppy Joe" is slowly coming to an end

I sure hope so!

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gathered more evidence today! I was sitting in a meeting with 10 other men (IT people in an organisation with no real required dress code): The majority wore suits (+ one odd jacket/trouser combo), 4 wore ties and only two were in 'business casual' (one of which was admittedly particularly heinous).

As a bonus - one person was wearing the first ever 'bond' cuffs I've seen in the wild. The future starts here!

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
Gathered more evidence today! I was sitting in a meeting with 10 other men (IT people in an organisation with no real required dress code): The majority wore suits (+ one odd jacket/trouser combo), 4 wore ties and only two were in 'business casual' (one of which was admittedly particularly heinous).

As a bonus - one person was wearing the first ever 'bond' cuffs I've seen in the wild. The future starts here!

How many box goatees?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
Not one.

Wow! Things are progressing then...

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%