• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tough Shoe Dilemma

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After weeks of looking for cheapish brown shoes to pick up (I have been stuck wearing black for months now), I narrowed down my choices to

1.) The Allen Edmonds Hastings in Chili Antibes Calf for $225

2.) The Bruno Magli Rinaldo Dk Brown for $287

*** MY problem is I accidently ordered the first pair but felt the 2nd pair were better to be my sole pair of brown shoes for a while. So before I receive them on friday, I wanted to guage your opinions.

wheelerray

Reaction score
Personally I'd stick with the first pair. More of a mid-range brown, so more versatile. Also a darn good looking shoe.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
the first is a good choice, although you probably could have gotten them cheaper, but the fact that it is not a versatile look

True. Although it may not be available to you at the $225 price, the AE Fairfax is, to my way of thinking, a more versatile wholecut option.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The AE construction is better than those Maglis and will last you longer. That said, I find the Hastings is not a particularly nice shoe. If you are willing to drop $225, try other AE styles - unless you really love the Hastings. The fairfax is better but still not my first choice. If it's your first and only pair, I would go with a perforated cap-toe or half-brogue. Try the Colton, Benton...

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like number two. generally i'd pick AE over Bruno Magli's but i don't like the broguing of the first.

-Jeff

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the Hastings are A-E firsts, then you got a very good deal. If they are seconds, then you paid the customary full price. I love the chili color of the Hastings, but I don't care for the "bicycle toe" broguing. This is a matter of aesthetic preference. If you like the look, wear 'em with pleasure, take good care of them, and they should serve you well.

Somebody recommend the similar Fairfax. That is now on closeout, and seconds should be in the vicinity of $170. They are only available in black, merlot and Antibes chestnut, however.

I have no opinion on Bruno Maglis. My niece that sold shoes thought well of them.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stylistically, the Bruno Magli are a better choice for versatility in the settings they can be worn. The AEs, as previously stated, are a bit of oddity fulfilling neither the sleek, formal aesthetic of a wholecut, nor the true ruggedness of a casual shoe. That being said, I would choose based on last with a slight preference for the AE. Pricing and value are relative; both are somewhat higher than the bargain basement deals offered on the sales forum, but still decent deals compared to full retail. Given a healthy rotation, both pairs should last 5+ years.

wgiceman

Reaction score
I recently purchased the AE Hastings in chili, as shown. I was pleasantly surprised at the overall look of the shoe. It is very well made and looks fantastic. It shows a classic elegance that I am extremely pleased with and I have received nothing but great compliments on it. I think you will be more than happy with that selection.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Those AEs look odd....with the bicycle broguing it reminds me of a single color dress shoe version of 1950s bowling shoes. Which could be a good thing, but not in this case.

I prefer the Maglis between the 2 choices. Much better style, but it isnt hard to beat AE in the 'style' department.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just don't think that AE has the sensibility for wholecuts.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. It's funny I had the same thoughts about the AE's with the odd brouging, and I really kicked myself when I scrolled up the page (I was looking thru zappos from page bottom to top) and saw the Bruno's that I'd had my eye on for months on sale I nearly kicked myself. But over time the quirkyness of the A-E has grown on me. So we'll see where my thoughts lie when they come in...

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i prefer the maglis. the ae's broguing is wierd in my book.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you want the shoes for. If you want to pair the shoes with a suit, then go with the 1st one. If you are looking for something to pair with slacks w/jacket then go for the 2nd one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics