• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Top 5 Essentials for Men for Fall 2012

Moderngentleman

Reaction score
You can see the full story and pictures of each item here, but I wanted to get the communities thoughts and/or additions to this list. Certainly nothing ground-breaking but a few key items to consider:

#1: THE TWEED JACKET: A timeless wardrobe workhorse - the sport jacket. Look for classic tweed updated in a fitted and modern silhouette, like this stunning version from Gant by Michael Bastian. $950, available at Gant.

#2: DESERT BOOTS: The "Desert Trooper" is a new, updated version of Clark's classic desert boot. Same iconic leather upper, with a more aggressive, higher stance tread. Wear these confidently with jeans, fitted khaki's, a flannel suit - pretty much anything. $115, available at Clarks.

#3: THE UTILITY TOTE: There's really nothing fancy about this durable, waxed cotton utility tote and that's the point. People will appreciate your practicality. For a long time now I've been admiring the subtle beauty of all things Ernest Alexander. Based in New York City, they produce their entire line in the U.S.A. and are committed to ethical manufacturing. Available in a variety of colors, but you'll get the most out of charcoal. $195, available at Ernest Alexander.

#4: TORTOISE SHELL SUNGLASSES. By now you can probably tell there is a color story going on: gray, tan, rich chocolate - muted earth tones return this fall. These pieces are intended as bridge items - the glue that holds each look together, allowing you get the most out of your closet. Beautiful sunglasses are therefore essential, and here are two favorites in timeless tortoise shell: The Meteor by Ray Ban, $145 & The Harding by Garrett Leight, $310.

#5: A STATEMENT SWEATER. No fall story would be complete without an incredibly comfortable, luxurious sweater. This perfect layer represents all that's good about the fall - staying warm, welcoming cold autumn weekends and enjoying the great outdoors, even if it's just a stroll in a city park. Camel is one of my favorite colors and J.Crew's 100% cashmere, cable knit version is a beauty. $298, available at J.Crew.

What else? Send links if possible so I can see it.

Thank you.

Macallan

Reaction score
Luxurious sweater - Yes
Statement sweater -:puzzled:

You are missing a flannel suit, which should be second on a Fall list after a tweed jacket

Geezer

Reaction score
I agree that tortoiseshell sunglasses are a "bridge item". Because they sit on the bridge of your nose. What is a "bridge item", apart from a construction intended to permit easy transit over a river or similar landscape feature, otherwise known as a "bridge"?

I am overjoyed that "earth tones have returned this fall". I thought the earth was oddly-coloured recently, not quite its usual shade of dirt. Oh, and it's still summer.

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never in my entire life used a tote and somehow I've made it through plenty of falls. Hard to see how that's "essential."

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I hope never in my life to refer to anything I own as a "statement sweater". If I do and it's something from J. Crew, I encourage any and all of you to shoot me in the face with a bazooka.

Re-quoted for awesomeness.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks like 2011's list. Fashion doesn't really change much for men.

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hope never in my life to refer to anything I own as a "statement sweater". If I do and it's something from J. Crew, I encourage any and all of you to shoot me in the face with a bazooka.

Clearly you didn't click the link provided because it's a brown cable-knit sweater. Pretty good looking one at that and definitely nothing from the Cosby Show. Or are you just saying you're above buying J. Crew? The message is lost in the torrent of dramatizing.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well I suppose I should clarify. I have no objection to the sweater itself, which seems completely inoffensive, nor J Crew as a brand. I have no direct experience, but they appear to produce tasteful items at a reasonable price, which is to be commended.

I object to the term "signature item". A signature is meant to uniquely identify the man. There should be a one-to-one mapping from individuals to signatures. More poetically, a "signature" somehow carries the spirit and personality of an individual. If your personality can be turned into a sweater, or a particular shade of red shoe, or a fanciful sock pattern, then there likely wasn't much there to begin with. If, further, you find your "signature" in something that's made by the thousands if not tens of thousands, you have a very limited view of your own individuality, and your sense of self- worth stands at risk of collapsing entirely when you go to a party and see some other asshole wearing your goddamn signature sweater.

Velophone

Reaction score
By now you can probably tell there is a color story going on: gray, tan, rich chocolate - muted earth tones return this fall.

Wait, so now we all have to throw away the neon green and electric blue accessories we bought last fall?

Screw you, Internet. I'm dressing myself from now on!

guymac12

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This goes to show that follwoing so-called trends are unwise and classic colors will always be in demand, regardless of season.

Misanthropist

Reaction score
There are some threads wherein one can just tell that the responses are going to be snark-laden before one even opens the thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads