• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Top 5 Essentials for Men for Fall 2012

TintinATL

Reaction score
Nice to see the traditional warm welcome to the SF community is alive and well. New guy joins StyleForum and attempts to stimulate a conversation about, er, style... and all he gets is snark. Sorry if his prose style was too "gay" for you, but in case you hadn't noticed we're a bunch of guys talking about clothes so methinks someone protesteth too much.

I agree, tweed jackets and luxurious sweaters are two of the best reasons to be glad summer is over. Personally not so sure about desert boots and tortoiseshell. My top 5 would include a fairisle vest, and this year I'm interested in a quilted blazer. Cucinelli and other Italians have had them for a while and now even Brooks Brothers does. As for totes, I think you have to be careful. If you're young enough you can get away with it, and if you're old enough you probably won't care, but I'm neither and always feel self-conscious with a tote. Regarding colors, it's true, earth tones for fall is hardly news. I hope we'll see some bolder colors in stores, also – not just muted tans and browns, but orange, moss green, wine.

Ivon

Reaction score
Other than the tote, aka manpurse, I don't see the relevance of this thread, these are standard item most men should already have. In fact, reading that list, I'm back in 1987. I believe real tortoise accessories have been illegal since the 80s. Back in the day, the "modern" silhouette was baggy Donegal, think Perry Ellis, when he was alive and started to make his name. The tortoise shell frames preppy glasses were Vuarnet or something like that and the signature sweater was either trad Aran or Fair Isle (John T. Molloy) or modern from Kansai Yamamoto, Byblos or Perry Ellis. Been there, done that. I still wish I had those sweaters, the Kansai had a dragon and the Byblos was chunky, hand knit with doggies on it if I remember correctly. The more things change, the more they remain the same...

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice to see the traditional warm welcome to the SF community is alive and well. New guy joins StyleForum and attempts to stimulate a conversation about, er, style... and all he gets is snark. Sorry if his prose style was too "gay" for you, but in case you hadn't noticed we're a bunch of guys talking about clothes so methinks someone protesteth too much.

Well I thought I was reading GQ or Ralph Lauren catalogue product descriptions for a moment, when I read the first post.

What's it about anyway, joined SF to plug his blog?

Last edited:

TintinATL

Reaction score
Oh it looks as if you're right. Hadn't seen that. Oh well...

Speaking of blogs, been enjoying yours for a while, without realising the SF connection.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh it looks as if you're right. Hadn't seen that. Oh well...
Speaking of blogs, been enjoying yours for a while, without realising the SF connection.

Thanks, :) it's only something I do occasionally. Not related to clothes, except for the odd really bad knock-off..haha.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's weird to see a tote being recommended as a Fall item when I could only see myself using one for trips to the beach, pool and lake.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Other than the tote, aka manpurse, I don't see the relevance of this thread, these are standard item most men should already have. In fact, reading that list, I'm back in 1987. I believe real tortoise accessories have been illegal since the 80s. Back in the day, the "modern" silhouette was baggy Donegal, think Perry Ellis, when he was alive and started to make his name. The tortoise shell frames preppy glasses were Vuarnet or something like that and the signature sweater was either trad Aran or Fair Isle (John T. Molloy) or modern from Kansai Yamamoto, Byblos or Perry Ellis. Been there, done that. I still wish I had those sweaters, the Kansai had a dragon and the Byblos was chunky, hand knit with doggies on it if I remember correctly. The more things change, the more they remain the same...

Tortoise shell was banned under CITES in 73. The BVI is not a signatory, however, and I enjoyed a nice sea turtle steak there until I realized I was eating a threatened species.

Velophone

Reaction score
There are some threads wherein one can just tell that the responses are going to be snark-laden before one even opens the thread.

Speaking strictly for oneself, one would have been a bit disappointed had one opened this thread and found otherwise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads