1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Top 5 Essentials for Men for Fall 2012

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Moderngentleman, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Apart from the terrible douchebag delivery, all of those items are very solid and well-picked choices for an autumn wardrobe. I wouldn't want to tote, but thats personal.

2. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

I lol'd hard since it's easy to imagine some guys here actually experiencing that.

3. rikod

rikod Senior member

"utility tote, statement sweater, tortoise shell, people will appreciate your practicality, modern silhouette, no fall story would be complete"

Gayest post ever, and that's saying a lot given the very tough competition. Congratulations

1 person likes this.
  4. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

Agreed. I've been given several totes over the summer and all immediately went into Value Village pile.

However, these "essentials" leave me wondering if pants are a non-essential item this fall. (Maybe freedom from pants is more than just a Independence Day bicycle ride?)

1 person likes this.
  5. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

I don't tote, never have never will...but I would wear everything else. I only wear tortise shell sunglasses as it is.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  6. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I pretty much just disagree. I have no problem with anything on the list, but I personally, have never used a tote bag (although those recyclable grocery bags come close) and am not big on tortoise shell sunglasses. I will also pretty much always pick regular boots over desert boots.

7. celery

celery Senior member

[​IMG]

Naaailed it!

1 person likes this.
  8. fredfred

fredfred Senior member

I want to know what "statement" the brown sweater makes?

9. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

10. CrAz3D

CrAz3D Senior member

+1

What is this, women's fashion?

11. TintinATL

TintinATL Senior member

Nice to see the traditional warm welcome to the SF community is alive and well. New guy joins StyleForum and attempts to stimulate a conversation about, er, style... and all he gets is snark. Sorry if his prose style was too "gay" for you, but in case you hadn't noticed we're a bunch of guys talking about clothes so methinks someone protesteth too much.

I agree, tweed jackets and luxurious sweaters are two of the best reasons to be glad summer is over. Personally not so sure about desert boots and tortoiseshell. My top 5 would include a fairisle vest, and this year I'm interested in a quilted blazer. Cucinelli and other Italians have had them for a while and now even Brooks Brothers does. As for totes, I think you have to be careful. If you're young enough you can get away with it, and if you're old enough you probably won't care, but I'm neither and always feel self-conscious with a tote. Regarding colors, it's true, earth tones for fall is hardly news. I hope we'll see some bolder colors in stores, also – not just muted tans and browns, but orange, moss green, wine.

12. Ivon

Ivon Senior member

Other than the tote, aka manpurse, I don't see the relevance of this thread, these are standard item most men should already have. In fact, reading that list, I'm back in 1987. I believe real tortoise accessories have been illegal since the 80s. Back in the day, the "modern" silhouette was baggy Donegal, think Perry Ellis, when he was alive and started to make his name. The tortoise shell frames preppy glasses were Vuarnet or something like that and the signature sweater was either trad Aran or Fair Isle (John T. Molloy) or modern from Kansai Yamamoto, Byblos or Perry Ellis. Been there, done that. I still wish I had those sweaters, the Kansai had a dragon and the Byblos was chunky, hand knit with doggies on it if I remember correctly. The more things change, the more they remain the same...

13. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Well I thought I was reading GQ or Ralph Lauren catalogue product descriptions for a moment, when I read the first post.

What's it about anyway, joined SF to plug his blog?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  14. bapelolol

bapelolol Senior member

Filson 261 is solid if you must tote

15. TintinATL

TintinATL Senior member

Oh it looks as if you're right. Hadn't seen that. Oh well...

Speaking of blogs, been enjoying yours for a while, without realising the SF connection.

16. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Thanks, :) it's only something I do occasionally. Not related to clothes, except for the odd really bad knock-off..haha.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  17. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    It's weird to see a tote being recommended as a Fall item when I could only see myself using one for trips to the beach, pool and lake.

18. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Tortoise shell was banned under CITES in 73. The BVI is not a signatory, however, and I enjoyed a nice sea turtle steak there until I realized I was eating a threatened species.

19. Velophone

Velophone Member

Speaking strictly for oneself, one would have been a bit disappointed had one opened this thread and found otherwise.