• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The time to buy a new computer is NEVER

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought about getting the new Vista. Turns out it has major issues with Divx, Quicktime, VLC and Gawd knows what other freeware progs. Above and beyond its 150-plus documented warts discovered so far.
Vista requires quite a bit of memory, so figure 2GB of RAM just for that. Now I have a fair # of peripherals I'm gonna need to hook up. No idea whether : a) combined they won't suck the life outta the ram; b) be recognized by the new OS to begin with.
Over in the MAC land they've got this new all-in-one iMac thing. Something tells me, however, that if any one major component were to take a shi'ite it'd drag down everything with it. Their towers start @ $2500 which isn't what I'm looking to drop; particularly for the kind of goods they're throwing in.
The new Leopard OS is sheduled for 10-07 release. Trouble is, I don't have a clue if my peripherals will work with it. On top of that, despite having this seemingly wall-to-wall China-assembled product, Apple doesn't seem too anxious to pass along the savings )))))
So what the fick should I buy ?
musicboohoo[1].gif

nioh

Reaction score
iMac.

The new iMac is quite nice, especially since it comes in such a tiny little package. OSX should be able to recognize and let you use your peripherals without hassle, unless they're Windows-only. If something brakes (hardware), well, it doesn't really matter what kind of OS you're on.. or where you bought it - you still need to replace it.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm running a dual boot of Vista and XP Pro. Get a machine built fast enough for Vista (i.e. Core 2 Duo, 2-3GB of ram, decent graphics card), then spend a hundred bucks on a copy of XP Pro. You'll have a decent machine and you can start migrating to Vista gradually. My usage now is probably 95% XP and 5% Vista. Even though I don't see this ratio changing significantly in the near future, it doesn't hurt to have both.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are going to stick to PC's, you have to consider a desktop system either highly upgradeable or disposable. If you just want something that will just run everything decently, then I'd suggest lurking around some good deal sites (boddit, fatwallet, slickdeals, etc), and just snatch up a ridiculously cheap system from Dell or HP. Once it's outlived its usefulness, you can just replace it and not worry about it. The other option is going with something more customized and a lot more expensive, but you can upgrade as you go along. I think the cheaper way is disposable.

Also, a lot of this depends on your usage. If you are just a normal user with normal needs, then the Mac will probably suit your needs. Even if they are a bit more expensive initially, they retain their value a lot better than PC's.

Have you considered going with a laptop? Less horsepower for your dollar, but still probably enough for average tasks.

One last thing.. I think Apple are running some pretty good deals right now (due to impending release of Leopard), so you might want to cash in on the deal, and you can always buy a copy of Leopard when it comes out. The cost will likely be lower than today's discount.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First version of an OS without even a service pack. What do you expect? I never switch OS until at least the second service pack.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I keep reading, Vista has been the biggest bust. For one thing, I read that Vista is not backward compatible for a LOT of programs. Stupid. Why would I EVER switch to Vista?! XP has been just great. I think Alienware offers XP instead of Vista as an option. You might consider their PC which is supposed to be an excellent system.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bachbeet
From what I keep reading, Vista has been the biggest bust. For one thing, I read that Vista is not backward compatible for a LOT of programs. Stupid. Why would I EVER switch to Vista?! XP has been just great. I think Alienware offers XP instead of Vista as an option. You might consider their PC which is supposed to be an excellent system.

Alienware is a complete and total ripoff. I can build their setups for half the price, easy. The markup on Alienwares (and most of the high-end boutique firms) is ridiculous.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a new XPS M1710 laptop with Vista and I love it. Just feels cleaner and zippier than XP ever did to me- I think this is probably because it utilizes dual core processors much more effectively.

I haven't had any compatability issues yet, and I like to mess around with my PC and do somewhat sketchy, unsupported types of things. However, I haven't really had a chance to try installing some of my older games yet. The older share/freeware I mostly abandon when I get a new PC. One of the things I like about a new computer is the clean slate.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Conne: So, if I need a new PC in the future, I'll know who to call.

dapperdude

Reaction score
There's also Linux. It runs on old hardware, and a lot of the newer distributions are pretty easy to install. Just stick in the install CD and choose the standard options. It's fine for web surfing, simple word processing stuff (using OpenOffice), etc. One area it typically falls short is multimedia. A lot of that stuff has to be installed separately, so watching videos and listening to music might not work out of the box.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The floor kid ( a curious type, thank Gawd ) over @ Apple store shows me a few minute long video footage - shot in his back yard - that was captured onto their demo iMac's HD.
Then using pre-installed proprietary software proceeds to do the following:
adds a random sountrack ( from his music folder ) ;
shortens it so as to match the running time of the video;
adds a random still photo in the beginning;
types up and inserts rolling credits;
then - just to screw around - finishes by adding 30 sec of unrelated video to the back end
BAM, whole thing took less than 3 minutes
bounce2.gif
Now you're free to either burn it or post to youtube.
Oh, and accomplished with 5 other programs simultaeously running on that floor iMac.
By the time you wrapped up similiar project ( using 3rd party extra cost program ) on PC, Jesus would probably be back
plain.gif

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm on the edge of a new computer need (built mine 3 years ago with a couple upgrades since then) and have been thinking about the Vista vs. XP thing myself.

First I use Windows 2000 still so I've decided that if I can use it for this long with no issues, Windows XP will still be a viable O/S for a long while still, at least for the next 3 or 4 years. By then it will be time for another upgrade. I'm just starting to find now that some vendors aren't supporting Windows 2000 any more. Also Vista offers no real performance issues, has a lot of bugs, and is a resource hog, something I can live without.

I am also considering getting an Apple Laptop as well for testing purposes and as a second computer. Some may say just get an Apple and do a dual O/S but the laptop would be nice for presentations.

Buying anything first year usually isn't a smart thing, especially with electronics and cars.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
imac
nothing will go to **** so you dont have to worry about it dragging down the whole computer

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
By the time you wrapped up similiar project ( using 3rd party extra cost program ) on PC, Jesus would probably be back
plain.gif

It's called Windows Movie Maker. It comes free with Windows. You are welcome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads