• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tie Thread

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
If I were both sane and practically selfish, I wouldn't have even mentioned the maker.

I think it was a public-spirited gesture.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I think it was a public-spirited gesture.
Not really, it's just part of my own diary and philosophy that isolating and studying a specific cultural circle helps you dress better and for a purpose. They're not a big secret anyway because they have quite a following in England.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ties are somewhat complex a subject. Certainly the desire to not pay a lot for a simple piece of silk is offset by the distaste that someone else is wearing the same tie. It may not be a big deal if it's someone who you believe resides above you on the pecking order but it's irking when someone below wears them. And, this is the risk you run when you shop at a place everyone can afford or you buy ties from a maker that churns them out in large numbers.

Except when I was at Oxford, where college and club ties were common apparel, I don't think I have ever in my long life encountered anyone wearing a tie I owned, much less one that I was wearing at the moment.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Except when I was at Oxford, where college and club ties were common apparel, I don't think I have ever in my long life encountered anyone wearing a tie I owned, much less one that I was wearing at the moment.
I meant similar pattern or brand. There's a lot more copying from the bottom up. And, if the CEO notices every one of the VPs are wearing Hermes, he might switch to Victoria Richards. Very well illustrated in the film "How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying"

Pariolino

Reaction score
I meant similar pattern or brand.

There's a lot more copying from the bottom up. And, if the CEO notices every one of the VPs are wearing Hermes, he might switch to Victoria Richards.

Very well illustrated in the film "How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying"

The only way a CEO would wear one of those ties would be that he grew up with a father who did not know how to dress, or was of a certain lower class, and that he did not spend any time acquainting himself with proper dress as he was making his way up the ladder. Maybe he was a deadhead and saw this as an haute Jerry Garcia tie. That would be the other reason. Nothing wrong with these things, but the tie screams a lack of propriety.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EnglishGent
The only reason to wear a tie like this around your neck is if you are hanging yourself with it, of course put a tie like this around your neck and you'll want to hang yourself.
crazy.gif

I'm especially perplexed by FNB's reference to Brummel at the end. Is it meant to be ironic? Surely gaudy ties such as those are the very antithesis of everything Brummel stood for.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I meant similar pattern or brand.

There's a lot more copying from the bottom up. And, if the CEO notices every one of the VPs are wearing Hermes, he might switch to Victoria Richards.

Very well illustrated in the film "How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying"

That's very disturbing and revealing. One day one of my colleagues wore nearly the same tie I did (colors and pattern), and we just laughed about it. I question the type of guy who would have a negative reaction to that.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And, if the CEO notices every one of the VPs are wearing Hermes, he might switch to Victoria Richards.

I can't think of one CEO who would give a damn.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I am fairly conservative, so I prefer to avoid extremes in necktie width and try to cultivate a timeless style rather than be swayed the trends of fashion. A width of 3 1/4 inches is about right for me.

I would consider that narrow but not too narrow.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok. What are some good mall brandish tie brands to look out for when they're on sale?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
Ok. What are some good mall brandish tie brands to look out for when they're on sale?

Mall?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I'm especially perplexed by FNB's reference to Brummel at the end. Is it meant to be ironic? Surely gaudy ties such as those are the very antithesis of everything Brummel stood for.
Brummell was something of a contrarian. He made what he wore establishment but it was opposed to the Fop of his day. If he were alive today, he would like unique things and be quite brand conscious. I could picture him getting his attire at Kilgour's rather than Huntsman.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Serious question, FNB. Would you wear one of those ties out of the house?
I think I might like this tie for the summer (assuming it is not a print and the texture/weight seems right in person), but would prefer it in a more summery color.
628.jpg
That reminds me to dig up the JPress slub silk summer ties that are in a box somewhere.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 36 ties, not including bows and bolos. They range in price from free (gifts) to a little over $200 CAD. I prefer wovens, especially grenadines in burgundy or black.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads