• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tie Dimple Debate

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to me the only people divided on this are the ones who debate whether or not to match their tie and pocket square.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People are divided on this in the same way that people are divided on the matter of whether you should wear socks with a suit. Ok, slight exaggeration. But dimple, damnit.

shoes22

Reaction score
Where can I find out how to dimple a tie?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's absolutely not as one-sided as the previous posts would suggest. Some like the look of the dimple--perhaps even the majority these days--but that could just be fashion as opposed to style. Others who have reached a certain level of maturity in their own personal style choose not to dimple. It's much like the choice to wear or eschew tie clasps. Although current fashion may argue against wearing tie clasps, experienced and confident men may choose to do so. It's worth noting that the redoubtable Manton indicates in his recent book that to dimple or not should be seen as a personal choice--with no clear sartorial precept supporting either choice--and no less an authority than the Duke of Windsor chose not to. If no dimple works for these guys, it's sure as hell worth considering. In the end, it's purely personal preference, and when it comes to that, it never hurts to be in the knowing, but stylish, minority.
smile.gif

BTW, how often does this topic come up each year? Four, five times? The question can be easily answered: it's purely personal preference. If you're insecure, perhaps you should be sure to dimple. If not, do whatever you think looks best.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
The perfect dimple looks too perfect. Nonchalant style would let the dimple or not be asymmetrical.

Completely agree. My tie dimple is always asymmetrical. Perfectly centered and doctored dimples look a bit goofy to me

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
In addition, the founder of the London Lounge, Michael Alden, doesn't seem to consider a dimple part of good style, as the following picture shows (Mr. Alden is modeling the London Lounge Club Tie, a spectacular Charvet). [...]

I used to tie a knot like that when I had to wear a blazer and tie to high school. But honestly, I I don't even see how it's a question among people that consider themselves well dressed. A nicely dimpled tie is just infintely more elegant than that pictured above.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
People are divided on this in the same way that people are divided on the matter of whether you should wear socks with a suit. Ok, slight exaggeration. But dimple, damnit.

I don't wear socks with some of my suits.

Caballero

Reaction score
This is up to you, however, I always leave dimple to set myself apart from the rest in the room that, in most cases, do not know to tie a knot.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike C.
A nicely dimpled tie is just infintely more elegant than that pictured above.
Many would disagree. It looks as if Mr. Alden, for one, would, and I suspect no one ever accused him of being inelegant!
wink.gif

Edit: Another factor in this issue concerns the structural nature of the tie itself. Some constructions seem to resist dimpling, in my experience. In these cases--if such a tie is the one you want to wear--my suggestion would be not to perseverate, trying to fight the tie and elevating your blood pressure, but instead just wear it without a dimple. That's what I do. Sometimes, I feel like having a dimple, and often the tie obliges. Other times, I decide not to dimple.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ......2
Where can I find out how to dimple a tie?
It's pretty simple. You just pinch it into shape when tightening. I've gotten so used to doing it that it's like a part of the normal tying process itself to me. I agree with the above comments, prissily done dimples don't look very good. The beauty of a dimple and the four in hand knot are in their imperfections.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads