• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sultan22

Reaction score
I think tie bar is a great option
- for students,
- folks who are on a budget.
- folks who want to try new stuff/express themselves (so in case you make a mistake it's not a costly one)
- and for ties to be worn to lounges/pubs/clubs. So in case a drink gets spilled on to it, it's not like you ruined a $100 tie.

I have several of them and their quality is much better then the mall ties at twice or three times the cost.

For the more dressy occasions you could buy one or two good ties. Preferably something in a timeless style.

Dfrost

Reaction score
Do not order from The Tie Bar if you are in Canada! They've stopped shipping with FedEx and switched to a smaller company that will slam you with COD charges. I ordered a tie and cufflinks, total order $60 plus $15 for shipping, and they arrived with a $33 COD charge. Absolutely ridiculous! I called customer service and was told that it is because of the shipping company that they use. That's a nice excuse and all, but it was still the shipping company that they chose, which in my mind means that this is still their fault and they need to make it right. The suggestion was that I refuse the order and get a refund, which is what I am going to do. However, I'll still be out the $15 that they originally charged me for shipping, and I still don't have a tie for the event that I was purchasing the tie for, so now I have to scramble to find a substitute. I could not be more disappointed. I've ordered tons of things from the US before and I have never run into this sort of problem. It is inexcusable for an online company to be so bad handling their shipping responsibilities!

afterthesuit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently had the same issue... $60 order cost an additional $25 in COD. The shipping charge is pretty high to begin with, then the COD makes these ties too expensive.

Vasco

Reaction score
Yup me too. Paid $25 in duty and taxes for ordering two ties. Too much in total for the quality that you get.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my fellow Canadians, I think the best bet would be either the FS section on this forum or ebay.

Kent wang shipping is $5 bucks.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a $50 code for Christmas. Any recommendations?

yanagi

Reaction score
Got a $50 code for Christmas. Any recommendations?

I have a navy pencil stripe, glen plaid, black knit, and burgundy knit from TTB. I like all of them, but what do you already have?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing from TieBar. I have about 40 ties in rotation already, just wondering if anyone had anything they were particularly fond of. I will probably try their socks at minimum.

yanagi

Reaction score
Nothing from TieBar. I have about 40 ties in rotation already, just wondering if anyone had anything they were particularly fond of. I will probably try their socks at minimum.

I would recommend the glen plaid and the black knit if you don't already have those from other tie makers.

jt10000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
I've seen 10 or 20 of them and I dont agree, they are pretty low quality. On par with Geoffrey Beene or Van Heusen thick silks
Even though idfnl probably has vested interests in discouraging people from buying inexpensive ties elsewhere (you'll notice that he sells a ton of ties on eBay as a business
smile.gif
), he's correct. I've seen a few Tie Bar ties in my day, and none of them impressed me.

They're cheap ties. For someone on a limited budget getting started with ties, who is only going to wear ties occassionally , they're OK. Comparable to a lot of $40 department store ties from brands like idfnl mentions.

They'll look OK to regular people, but maybe not high-style crowd here. And the ones I have don't seem like they'll last a long time. I've bought a bunch in different materials and some I like, some were bad and I returned them. I have one that I love (!!!) the look of but they don't make any more and it seems kind of fragile, so I don't wear it much.

For the price, they're great. The price is cheap. They're cheap ties.

Oh, except for their knit ties which now are $25.

Oh, and regarding the person saying they're thick- not true. Their regular wool ties are a little thick, but their silk, cotton, linen are not.

And the person saying they're wide - not true in that they sell ties at a range of different widths.

At a similar price point, Land's End on sale seems much higher quality.

jt10000

Reaction score
Their knit ties look good but seem really fragile. I have several.

I have one of their cotton or linen ties in plaids that I like a lot and am thinking of more like that.

Their regular silk ties are a bit on the shiny/cheap side, so in non-knit ties I think you should go for ones that have some cotton, wool or linen in them.

Srben

Reaction score
I own a ton of ties and pocket squares fom The Tie Bar. I don't work for them, I don't own stock in them, but I find their ties to be beautiful, affordably priced, and they've been very beneficial in putting some really beautiful outfits together:

Suffice it to say that I'm happy with my purchases from them (and their customer service), and will continue to buy ties, pocket squares, and other accessories as needed. I will mention that most of their pocket squares are rather stiff and one sided, but I've come to enjoy this, as they stay put once in place, and will retain their shape as you move around. The ties are beautiful, and I couldn't be happier with them.

Last edited:

hirschlederne

Reaction score

just wondering if anyone had anything they were particularly fond of.

I like their cotton plaid ties (I own one a little like this) and I think the knit ties are very useable, too. I think they get less respect here than they deserve -- they have incredible amounts of patterns in dozens of colours each so it's cheap to figure out what styles suit you and then still find more similar ties.

Srben

Reaction score
Knit ties.
thumbs-up.gif

Yes! I love their silk knit ties. I recently bought one of their faux grenadine ("Grenafaux" - #13509), too.

But even their regular silk ties make beautiful outfits:

Found here: http://www.thetiebar.com/product/11802

It's a favorite tie of mine, and I have to make myself not use it. It works with a lot of different outfits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads