• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

glowell222

Reaction score
I have some tie bar ties. I think they are just fine, and about 99% of anybody you do see will not know (and will not care) if they are not self tipped and are not 7 fold ties. I tie FIH, Windsor, and Christensen knots with no problem. Most of my ties are BB and Borelli (Borelli ties are quite thick, as well) and I find the tie bar ties are lower quality, but then the Toyota Tundra has 4 more horsepower than a Nissan Armada. BFD-it's not as if the tie bar ties are thin, cheap, printed horrors from K-Mart-they are nice ties, nicely done.

Agreed on the 2.5" tie widths. I think the Brooks Brothers slim ties are the perfect width-two and seven-eighths inches wide, and the quality is pretty good. Could do with a greater variety, but that's what Sam Hober is good at-what you want, how you want it. Will be pinging Dave next.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haspy
Why not?

And thanks for the pin dot info. I was thinking of getting a pin dot tie here but not anymore. I was looking at Lands End too but I want to make sure of the quality. Do you guys think I'm better off spending $75-85 for a tie at Brooks Brothers or any of those department stores? What about Club Monaco?

You are better off spending $75-$85 on ties from samhober.com, howardyount.com, charlesalexander and kentwang, if you want *nice* and high quality ties. I rather have two basic ties from these guys than 6 tie bar ties. These are all quality ties that have been discussed thoroughly on this forum.

I'm sure a $15 tie is serviceable, but i don't think you're on this forum and have an interest in merely *serviceable* ties.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought two ties from thetiebar.com and I'm yet to wear them... They aren't of great quality to say the least. They don't even hang straight down when I hold them in my hand and tend to curve a lot. For $15, I suppose, it's not a bad deal, but I'd advise looking for ties on ebay instead. I've recently bought a lot of 8 wool and silk ties for 10 bucks and at least 3 of them should be awesome. I've bought some ties from idfnl on ebay and have been extremely happy. Check out his collection. On a side note, the pocket squares from thetiebar.com are a great deal for $8 each. Their quality isn't as crucial, so it's a safe buy.

haspy

Reaction score
teddieriley - true

acecow - thats good to know

Seems like a better tie is not tie bar

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1400PennAve
And this is based on??? Do you make all of your decisions this way? Scary!!!!

Isn't it better to make a decision based on 3 pages of opinions from people who actually own the product rather than just guessing yourself? When in doubt, I turn to public opinion here and 95% of the time it served me well.

wysiwyg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
I now find this to be my ideal range as well.
Where do you like buying ties?

Mostly ebay. SF member idfnl is very active in this area, but you can do a search for 3 1/4" and you'll get a bunch of hits. Ties this wide seem to be either vintage or high end and out of my price range.

scribbles

Reaction score
How often do you plan on wearing these ties? I have purchased the occasional Tie Bar tie after seeing them in GQ a while back and I have found that while the quality of not on par with some of the higher end ties mentioned here (Brioni for example), they are perfect if you need a tie to complete a look and it is unlikely that you will wear it more than a handful of times after that (if ever). However, if you are looking for a few ties that will be the staple of your business wardrobe then you would be much better off buying one or two of much higher quality. Depending on where you live, thrift stores can be a gold mine for quality ties at dirt cheap prices, and if that isn't a realistic option then some great deals can be found on ebay.

haspy

Reaction score
This is true... Interesting... Thank you for the suggestion(s) scribbles 1400Penn Ave - I'm trying to gather all the information before I make a sound decision. You could either help me out or don't reply at all. Is this how you really act
spam[1].gif
EDIT: By the way, I wasn't even making a statement, it was me pondering of a conclusion of all this.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GradSchooler
I've got a couple of $75 Italian made ties and I'd say the tie bar ties are of the same quality. My only complaint is that they aren't self-tipped.

I will totally excuse a thick tie if it is self tipped.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NotoriousMarquis
I will totally excuse a thick tie if it is self tipped.

I've seen MANY very cheap self tipped ties. Just because its self tipped is NOT an automatic sign of quality. Dont get fooled by it.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by glowell222
I have some tie bar ties. I think they are just fine, and about 99% of anybody you do see will not know (and will not care) if they are not self tipped and are not 7 fold ties. I tie FIH, Windsor, and Christensen knots with no problem. Most of my ties are BB and Borelli (Borelli ties are quite thick, as well) and I find the tie bar ties are lower quality, but then the Toyota Tundra has 4 more horsepower than a Nissan Armada. BFD-it's not as if the tie bar ties are thin, cheap, printed horrors from K-Mart-they are nice ties, nicely done.

Agreed on the 2.5" tie widths. I think the Brooks Brothers slim ties are the perfect width-two and seven-eighths inches wide, and the quality is pretty good. Could do with a greater variety, but that's what Sam Hober is good at-what you want, how you want it. Will be pinging Dave next.

Really good post. let's dispel the rumor that they're like walmart ties. They're cheap, but well done for what they are.

They're good for students or younger people--thin, decently made, and cheap. They fill a very very thick void.

booze_shoes

Reaction score
I like the ties from the tie bar. They're a good value, especially if you're just starting your collection, and when they get ruined you don't feel too bad about it.

However, that information about the pin dots is important. Also, I don't like the navy herringbone tie that I got from them because it looks purple.

And yes, they're silly thick.

sarto

Reaction score
don't own any tie bar ties, but i second going the thrift store route. i've picked up some very nice ties at my neighborhood thrift store. good brands in the $10 to $30 range. i picked up an interesting tie a few days ago (would never wear to work lol) for only 12 bucks. and i saw today a ferragamo for 30. so i'd say it's definitely worth checking out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads