• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The three button suit - dead or alive?

J Simulcik

Reaction score
I now look back in horror on that ubiquitous look from the eighties and nineties - three button suit, voluminous pleated chinos and boat shoes.
The pleated chinos and boat shoes went long ago for me and in the past two to three summers I've not worn three button suits either, preferring button down shirts or an open spread collar with sleeves rolled to the elbow when hot.
Chinos are now slim and flat front while boat shoes are replaced by casual loafers (mainly suede) or unpatterned sneakers.
Do you think there is life yet in the three button suit?

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif
Now someone with a black suit thread!

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J Simulcik
I now look back in horror on that ubiquitous look from the eighties and nineties - three button suit, voluminous pleated chinos and boat shoes.
The pleated chinos and boat shoes went long ago for me and in the past two to three summers I've not worn three button suits either, preferring button down shirts or an open spread collar with sleeves rolled to the elbow when hot.
Chinos are now slim and flat front while boat shoes are replaced by casual loafers (mainly suede) or unpatterned sneakers.

Um, I sure hope so, because all of my suits are 3-button.
plain.gif

garmentmerchant

Reaction score
Yes there is still life in the three button. Suits like all fashion run in cycles, some of you may remember when the four button was huge in the mid nineties it faded to the three button, which is still alive. The three button along with the two button will never kick it completey three buttons have been going strong since the 40's and 50's they just wore them a little different they used to wear the three button with a rolled lapel so it kind of looked like a two button now it is worn top two buttons buttoned. I dont forsee them going away enitrely, but the TWO button is definetly in this year and will be for a while. At last years mens apparel show in Vegas three buttons were alive, but at this years show two buttons reined supreme. This applies to the cheaper manufacturers as well, who were making three and four button suits for the cheaper market, but they have seen the trend and all of my cheaper manufacturers are picking up a few different two button styles .

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Um, I sure hope so, because all of my suits are 3-button.
plain.gif

Same here. I won't part with my 3/2 button suits. A retailer recently told me the market was moving to 2 button and that I should, too. I won't.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Three button suits are definitely taking a back seat, but they won't disappear completely. The 3-rolling to two (or preferably 2.5) will always be classic, but the higher 3-button may fade for the time being. I'm not sure anyone considered 4-button suits to be popular - in existence perhaps, but certainly not universally embraced like the 2 and 3.

XeF4

Reaction score
Three button is dead. Rolling three with the top unbuttoned is looking real good right now though.

Doc4

Reaction score

3-button suit looks good with a polo shirt. You should do a thread about whether polo shirts are alive or dead.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
owww my head.....

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
GarmentMerchant - Pardon me, but I think you have that backwards. In the 50's and 60's we buttoned the top two buttons of a 3 button jacket - at least in So Cal.

Sometime later - in the 70's I think - my 3 button suits came back from the cleaners pressed like a 2 button and it has been a long time since I have seen anyone button the top button.

My guess is that 2 buttons have been the more popular of the two since JFK's time.

Cheers, Jim.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahahaha.

Or, if this thread wasn't meant as satire, sorry. I'm tall enough that a 2-button looks weird, but 3 buttons still wouldn't work. 3-roll-to-2 works nicely.

sfo423

Reaction score

Are you marsupialed or stupid? This gets covered in a new post about every twelve days. try the search function.........

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally don't like how the lapel looks on 3 button suits, but that's just me. The 3/2 on the other hand, looks great!

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sfo423
Are you marsupialed or stupid? This gets covered in a new post about every twelve days. try the search function.........

Woooooooshhhhhh!

That was the joke that sailed right over your head.

I propose a new thread: Is it acceptable to wear polo shirts with three-button black suits, or are they all dead? Bonus points for any other meta reference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads