The "things you can't believe you just saw" thread...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by gomestar, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

That common an event for you, huh? Don't even remember them anymore. Tisk tisk.

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

ugh, that reminds me, yesterday I saw a cab nearly take out two families. The walk sign was there and this guy was plowing through the intersection at what seemed like 35-40 mph. On the one side, my side, 2 girls screamed and leaped back, while on the other side two 14-15 year old boys stopped roughly halfway through the intersection and had to do one of those Matrix-style bends to avoid being hit. The driver slammed on his breaks (he still would have hit people had they not moved), but as soon as he seemed to have enough room he just went "fuck it" and kept plowing through. When they passed, I saw that the passanger in the back had his hand over his face, and rightfully so. The driver should be pelted with stones.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Being mortified by my cab driver's driving is at least a weekly occurrence for me.

4. NORE

NORE Senior member

Why can't people just say brakes? I guess it's a pet peeve from BF.

5. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

cabs are the reason why I would never ride a bike in the city. They terrify me as a pedestrian as the idea of "share the road" does not apply to them. A few months ago, I had a rental car in the city and was tailgated by a cab on a side street. As soon as we crossed an avenue, he actually darted out and passed me before (barely) sweeping back in as the avenue space ended.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:embar:

7. in stitches

i dont recall being your cab driver. herp derp.

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

That happens to me weekly, the dog and I almost got run over yesterday.

Bike riders are just as bad when it comes to not obeying the traffic laws, I'm surprised not more cyclists get killed each year.

9. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I was riding with my boss one time; we got stopped short at a red light, went to make a right turn. Some bike came off the sidewalk, went right into the intersection across the red light. Plowed directly into the side of the SUV and got catapulted across the hood. He crashed to the pavement, leapt up, grabbed his crumpled bike and took off running. It was incredibly bizarre and shocking.

10. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I was once explained to me that residents these days are quite coddled. Back in the old days, the residents lived in the hospital 24/7 -that's why they are called residents. They were given 2 white shirts, 2 white pants, 3 meals per day and $50/month (apparently salary was quite a coup ~ they used to be paid $0). If you had a wife and/or kids, you could see them on Sunday afternoon.

11. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Just a little while ago as I was approaching an intersection near my home, I saw a cop standing in the street. He didn't look like he was doing anything in particular--just standing there, about a third of the way into the street. When I got to the stop sign, the cop came up to my window, but he didn't say anything. He didn't do anything at all except look at me. Eventually I said "hey," but he just kept looking at me with a glassy-eyed vacant stare. It was becoming clear that this guy's not a real cop and that he's stoned as hell. (But his cop uniform really did look legit. Who knows, maybe he was an on-duty stoned cop.) Eventually I just drove away, and in my rear view mirror I saw the cop wander into a park near the intersection. Very strange.

Also, as I was typing just now, my cat tried to stand on her hind legs, propping herself up on my chair. But she fell over backwards. I'm pretty sure I've never seen my cat--or any cat--fall over backwards.

12. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Thursday I saw a massive Asian street fight. It was closing time and I was driving through Allston. A group of 10 guys cross the street in front of my car. They walk over to another large group across the street. I had no idea this was coming there wasn't any of the normal pre-fight commotion. Boom, out of nowhere dude sucker punches a guy. The guy that got hit was knocked out cold. He was just laying there. All hell breaks loose. I couldn't keep track of everything it looked like a prison video. People are running and fighting, they run in front of my car. I'm worried someone is going to do damage accidently to my car. I gotta get the fuck outta here. Some other guy is on the ground and people are kicking the shit out of him. It was chaos. Thankfully a paddy wagon was a block away. I'm guessing there was earlier beef and they were there for that. So cray.

13. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

speaking of asians... I saw something like this in a chinese grocery..

[​IMG]
    vacuum packed pickled chicken feet.

14. in stitches

did you enjoy it?

15. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Crunchy snax!