1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Thanksgiving Menu Thread of 2012

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by 1969, Oct 31, 2012.

1. 1969

1969 Senior member

The fall weather has me thinking about Thanksgiving. It's been years since I've cooked this meal myself, so I'm hoping that we can get some discussion going on menu's, prep schedules and how to properly sous-vide a Turkey.

2. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

Don't cook turkey sous vide for thanksgiving.

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

We've hosted each year for the past half-dozen or so, and it's been mostly traditional fare.

Well, for some reason the Wifely unit has picked up some Food Network Magazine and wants to reinvent the whole deal this year. New cranberries, potatoes, stuffing, etc. etc. etc. My reaction is a variation on the usual WTF. I mean, I tried out Grandma Kunk's pumpkin soup one year and everyone acted like it was radioactive (MORE FOR ME!), but now the Mrs wants to up-end everything else - and expects it to fly among our retired parents. again, WTF.

This year, the wife expects me to brine the turkey, but this year, again, I'll salt it a day before cooking and pretend it's being brined.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Yeah, because it won't be ready until Christmas.

5. 1969

1969 Senior member

I was joking about the sous-vide comment... but that confit of chestnuts, walnuts, fennel and onion MGM posted will probably go on the table.

6. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Last year, I took part in a small T-giving dinner with one vegetarian. So we all went vegetarian. I want to go full carnivore this year. I'm actually half-seriously contemplating the hare a la royale dish that matt described but wouldn't post a photo of. I think it's beyond my abilities, but when else would I even try cooking a hare with pigs blood?

7. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Hare is delicious, and so is that preparation. However, it would not be my first idea for a Thanksgiving menu, unless: a) you are eating alone, or b) you have a really awesome group of family and friends that enjoy that sort of thing. Also, you shouldn't feel like you need to wait for a holiday to make that dish. The act of preparation is enough of an occasion on its own.

8. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Dispense with the hare and just serve the pigs blood.

9. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

I'm guessing one or two of my friends would actually eat it if I told them it had pigs blood in it. But most of them would try if I told them it was "you, know, something like mole, but French."

You know how to talk to a Korean fellow. Although I doubt I could convince my friends that congealed pigs blood soup is, uhh, you know, hot irony Jell-o.