1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Terrible Fashion Blog Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Teger, Nov 2, 2011.

1. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and finally ...

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  2. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

here's my personal favorite. the writer actually posted a link to this on reddit a while ago, can't believe I didn't think to post it here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also, whenever this thread is bumped my blog gets like twice the traffic it usually does so...thanks?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  3. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

4. WaistcoatWonder

WaistcoatWonder Member

Hi all, I'm Ethan from http://dapper-on-a-dime.blogspot.com . It was with absolute horror that when I followed the small spike in page views to it's source here, I found my blog listed in this thread. I hang my head low with embarrassment to have made this list, and ask of you gentlemen, whom I turn to for advice (chiefly lurking, I am but a pleb) rather than just laugh at my blog, can you tell me what I could do to improve it?

I understand my sense of style is not going to mesh with everyones, and I definitely have a long ways to go, especially when it comes to fit, but I would strongly appreciate the gentlemen of SF to give me some solid critiques I could work on, so as to become a better informed style writer? My target audience is not the already well dressed but rather friends and family who have pushed me to put my thoughts on style on paper (so to speak). I would rather not mislead them and would be forever in your debt if you could point me in the right direction.

I have posted similar queries on Reddit's MFA only to be met with sneering and abuse with no actual critiques of what to do better. I've already earned the disrespect of SF, so please, give me feedback on what I can do better?

Respectfully,

Dapper On A Dime

4 people like this.
  5. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

This is actually how I started learning how to become a competent dresser too. My blog is posted on the first page of this thread, and now look at me, trashing people's blogs like I'm one of the guys. The biggest problem with the photos you've posted of yourself is that everything is at least a size too big, most noticeably on your formalwear fit, the fit I posted of you in the gray cable-knit sweater, the peacoat fits and the leather jacket fit. This blog gets into "Terrible Fashion Blog" territory not only because everything is too big, but because you tend to go on about proper fit as though you're an expert, which is what makes it funny.

You look like you lean MC Casual but that thread is pretty bad and won't be useful to getting advice for yourself. I'd recommend checking the SW&D WAYWT thread, studying the posters that have a look you're going for (NOBD is the standard example for a guy who dresses well without being some crazy fashion dude, also maybe NewYorkIslander on a good day (his SW&D fits are really not that great most of the time), maybe mike868y sometimes).

Anyway, once you do that, post a photo in WAYWT every once in a while (this will frustrate regulars until you get good, but this is what worked for me). You can read all you want about fit but it won't help you nearly as much as listening to somebody critique the clothes you're actually wearing. Anyway, post a fit every once in a while (not daily, don't post the same thing over and over), apply the advice you get and try again, try something new and post it, don't treat the thread like your personal advice thread, make progress and soon you'll be on your way to the people in this thread thinking you are cool, or something.

This is what worked for me.

15 people like this.
  6. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

caseyfud for styleforum success stories 2013.

10 people like this.
  7. colabear

colabear Senior member

mikey your hometown team won! :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  8. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

baltimore went NUTS tonight. we went downtown and it was crazy.

9. diniro

diniro Senior member

burn all your bowties, bright colored chinos, and fun socks. also stop reading GQ.

3 people like this.
  10. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Lose the faux-gentleman way of writing. I realize you're trying to sound polite and dignified, but you just come across as a try-hard, honestly.

11 people like this.
  11. Earnest Hemingway

Earnest Hemingway Senior member

One can only hope that the anachronistic archetype of the "Gentle Man," along with the Assembly-Line and the Internal Combustion Engine, shall soon be cast aside in favor of more progressive alternatives

srsly tho, it really bothers me. seems so regressive and cisnormative. this is the modern world; it's not mad men and it's certainly not downton abbey.

GQ alone is not to blame, i fear

3 people like this.
  12. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

13. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

got this popup

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  14. WaistcoatWonder

WaistcoatWonder Member

Many thanks for the honest opinions and replies. Will try and improve.

1 person likes this.
  15. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

holy shit, that can't be real

16. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

read his pitch, its so stupid its hard to believe.

17. diniro

diniro Senior member

could have posted every one of their pictures in the lookbook

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:uhoh::puzzled::uhoh::puzzled::uhoh::puzzled::uhoh::puzzled::uhoh::puzzled::uhoh::puzzled::uhoh::puzzled::uhoh::puzzled::uhoh::puzzled::uhoh:

3 people like this.
  18. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Less "Men's Style," more "Probable Rapist"

3 people like this.
  19. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

Why don´t we have the "shot in the mouth" emoticon? This thread could really benefit from it..

20. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Haha, this thread is awesome. I get that weird laughing/cringing from witnessing someone else's shame feeling