• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The tennis thread

blackdarkeye

Reaction score
Anyone else play tennis here? If you guys have any questions,post them here

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aussie Open next week...I'm pretty pumped.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackdarkeye
Anyone else play tennis here? If you guys have any questions i would be happy to answer them.

Why do players show up for a match w/ those ridiculous bags holding a dozen rackets?
I played a lot of tennis and have broken strings before, but never more than one at time. Wouldn't two extra rackets suffice?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ some player are really sensitive to string tension and they'll carry a bunch of racquets to change to if the string tension changes too much for them during the match. Or they'll want a racquet with a different tension to adjust their game during course of play

anyways I love tennis. Played varsity throughout high school. Nowadays I just kick ass on Wii tennis

$unny

Reaction score
im looking for an inexpensive indoor tennis facility/racquet club in manhattan or brooklyn. any ideas?

$unny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Good luck. I played for 15 years and have stopped in New York b/c the courts are expensive and it's not always easy to get time. That's one point for the suburbs...
this is what i'm starting to realize...

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Why do players show up for a match w/ those ridiculous bags holding a dozen rackets?
I played a lot of tennis and have broken strings before, but never more than one at time. Wouldn't two extra rackets suffice?

Uhh, it's pretty common to go through several if you hit hard. Also humidity can change how the tension works so they'll have extras.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by $unny
im looking for an inexpensive indoor tennis facility/racquet club in manhattan or brooklyn. any ideas?

An hour is easily $150 at Midtown and it's garbage. Other good option is going out to Queens.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
^Have you found anywhere to play in Chicago? Prices?

Played a lot at Northwestern before the weather turned. I need to find an indoor club because going to evanston is a bitch. Racquet club of Chicago is ghetto, it has one fucking court.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
I like tennis, but my shoulder doesn't. Atlanta is great for tennis freaks, but it wore me out (different leagues all year round).

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Uhh, it's pretty common to go through several if you hit hard. Also humidity can change how the tension works so they'll have extras.

This I understand. Mine is a "the good old days, the good old days - everyone's talikng about the good old days" comment. You never saw Rod Laver walk out on the court carrying one of those stupid bags that make you look like a hockey player. Power hitter on humid day? Fine, bring half a dozen and go nuts....

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40