• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tellman and I: A Love Story

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It started, as most things do, so innocently. My daughter and I had gone ice skating at the Houston Galleria, hoping to escape the heat. Afterwards I went into the Ralph Lauren store, my wife and daughter watching the ice skaters who remained, thinking I would take but a brief stroll and emerge with my credit card unscathed. And then it happened. They called out, almost coquettishly, demurely suggesting I take a look. So I did. They were, as fate would have it, marked down to $349 from the original $595. But there was more--a sign offering an additional 30% off the lowest marked price. As I was crunching the numbers in my head, the salesman appeared, and suggested casually that $160 was a great price for "those shoes." $160? I looked at him incedulously, and he decamped for the cash register where he verified the price. So I brought in Mrs. Vintage Gent and daughter and tried on the shoes. So taken was my wife (in clinical parlance, we call this an enabler) that she scarcely batted an eye at the prospect of an additional hit on the credit card--this, in fact, after some $1,400 in Chan charges over the past two months. They are a truly wonderful pair of shoes, one of the finest in my modest but growing collection. I am in love.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
It started, as most things do, so innocently. My daughter and I had gone ice skating at the Houston Galleria, hoping to escape the heat. Afterwards I went into the Ralph Lauren store, my wife and daughter watching the ice skaters who remained, thinking I would take but a brief stroll and emerge with my credit card unscathed. And then it happened. They called out, almost coquettishly, demurely suggesting I take a look. So I did. They were, as fate would have it, marked down to $349 from the original $595. But there was more--a sign offering an additional 30% off the lowest marked price. As I was crunching the numbers in my head, the salesman appeared, and suggested casually that $160 was a great price for "those shoes." $160? I looked at him incedulously, and he decamped for the cash register where he verified the price. So I brought in Mrs. Vintage Gent and daughter and tried on the shoes. So taken was my wife (in clinical parlance, we call this an enabler) that she scarcely batted an eye at the prospect of an additional hit on the credit card--this, in fact, after some $1,400 in Chan charges over the past two months. They are a truly wonderful pair of shoes, one of the finest in my modest but growing collection. I am in love.
But does your wife know that she's "enabling" this love affair that must end in tragedy? Your wife or the Tellmans? Just be sure not to put them on the bed between the two of you the way a certain shoe aficionado was wont to do.
wink.gif

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bet there isn't a dry eye in the house. I wish you all the best in your relationship.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great story and great purchase. May you wear them well!

If they were marked down to $349, and then there was a further 30% off of the lowest marked price, that should come to $244.30! So if the salesman told you they were $160, then the Gods must have really wanted you to have them.

BTW: The RL store and the Galleria are wonderful of course. But have you ever tried out the A. Taghi store, across the street. Mostly Italian clothing of course, featuring Brioni, but they will really make great deals, especially if they know you.

pkincy

Reaction score
The mark down I saw in July in SF at the RL store was to 229 (literally minutes after I had bought a pair from GVH for $212)!

Well after returning to Scottsdale I went to my local RL store and the Tellman's were $595! So I mentioned it and the salesman called and yes they were supposed to be $229 so that is what they marked them.

But I don't think the extra 30% off was supposed to apply. So you truly did deserve to have them.

I have taken a small dab of cordovan cream and lightly applied that to the toe cap and the sides of the heels as your wife might apply her make up. Than wiped it in and polished it. Than took Meltonian London Tan (actually a bit darker cream/polish than the Tellman) and have used that on them and they have turned out to have just the perfect amount of antiquing to them. Not as much as my Edwardian Antique EGs but beautiful nonetheless.

Great shoes!!

Perry

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tellman is a lovely shoe, I got mine from GVH for something like $120. I have not yet worn them. Pkincy's suggestion of antiquing sounds great, that'll be my next project.

mrchapel

Reaction score
This is, by far, the best story of a shoe deal I have read or heard in recent memory. Excellent deal! Perhaps some pictures to complement the story...
wink.gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dior,

That color you got is just marvelous. I find the original tan a little bit to light to work into my shoe rotation, but an antique job like yours would be perfect. Like I said before, I got a project ahead of me. I find it very relaxing to shine/buff/polish and now antique my shoes.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a terrific antiquing job you did.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
It started, as most things do, so innocently...

Great story, great deal.

pkincy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
That's a terrific antiquing job you did.

Here, here! Please describe the creams and polishes and techniques you used.

Perry

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads