• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Teacher Thread

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dollar store
dollarama.....etc is the best place for supplies

I can get 10 pens for a dollar at my local 99Cent store. I am trying to get some even cheaper.:lol:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It seems to me that the ratings would be private info for the personnel file, but not for public distribution. It is after all a performance evaluation, which is usually kept private.

I don't mind the publishing of the results if they were easily understood. They're not. The margin of error is +-50%, that's NUTS. Its also, as Gates says in the Times, one part of a multifaceted job. M'eh, I work with teachers who are very upset with this, and maybe I'd be if I were included, but I'm ot so I'm kind of ambivalent on the issue. Wonder if PD, FDNY, DoS will now also be subjected to the same public data evaluations. Imagine every PO's conviction/arrest ratio, or every firemen having a "mortality rate" or "damage rate" attached to fires they're fighting.

inlandisland

Reaction score

I can get 10 pens for a dollar at my local 99Cent store. I am trying to get some even cheaper.:lol:

Try Costco. Pens and pencils come in quantities of 50 - 60. I can't remember the price, but it might come out to be cheaper. People laugh at me when I open my drawer though:

(That's also 24 sharpies and 9 decks of playing cards :slayer: )

Last edited:

6up

Reaction score
Q for all the American teachers.

Up here in Ontario - Cda, we do reports cards with a mark AND comments. A friend of a friend in Mobile said they just do a mark. Is that the standard for AL or all of the public system in the USE?

FtRoyalty

Reaction score
It varies from division to division. I've written comments for all students, no students and students below a C.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In nYC we have a list of comments, but it goes school by school how you use them. Some schools don't, mine asks us to place a standards based comment and a general comment. I find them ridiculous and would much prefer to be able to type in personalized comments for each student as most of the cookie cutter ones don't apply 100%.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Summer folks...last day for me was today. Just wanted to share this note I got from a graduating student, in case like me, a few reminders of why we do what we do help us along:

"Mr. R,

Oh lord, I'm going to miss you sooooooo much; there are no words to explain. You truly, TRULY were and are an incredible inspiration to me. You helped me do things I never thought I could. You and only you, really do make me feel like I Can be something, and make differences. I promise ill try my hardest to be someone, and make the best decisions for you and your family. You taught me very well and in a very different way than the average social studies teacher would. I mean not every hostory teacher would let us have a paper ball war, or teach us the importance and meaning in song lyrics the way you do. I feel like I've matured and grew in your class, and I want to make you proud. I really do. I want to thank you So much for everything; all the feed back, the award, and the note you wrote to me. All of it means so much to me and ill treasure it forever. I really hope you don't forget me, cause in 10 or 15 years from now; ill hopefully be something or someone, making the changes you want for your children, and making the differences you wish to see. And when I do accomplish something like that, I want you to be able to recognize me when I say that the person that lead me to make such differences was Mr. Rossicone. You brought out the side of me I never knew I had. You're just amazing and awesome in every way. You'll always be important to me. You're the only teacher and person that really makes me feel special, and like I'm capable of doing something big and important with my life. I love you mr. R, and I wish you and your family an amazing life; you deserve it."

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Happy Summer folks...last day for me was today. Just wanted to share this note I got from a graduating student, in case like me, a few reminders of why we do what we do help us along:
"Mr. R,
Oh lord, I'm going to miss you sooooooo much; there are no words to explain. You truly, TRULY were and are an incredible inspiration to me. You helped me do things I never thought I could. You and only you, really do make me feel like I Can be something, and make differences. I promise ill try my hardest to be someone, and make the best decisions for you and your family. You taught me very well and in a very different way than the average social studies teacher would. I mean not every hostory teacher would let us have a paper ball war, or teach us the importance and meaning in song lyrics the way you do. I feel like I've matured and grew in your class, and I want to make you proud. I really do. I want to thank you So much for everything; all the feed back, the award, and the note you wrote to me. All of it means so much to me and ill treasure it forever. I really hope you don't forget me, cause in 10 or 15 years from now; ill hopefully be something or someone, making the changes you want for your children, and making the differences you wish to see. And when I do accomplish something like that, I want you to be able to recognize me when I say that the person that lead me to make such differences was Mr. Rossicone. You brought out the side of me I never knew I had. You're just amazing and awesome in every way. You'll always be important to me. You're the only teacher and person that really makes me feel special, and like I'm capable of doing something big and important with my life. I love you mr. R, and I wish you and your family an amazing life; you deserve it."

:slayer: you making the world a better place, rob. :cheers:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For those of you who need cheap supplies: The back to school sales will be starting in a few weeks. Now's the best time to stock up on CHEAP supplies, especially with things like teacher discounts, etc. You need to keep an eye out in the Sunday paper for specials, or better yet, view the ads in advance on sites like SlickDeals and FatWallet. Its amazing the amount of **** you can stockpile for next to nothing. I'd do this for the person that I used to take care of and they'd be loaded for the whole year.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the teachers: Do you think being around kids all the time has slowed down your maturity? Or has it made you more responsible and mature? Do you see yourself acting different compared to adult similar to your age? Being around such young minds all the time must have some kind of an affect on adult brains.

KenRose

Reaction score
lol; I know what you are getting at. I'm 45, and definitely do not feel like I'm "old". In fact, just thinking that I'm close to 50 makes me amazed because I feel mentally like I'm 28
Question for the teachers: Do you think being around kids all the time has slowed down your maturity? Or has it made you more responsible and mature? Do you see yourself acting different compared to adult similar to your age? Being around such young minds all the time must have some kind of an affect on adult brains.

Gunky

Reaction score
i think a qualitative and quantitative study needs to be done on schools in major urban areas to answer a lot of questions

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

6up

Reaction score
.......a bowtie also does the trick!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads