• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Teacher Thread

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I find similar routines throughout asia. Although not so much of the running to martial music and more studying.

Communist country. Also all new students have to do a week's basic military training, mainly drill and parade. Every Monday morning, all students, teachers and staff have to stand to attention for flag raising, national anthem(March of the Volunteers) and school song.

It's no wonder why China and India and other Asian countries are becoming powerhouses, and the US and Europe are decaying.

It was a culture shock for me when I first started working here.

My old secondary school in the UK, sold its sports facilities and grounds for housing development. My school here has Olympic quality track and field facilities.

Last edited:

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
You do know I'm in Mainland China?
OK this might freak you out:
School day starts at 05.30 with wakeup call, 06.00 running to martial music and whistles(exercise), 6.30 breakfast, 7.30 first lesson, 10.00 more running to martial music, 10.30 lessons, 12.00 lunch then break, 14.40 lessons, 16.10 running to martial music, 16.30 lessons, sports or drill, 18.00 dinner, 19.00 self study or homework in classrooms, 21.30 end of self study, 22.00 lights out. Six days a week Monday to Saturday. Sunday is day-off. It is a boarding school.

I find similar routines throughout asia. Although not so much of the running to martial music and more studying. It's no wonder why China and India and other Asian countries are becoming powerhouses, and the US and Europe are decaying.

...? I don't think this is the reason they're becoming powerhouses.

Yeah they might not be fat (wow high bar there) but you'll quickly notice most of them aren't capable of simple thought.

Last edited:

StylishSteve

Reaction score
Hey MikeDT,

How easy is it to find a job teaching English in Outer Mongolia? I'm planning on doing so next year when I get out of college (I would already be except that all the schools I looked at had an age requirement.) Do any rural schools need English teachers, or is there only a demand in bigger cities?

And Eason is correct, the Chinese can't think. When I was traveling around in Gansu Province last summer, I eventually gave up on trying to make sense of things. You'll go insane trying to find reasons because there aren't any. You gotta go with the flow. If that means waking up at 5AM every morning because some asshole cruises around town blaring his horn, then so be it.

PS: Reading through some of your posts inspired me to register an account here, MikeDT. :)

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
By outer mongolia you mean real Mongolia, non-Chinese occupied Mongolia? Probably quite easy.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Aaaagh, I meant inner Mongolia. 

Yes it is Inner Mongolia. Foreign teachers are often required, but it's usually in Hohhot. AFAIK I'm the only westerner in this city, never seen another. Maybe it's the cold winters puts them off, they want to stay in the warmer areas.

I did have some friends come to visit during the summer, so I wasn't the only foreigner here for three days.

...welcome to my house.

It's true Mainland Chinese aren't really trained to think, can't have that it would be too dangerous. They're trained to obey, study hard, pass exams and to be good at sports. Thing is living in various areas of China for a few years, kind of warps the mind into believing anything is possible and nothing really comes as a surprise.

Schools can be so variable, from absolute poverty stricken **** pits, where they're lucky just to have desks and a blackboard. The middle school I'm currently at, where basically money is no object and seems to have best of everything. Same for all govt. schools in Xilinhot. Could have something to do with been an Autonomous Region('Chinese occupied Mongolia' as Eason puts it). Xilin Gol Vocational College has a beautiful campus that was built only three years ago. Next year the college is moving to an even better new campus.

Welcome to SF Steve, happy you like my posts. :)

BTW I've just been reading 'World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War'

"There was still one last duty to perform. The Politburo, those hated old men who had caused so much misery already, were still holed up in their leadership bunker in Xilinhot, still controlling at least half of our country’s dwindling ground forces. They would never surrender, everyone knew this; they would keep their mad hold on power, squandering what was left of our military. If the civil war dragged on any longer, the only beings left in China would be the living dead."

Last edited:

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any advantages gained from getting a Master's degree?

I have always thought teaching high school or even middle school English would be fun, probably because in my expereince English classes were the most enjoyable for me and my teachers there where best at teaching us things that go beyond the scope of traditional middle school curriculum if you will.

Anyway, I am fully aware of the dire straits teachers and the education system is experiencing, but I am curious as to whether a Master's degree helps in any stage of the career: initial hiring process, teacher training, etc.

I like school, that is probably my problem. I enjoy reading about things and all that stuff. So going back to school wouldn't bother me much. What I wonder if there is an extra incentive for a prospective teacher.

mmmmpay

Reaction score

Any advantages gained from getting a Master's degree?
I have always thought teaching high school or even middle school English would be fun, probably because in my expereince English classes were the most enjoyable for me and my teachers there where best at teaching us things that go beyond the scope of traditional middle school curriculum if you will.
Anyway, I am fully aware of the dire straits teachers and the education system is experiencing, but I am curious as to whether a Master's degree helps in any stage of the career: initial hiring process, teacher training, etc.
I like school, that is probably my problem. I enjoy reading about things and all that stuff. So going back to school wouldn't bother me much. What I wonder if there is an extra incentive for a prospective teacher.

Well hello,

I do not know how this works in other states. So I'll base my comments on personal experience. In my state a Master of Arts Degree is required within a few years after you begin teaching. So you pretty much need a master's degree to be a teacher.

Also, you need some degree or other in education. If you do not have a bachelor's in education, you need a masters in education or in teaching. But if you have a BS in education, than your masters can be in your subject area. A BA in English and a MA English is worthless unless your certified

There are fast certification routes, but they are suspect in the eyes of many.

In conclusion, if you want to be a teacher, find out what you need to teach in the states you want to teach in. If you do not have an bachelors degree in education (I presume you don't) an MAT (Master of Arts in Teaching) will go a lot further than an MA in English.

mmmmpay

Reaction score
Also,

Teaching high school English is a lot of fun.

It is also wildly stressful if you care about people. It's tough to worry about and help improve the future of 120 kids and then find time to relax on the weekends.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno, I'm helping to improve the future of 5,000 kids and still find time to relax at weekends. :)

Last edited:

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a problem with students not having pens, pencils, or paper? Its a huge distraction/time waste with students and kids I tutor.
I think I am going to buy a bulk lot of school supplies and give it to students who come to class unprepared. Where would be the cheapest place to pick up a bulk lot of pens and pencils?

6up

Reaction score
dollar store
dollarama.....etc is the best place for supplies

As for stray pens/pencils, I pick em up in the hallways and keep em in a mug

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

School's policy, as of last year. Gives them an incentive not to be late for lessons. The corridors are cold and the classrooms are nice and warm. Students are very rarely late for lessons. The school itself is very strong on student discipline anyway.
They don't do detentions here, as it's not really productive and wastes everyone's time. Punishments usually involve extra cleaning duties instead of doing sports, or something they might like. Anyone caught smoking is fined. No corporal punishment either.

In NYC that is considered corporal punishment.

As far as dealing with attendance problems, our admins hound the parents of kids who are habitually late/absent. Sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't. They also just started awarding pizza/cookie/icecream parties to classes who are top 3 in school wide attendance. I suppose you can offer some kind of reward for kids who are 100%.

Last edited:

newinny

Reaction score
@NYR

What do you think about the publicly disclosed teacher ratings? good or bad?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads