The Teacher Thread

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by NewYorkIslander, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Those of you who do teach in levels below HS, how do you deal with your co-workers? As a man in an "elementary" setting, I get so frustrated with many of them. I feel they are very weak minded, don't question ANYTHING, and then bitch about the circumstances they find themselves in. Then you have the opposite, those who are so strong minded that they don't care what anyone tells them, they do what they feel is best, get reemed out when things don't work out, and then bitch about the circumstances they find themselves in. Even the men I work with. I wind up spending most of my time alone preparing instead of collaborating with these people because they drive me up a fucking wall. Its like there is no middle ground for them. There's also such underlying cut throat competition at staff meetings where if a teachers makes a suggestion that administration likes, that teacher is ostracized by his or her peers. There's also a sense of "my job is harder/more important than yours" where I work as well, which I know is due to the standardized testing and promotional criteria (have to pass Math and ELA) and in my school the two lead teachers in those subjects (and the entire grade's ELA staff) are not even certified in those areas. Is this something that is just in my school (I've worked in only one school for ten years - aside from summer school) or is it throughout? Sorry, just needed to blow off a little steam and hopefully hear some useful tips on how to deal with it.
    Yep, sounds about right.

2. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

believe me, it's like that at HS too. Also, I teach PE. Dude, EVERYONE thinks that their job is harder and more important than mine, yet my car is one of the first in the lot at 6:45 and is the last when I leave (at 6 when I'm not coaching, at 8 when I am). Not sure that you should follow my lead, but I usually deal with it by keeping to myself and those within my team.
    Sorry if you had a bad week bud. Try to take a day away from the school work just as a mental break.

Those of you who do teach in levels below HS, how do you deal with your co-workers?

As a man in an "elementary" setting, I get so frustrated with many of them. I feel they are very weak minded, don't question ANYTHING, and then bitch about the circumstances they find themselves in. Then you have the opposite, those who are so strong minded that they don't care what anyone tells them, they do what they feel is best, get reemed out when things don't work out, and then bitch about the circumstances they find themselves in. Even the men I work with. I wind up spending most of my time alone preparing instead of collaborating with these people because they drive me up a fucking wall. Its like there is no middle ground for them. There's also such underlying cut throat competition at staff meetings where if a teachers makes a suggestion that administration likes, that teacher is ostracized by his or her peers. There's also a sense of "my job is harder/more important than yours" where I work as well, which I know is due to the standardized testing and promotional criteria (have to pass Math and ELA) and in my school the two lead teachers in those subjects (and the entire grade's ELA staff) are not even certified in those areas. Is this something that is just in my school (I've worked in only one school for ten years - aside from summer school) or is it throughout?

Sorry, just needed to blow off a little steam and hopefully hear some useful tips on how to deal with it.

3. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

+1 on stick to people in your own dept/other depts who are worthwhile.

4. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

+1 on stick to people in your own dept/other depts who are worthwhile.

Thats the thing, my "department" is one other guy who teaches 7th grade history. So it can get pretty lonely, but thats ok. The school is so small in that regard. I wish I was able to get out to more history staff development. The past few years, through a generous grant, I was able to attend conferences at CUNY Grad Center with the American Social History Project. With two little kids at home I don't have the time to do much staff development on my own time, so without that....

How often are you guys sent out on Staff Development? I wish there was more available.

5. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

^^Thus, why I included "other departments" too! There may be people worth knowing in other places. About Professional Development- we have about one a month, but it's honestly not very helpful for a lot of us who are pretty experienced in pedagogy. Of course, it depends entirely on the topic of the workshop.

6. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

I do most of my own professional development at home online. I've mentioned that twitter is a killer resource to set up a PLN (prof learning network). I connect with other teachers, newbies, administrators and even a couple superintendents. So good for tossing a question out there and getting replies that you can actually work with (and in a non-competitive environment). We've added five days to the school year so we can have five pro-d days. One is province wide and you can hit up conferences by subject or whatever all over the place and the rest are district wide- those are fdutger divided up into school and subject and are sometimes self directed. Now, many schools are doing PLCs which add a certain amount of time to the school day so that every second Wednesday there is an hour in the morning set aside for teachers to collaborate in groups (divided however they want).

To be honest it's totally weird hearing about the tough time you're having connect with e other staff- mind you, we don't put a lot if emphasis on standardized testing. The school i do the most work at is even going so far ti get rid of %ags in grade 8 and 9 and only sticking to authentic assessment and letter grades. As for inter-departmental communication- it depends totally on school culture. My practicum school was massive but the teachers there connected really well on a personal level so that made it all the more easier two collaborate on methods, units and ideas.

The elementary school i sometimes work at is almost all women (one full time male and one part-time music guy) and tensions sometimes get high. Wouldn't want to be in a situation like that.

7. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

I do a lot of PD on my own. Weenends/evening/summer. We have designated PD days here in Canada; I believe we have 3 a year, but for the most part they are not very helpful to me. I plan one of them for my department, and that's usually the one that's most worth wile.

Thats the thing, my "department" is one other guy who teaches 7th grade history. So it can get pretty lonely, but thats ok. The school is so small in that regard. I wish I was able to get out to more history staff development. The past few years, through a generous grant, I was able to attend conferences at CUNY Grad Center with the American Social History Project. With two little kids at home I don't have the time to do much staff development on my own time, so without that....

How often are you guys sent out on Staff Development? I wish there was more available.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Great article in the Times on the stupidity of the new NY teacher grading system: https://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/07/e...pagewanted=all

9. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Apparently there is a new alternative certification option starting in Texas. You pay full fees up-front (about $2.8k), do some classwork and then 14 weeks unpaid work as a teacher's assistant. Sit the final exams and then get your license - no probation or internship year.

I think the teacher schools will love it because they get their money up-front, even if you don't secure a teaching position once licensed.

10. javyn

javyn Senior member

Dear teachers, why are you all such lazy welfare whores who hate America?

11. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Apparently there is a new alternative certification option starting in Texas. You pay full fees up-front (about $2.8k), do some classwork and then 14 weeks unpaid work as a teacher's assistant. Sit the final exams and then get your license - no probation or internship year.

I think the teacher schools will love it because they get their money up-front, even if you don't secure a teaching position once licensed.

I wonder how much of the focus will be on modern pedagogical techniques and theories rather than just training 'more of the same'.

12. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Dear teachers, why are you all such lazy welfare whores who hate America?

Don't worry. Most regret it after 5 years and quit.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Don't worry. Most regret it after 5 years and quit.
    Wow. People really stick with it up there in Canada.

14. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

I wonder how much of the focus will be on modern pedagogical techniques and theories rather than just training 'more of the same'.

I imagine we will see a move from the former to the latter.

I was at a district meeting today and we all started talking about the pending lay-offs. At first I was encouraged that everyone agreed there was merit in keeping both the new and the experienced teachers. In fact, everyone agreed that the selection should be on merit. Yay. Then we started discussing the best metrics for measuring teacher merit. Not yay. I am still stunned that one 40-something high school teacher really believed that popularity with the students was the most important measure of teacher performance.

15. Dinhilion

Dinhilion Senior member

I imagine we will see a move from the former to the latter.

I was at a district meeting today and we all started talking about the pending lay-offs. At first I was encouraged that everyone agreed there was merit in keeping both the new and the experienced teachers. In fact, everyone agreed that the selection should be on merit. Yay. Then we started discussing the best metrics for measuring teacher merit. Not yay. I am still stunned that one 40-something high school teacher really believed that popularity with the students was the most important measure of teacher performance.

It's called playing to your strengths.