Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Teacher Thread

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by NewYorkIslander, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Dinhilion

Dinhilion Senior member

Sorry for the spamming, just wanted to stir things up a bit here in the pedagogy realm:

I suggest reading the entire article although here's a snippet. (and i think parallels can be drawn with physical activity)

http://www.alfiekohn.org/teaching/nonreaders.htm

Just one quick comment. Tje studies I was shown in social psych demonstrated grades did help intrinsic motivation. It was just blind reward that did not. For example, giving everyone a medal for playing a game makes them stop playing the.game. grading them does not because it reward their hard work. It teaches them that the.process is important. It's just a point. I can try to find the studies at one point.

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

hey man, as much as you might want to start with season 4, start with season one. I wish I had 5 unwatched seasons of The Wire left!
    My wife and I are on season three in our second time through the series. Fuck it is good.

3. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Sorry for the spamming, just wanted to stir things up a bit here in the pedagogy realm: I suggest reading the entire article although here's a snippet. (and i think parallels can be drawn with physical activity) http://www.alfiekohn.org/teaching/nonreaders.htm
    So this is all likely true. However it doesn't do much to just say "all these options are bad" without giving any solutions to the problem of how to have students read. edit: looking at the whole article, it seems that they do list some suggestions. However, they are almost all specific to writing.
    this is a really interesting thread. does anyone have any experience teaching college level? I'm entering an MA/PHD program next year and will be teaching by my second semester, and I'm having some definite anxiety about the experience.
    Fake it till you make it. Don't over-prepare (or under-prepare of course!) and know what you're talking about. Learn the subject well before you teach it.

4. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

So this is all likely true. However it doesn't do much to just say "all these options are bad" without giving any solutions to the problem of how to have students read.

While Kohn does point out some solutions in this article, he's notorious for identifying problems without identifying any specific solutions. I don't think there's huge problem with that, though, so long as people collaborate and try new things.

I'm extremely interested in reading studies that show how grades act to increase intrinsic motivation because most studies and literature and personal experience I read/have point in the exact opposite direction. I think the answer, like most things, lies somewhere in the middle but these conversations are absolutely necessary if we're going to have any meaningful change.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

CB - WATCH THE WIRE!!!!! ITS THE BEST SHOW EVER!!!!! JUST WATCH IT ALREADY!!!!!
    My wife and I are on season three in our second time through the series. Fuck it is good.
    For some reason I found this surprising. Can't figure out exactly why at the moment. Just out of curiosity, what did the wife think of season 4? Has she ever spent time working in inner city/ghetto schools?

6. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

Lol, I can't tell you how many times I've rewatched 1 through 3. Which was your favorite? For me it's prob season 2.

7. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

CB - WATCH THE WIRE!!!!! ITS THE BEST SHOW EVER!!!!! JUST WATCH IT ALREADY!!!!!

For some reason I found this surprising. Can't figure out exactly why at the moment. Just out of curiosity, what did the wife think of season 4? Has she ever spent time working in inner city/ghetto schools?

Pretty sure Battlestar Galactica and Saved By The Bell are the best shows ever. Pretty sure.

8. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

Sheeee-it
    Pretty sure Battlestar Galactica and Saved By The Bell are the best shows ever. Pretty sure.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Battlestar is also in my top 5. I will accept this answer. Still, it does not excuse your laxness in this. Get on the ball young man.

10. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

You McNulty, are a gaping asshole [​IMG]
    Battlestar is also in my top 5. I will accept this answer

11. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Battlestar was awesome, but boy did the last season fall apart towards the [​IMG] of a final.

12. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Battlestar was awesome, but boy did the last season fall apart towards the [​IMG] of a final.

Long before that for me, though the first half dozen or so eps were pure TV gold.

Speaking of unrealistic TV, how do I become a full-time Glee teacher? Mr. Shu seems to teach nothing but Glee Club and can wear jeans to work! [​IMG]

13. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Long before that for me, though the first half dozen or so eps were pure TV gold.

Speaking of unrealistic TV, how do I become a full-time Glee teacher? Mr. Shu seems to teach nothing but Glee Club and can wear jeans to work! [​IMG]

I saw the pilot recently and was shocked to learn that he has (had?) another gig as a Spanish teacher.

14. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

I saw the pilot recently and was shocked to learn that he has (had?) another gig as a Spanish teacher.

Traduciremos hoy las letras de esta canción de Journey a español?

15. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Traduciremos hoy las letras de esta canción de Journey a español?

Sólo una chica de pequeña ciudad
    Viviendo en un mundo solitario...