• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tape Project.

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Very nice LK. My friend has a Teac mastering deck in black. M-2000 I believe. Really terrific sound.

Enjoy!

I have this exact model, but haven't used it for years. I did use my Tandberg quite a bit. If I were you I'd hold out for one of the fairly easy to find Revox A77 decks and mod out the electronics.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This machine came from a man who had bought it new in the '70s, used it less than 10 times and then stored it away until he died. I acquired it from the widow.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think converting MP3's to tape isn't anachronistic enough... LK, you should start converting MP3's into Phonograph cylinders.

ABDMS021230.JPG

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by summej2
I have this exact model, but haven't used it for years. I did use my Tandberg quite a bit. If I were you I'd hold out for one of the fairly easy to find Revox A77 decks and mod out the electronics.

He has some great tapes and it is like being in the studio.
smile.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The remote control for this machine is strangely pricey. Indeed, used reel to reel accessories are alarmingly expensive.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The remote control for this machine is strangely pricey. Indeed, used reel to reel accessories are alarmingly expensive.

Supply and demand.
teacha.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Maybe, LK, but tell yourself whatever you want, reel-to-reel is about as relevant as cassette. The fact that a few people with too much money to burn want to spend $500/tape doesn't make it relevant. I was reading an article about a guy that remasters the old stuff and he said he has to put a lot of tapes from a certain era in the oven before he can work on them and that he'd get about 30min of work done before they had to go back in.
lol8[1].gif
If you've got that sort of money and like the look of it, fine, but you're not going to get better sound.

Those tapes are baked because improperly stored tape absorbs moisture and sonic quality is vastly reduced and they start to shed; baking temporarily removes the moisture. With the right components, one can get a superior sound, depending on preferences of course.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
It's very common to have tapes baked during an audiophile remastering process. Fortunately some important catalogs like the Beatles tapes have been properly stored at the right temperature and humidity.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
reminds me to my old tefifon I got for 50bucks at ebay. great device for a picknick ..

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
screw that - 8" floppy discs for sheer geek factor.

frick, you never find anyone who remembers that. I remember seeing them once at someones office, never to be seen again.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
frick, you never find anyone who remembers that. I remember seeing them once at someones office, never to be seen again.

Ha! We had an IT person come to give a talk at my school when I was in grade 5 or 6, back in the early 1980s. He brought along some relatively advanced technology - some 8" floppies and a hard drive comprised of a set of (IIRC) gold-coated platters, each about the size of an LP. Quite fascinating to see.

Not long after that, the father of one my friends obtained one of the first "laptop" computers. It was the size of a suitcase with a very small, black and white screen (made by Texas Instruments - what happened to them!?). He also had a modem, which incorporated an old-fashioned telephone handset. It looked like the one that I had recently seen in "War Games" with Matthew Broderick and thus my friend and I thought it was very cool.

mystillwater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tape project website

tableshot.jpg

what kind of convention do you suppose the woman in the plaid shirt on the left thought she was attending? and did she feel underdressed?

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mystillwater
what kind of convention do you suppose the woman in the plaid shirt on the left thought she was attending? and did she feel underdressed?

The guys do not have drape suits either. The male - female ratio at these conventions is a little skewed.

-

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics