• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Oakd

Reaction score
I'm not looking for a classic fit, the best way I can put what I'm looking for is that independent of the style if should be a good fit. I'm going to go ahead and try a 50, I feel that the collar is pushing out at the slightest movement + some slight constriction where my shoulders meet my chest. Also the "wrinkled" sleeves are killing it for me...

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have pants with an extra 2.5 inches under the hem. Is that enough for a 1.5 inch cuff? I would prefer 2 inch but I don’t think that is possible.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have pants with an extra 2.5 inches under the hem. Is that enough for a 1.5 inch cuff? I would prefer 2 inch but I don’t think that is possible.
No not enough. The fabric is doubled to make a cuff so you need at least 3 inches for a 1.5 inch cuff plus a little more to sew the end of the fabric—let’s say 3.25-3.5”.

dukeaw

Reaction score
All,

I had 2 sport coats made by a local tailor. They are exact same in fit. They are made with extremely light canvas and minimal shoulder pads. Any feedback would be appreciated.

What can we do to clean up the left arm? it doesnt seem to drape properly.
Also, I asked for roominess in the back for movement. Was this a mistake? The back is half lined, which is why it may lot lay as perfectly as it should?
Lastly, he/I made a mistake on the welt pocket on the blue sport coat. It was supposed to be a barchetta however I miscommunicated and he made it straight but at a barchetta angle?... Is it noticeably off?
The shirt I'm wearing has shrunken sleeves so they arent showing properly...

IMG_5523.JPG IMG_4736.JPG IMG_0100.JPG IMG_9205.JPG IMG_1196.JPG IMG_0671.JPG IMG_5239.JPG IMG_0191.JPG

Last edited:

mux8

Reaction score
All,

I had 2 sport coats made by a local tailor. They are exact same in fit. They are made with extremely light canvas and minimal shoulder pads. Any feedback would be appreciated.

What can we do to clean up the left arm? it doesnt seem to drape properly.
Also, I asked for roominess in the back for movement. Was this a mistake? The back is half lined, which is why it may lot lay as perfectly as it should?
Lastly, he/I made a mistake on the welt pocket on the blue sport coat. It was supposed to be a barchetta however I miscommunicated and he made it straight but at a barchetta angle?... Is it noticeably off?
The shirt I'm wearing has shrunken sleeves so they arent showing properly...

View attachment 1301676 View attachment 1301677 View attachment 1301678 View attachment 1301679 View attachment 1301680 View attachment 1301681 View attachment 1301682 View attachment 1301683

Have you pressed steamed these? They might look like that because they haven't been pressed, just a guess.

dukeaw

Reaction score
Have you pressed steamed these? They might look like that because they haven't been pressed, just a guess.
They came straight from the tailor who I believe should have pressed them. I’ll give them a fresh press and take a look again. Good idea!

Wilson13

Reaction score
This probably sounds like a silly question with an obvious answer, but I know it is often suggested to shorten the back rise to clean up the back of pants. Can I apply the same logic to my measurements before the pants are made (i.e., decrease the back rise measurement a little)? For reference, the measurements I use are 12.5” front and 18” back.

Wilson13

Reaction score
This probably sounds like a silly question with an obvious answer, but I know it is often suggested to shorten the back rise to clean up the back of pants. Can I apply the same logic to my measurements before the pants are made (i.e., decrease the back rise measurement a little)? For reference, the measurements I use are 12.5” front and 18” back.
Anyone? TIA

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ The answer should come from the people making the trouser. You would be surprised of the different approaches to solve fit issues. They made the pattern and should know how to adjust it. Anything told to you here could be misinterpreted or not applied as it is meant.

Wilson13

Reaction score
^ The answer should come from the people making the trouser. You would be surprised of the different approaches to solve fit issues. They made the pattern and should know how to adjust it. Anything told to you here could be misinterpreted or not applied as it is meant.
Fair. Thanks for the response.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all - first time posting in this thread.
Can a tailor easily cleanup the area circled in red? Too much fabric in the hip area. Would taking in the hip seem mess up the pockets? Thanks

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^. This is an uncommon effect. First thing I would check is the lining. It may have shrunk or may have been put in wrong. See if it is tight from the facing across to the vent. If the lining isn’t too small, the alteration is to open the side seams and take in the front only. That should clean it up

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks @Despos

This is a MTM trial suit which I submitted the measurements myself to my factory. One of the jacket measurements called for a "hip" measurement in which I obviously measured too large. I'll decrease this data point for my next order.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wouldn't change the measurement until you know what caused this. The same measurement was used for the trouser. Are they too big in the seat? If not, the issue on the jacket has nothing to do with your measurement.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads