• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Comparing

I see zero bowing on either. If you pull on the front button there should be about 2 inches of space (the gap between your shirt).

It's hard to compare that Havanna since it's linen/cotton and completely unstructured.

Comparing the Jort in the original post. The 48 seems more balanced and proportioned in total. The 50 gives you more boxy shoulder look.

Maybe others have different thoughts, but I would opt for a 48 and skip alterations.
Thanks for the patient assessment! I'm leaning towards the 48 now, knowing the shoulders are the most important to nail down.

Having said that, I hope the tailors around here also chime in just for my peace of mind. :)

mux8

Reaction score
Thanks for the patient assessment! I'm leaning towards the 48 now, knowing the shoulders are the most important to nail down.

Having said that, I hope the tailors around here also chime in just for my peace of mind. :)

Another thing you can do, if you have the time, is to take both suits to a well known local tailor and have them assess it. Online, sometimes it's blatantly obvious if the fit is wrong. Based on all the tings you showed I do believe the 48 is more balanced on you. At the same time, some opt for over-sized or more boxy suits, whether intentional or not, I prefer no enhance not accentuate my body shape and as a result would go with the 48. The blazer is not supposed to a sweater so it might feel "tight" when buttoned up and when you are doing certain motions, like crossing your arms and lifting the far forward, which I believe is par for the course.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Another thing you can do, if you have the time, is to take both suits to a well known local tailor and have them assess it. Online, sometimes it's blatantly obvious if the fit is wrong. Based on all the tings you showed I do believe the 48 is more balanced on you. At the same time, some opt for over-sized or more boxy suits, whether intentional or not, I prefer no enhance not accentuate my body shape and as a result would go with the 48. The blazer is not supposed to a sweater so it might feel "tight" when buttoned up and when you are doing certain motions, like crossing your arms and lifting the far forward, which I believe is par for the course.

I'll keep that in mind!
Quick follow-up question, on the 48 I often see a "roping"/pucking of the right shoulder, and it's asymmetrical, the left side doesn't do this, and neither of the shoulders on the 50 does this. I personally don't like it (since it's asymmetrical) and find myself pulling at the sleeve to make it disappear. Is this normal for Spalla Camicia shoulders? See photos with arrow.

Skjermbilde 2019-11-19 kl. 23.37.03.png Skjermbilde 2019-11-19 kl. 23.38.15.png

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at all of your pictures, I think the issue is not with the shoulders of the suit, but with your shoulders themselves, which appear to be uneven. In all of the photos, your right shoulder seems to be lower than the left. Depending on the padding in the jacket shoulders, this unevenness may create the bumps that you're unhappy with.

mux8

Reaction score
Looking at them all again, I have to agree that the 48 has the best silhouette. The 50 will have to be brought it by at least an inch. The more it is taken in, the more the original silhouette of the blazer's construction is compromised.

Look at your profile from the side. The 48 drapes beautifully and gives you refined slim profile. The 50 drowns your body and your definition is lost.

This was also my observation looking at both photos from the front.

I do notice that your right shoulder slopes downward more than your right shoulder. You may request to add little padding my a tailor to even them (although I personally don't think it is such a big problem that it requires fixing)

There's also cost.
50, requires shortening and bringing in the back maybe this is at least 40$
48, little padding or no alterations

BTW which model is this jacket? I really like it.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at them all again, I have to agree that the 48 has the best silhouette. The 50 will have to be brought it by at least an inch. The more it is taken in, the more the original silhouette of the blazer's construction is compromised.

Look at your profile from the side. The 48 drapes beautifully and gives you refined slim profile. The 50 drowns your body and your definition is lost.

This was also my observation looking at both photos from the front.

I do notice that your right shoulder slopes downward more than your right shoulder. You may request to add little padding my a tailor to even them (although I personally don't think it is such a big problem that it requires fixing)

There's also cost.
50, requires shortening and bringing in the back maybe this is at least 40$
48, little padding or no alterations

BTW which model is this jacket? I really like it.

You've been pretty active in this thread recently. I thought since you are relatively new to the forum that I would point out that this thread is specifically for professional tailors to provide their opinions. I'm sure you're just trying to be helpful, but often times that results in bad advice.

I hope you're enjoying the forum and welcome!

mux8

Reaction score
BTW which model is this suit?
You've been pretty active in this thread recently. I thought since you are relatively new to the forum that I would point out that this thread is specifically for professional tailors to provide their opinions. I'm sure you're just trying to be helpful, but often times that results in bad advice.

apologies, will refrain

MacGuffen

Reaction score

I'm still hoping one of the professionals here will chime in, even if only to say they agree with the earlier assessment.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up this jacket, and have had the sleeves adjusted, but it's a bit longer than my other jackets - I always aim for showing a bit more cuff..

My tailor has offered to re-do to make it a bit shorter if I want.

Am I splitting hairs? Should I just leave it as is? I suppose it's also a winter/autumn fabric, and could be okay a touch longer, as I may wear a sweater underneath one day..

s1.jpg s2.jpg
s3.jpg

StartingStyle

Reaction score
Hello @All, coming from the Luxire thread an I need some advice on what to change on my next iteration. Main issue is the back of my pants which looks worse on pictures than in real life to me.
My aim is to remain the same height of the trousers. Further I will definitely increase the length for 2cm.

thanks for help

Attachments

• C0762FB2-1CBE-45BE-A2E7-B8CDB521CBE2.jpeg
    C0762FB2-1CBE-45BE-A2E7-B8CDB521CBE2.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 287FC682-60F3-4985-991D-CECB30960BE7.jpeg
    287FC682-60F3-4985-991D-CECB30960BE7.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 1252845B-4221-4550-8A98-186057D1170A.jpeg
    1252845B-4221-4550-8A98-186057D1170A.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 54E95A4F-39C0-44B0-A742-C9F0E17F4EAC.jpeg
    54E95A4F-39C0-44B0-A742-C9F0E17F4EAC.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 74

amiga505

Reaction score
looking for suggestions. trousers as well. I think I am generally happy with them... and yet something seems off. I can't nail it - something about the back, the seat area?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_711.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_711.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 46
  • fullsizeoutput_710.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_710.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 45
  • fullsizeoutput_70f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_70f.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 45
  • fullsizeoutput_70d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_70d.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 50
  • fullsizeoutput_70e.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_70e.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 78

ruvort

Reaction score
Hello @All, coming from the Luxire thread an I need some advice on what to change on my next iteration. Main issue is the back of my pants which looks worse on pictures than in real life to me.
My aim is to remain the same height of the trousers. Further I will definitely increase the length for 2cm.

thanks for help
looking for suggestions. trousers as well. I think I am generally happy with them... and yet something seems off. I can't nail it - something about the back, the seat area?

There certainly is a lot that needs fixed around the seat in both of these trousers.
This document might help with diagnosing some of the issues:

Attachments

• Trouser Fitting-1.pdf
    13.4 MB · Views: 106

Wilson13

Reaction score
Picked up this jacket, and have had the sleeves adjusted, but it's a bit longer than my other jackets - I always aim for showing a bit more cuff..

My tailor has offered to re-do to make it a bit shorter if I want.

Am I splitting hairs? Should I just leave it as is? I suppose it's also a winter/autumn fabric, and could be okay a touch longer, as I may wear a sweater underneath one day..

View attachment 1285555 View attachment 1285556
View attachment 1285560
I would also go a little shorter.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks for help
Sorry don’t really have a solution to your specific problem but I feel like I have seen many of these Luxire pants and they always seem to lack the proper fit. Would be curious if anyone here has nicely fitting luxire pants (most likely not posted here)? I understand budget constraints or just not wanting to spend a bunch of money on pants but if concerned about fit maybe go to a proper local tailor and get some pants made...

also I would suggest to post pics with shoes you want to wear. But frankly the back is an absolute mess... maybe others have suggestions to fix it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads