• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

MSpence

Reaction score
Recently purchased a Samuelsohn 38R Suit OTR for my wedding this fall, I was planning on taking it to a local tailor this week to get his opinion on fit and alterations but wanted to ask here as well. I am 5'8" 160lb with a relatively athletic build. I was wondering if you guys thought this suit fit well and is worth altering or if I needed a different brand/fit. The jacket feels good other than the sleeves being too long. Thanks for your help.
IMG_20190311_205405.jpg
IMG_20190311_205411.jpg
IMG_20190311_205417.jpg
IMG_20190311_205423.jpg

Last edited:

Aloysius16

Reaction score
What might cause the ‘ridge’ around the base of the collar seen on this shirt? I have the problem with one particular mtm brand and don’t know what to request to resolve it (changing shoulder slope hasn’t helped, and adjusting for forward shoulder makes it worse still).

FA0674D2-4E44-4B82-A721-86F3F41ACDF5.jpeg

zabo358

Reaction score
I just recently had 10 custom shirts made by a local tailor. I am very happy with the overal fit, however my only concern is the cuff width. Is this to wide and does the cuff fall too far down my hand?

F0DAA057-91F1-474F-9762-E8D548959F86.jpeg

AC3FAB85-F8DD-4062-95A3-A474E3D9CA00.jpeg

400FBF25-E94B-493A-AE6E-DD670C661027.jpeg

84C1819E-570F-4641-93B4-2F1FE7BDDF5A.jpeg

6E5889C3-DDB3-435D-889A-30CFB19492BC.jpeg

sebflynn

Reaction score

zabo358

Reaction score
The arms look far too long it's hard to say that they're too wide when they're down by your thumb.
Really you think they are too long? Here’s a photo with my arms by my sides, do you still feel the same way? I moved the button to far end of the open stitch so it closed the gap a tad.

9A0C34DE-FFEA-4545-88EC-03FF1F34F0AE.jpeg

papado

Reaction score
Recently purchased a Samuelsohn 38R Suit OTR for my wedding this fall, I was planning on taking it to a local tailor this week to get his opinion on fit and alterations but wanted to ask here as well. I am 5'8" 160lb with a relatively athletic build. I was wondering if you guys thought this suit fit well and is worth altering or if I needed a different brand/fit. The jacket feels good other than the sleeves being too long. Thanks for your help. View attachment 1143044 View attachment 1143045 View attachment 1143046 View attachment 1143047

It looks really solid--for the jacket you'll need to shorten sleeves (obviously) and also fix the collar roll. There doesn't appear to be much if any room in the side seams to shape the jacket more but I think it looks good as is. Trouser just need a hem as well; don't look to wide or anything.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really you think they are too long? Here’s a photo with my arms by my sides, do you still feel the same way? I moved the button to far end of the open stitch so it closed the gap a tad.

View attachment 1143549

I think the sleeve length looks pretty close, maybe just a tad long. However, before you go have them shortened, I would highly advise gently laundering and hang drying each shirt several times. Assuming they are cotton, the shirts will experience some natural shrinkage, and best to let that process happen before alterations.

In one of your first photos with your arm bent holding up your phone, it's evident that there is not that much extra length in the sleeves, as the cuff is pulling back a bit from your hand. Allan Flusser's guideline states that shirt sleeves should be with enough extra length such that the cuffs do not pull back at all from the hand when the arm is extended, and that the cuff should be set at a circumference that will not allow it to fit over the base of the palm when the arms are hanging straight down, such that the cuffs rest on the very top of the first thumb bone - essentially as your cuffs are doing in this last photo.

Of course, the variables come into play when wear a sport coat or suit jacket, as every jacket fits slightly differently (maybe unless all your jackets are true bespoke). There is also a personal preference of how much shirt cuff you like exposed from a jacket sleeve cuff. To generalize broadly, I think far too many men wear their suit and sport coat jacket sleeves too long.

sebflynn

Reaction score
I just handed the jacket to my (new) tailor, he's nipping the waist and sorting out the back seam the role on the back of the neck he concluded was from the lapel not from a tight back, I have asked him to let the back shoulders out through as I do think that will solve the dents in the sleeve. Will post pictures once I get it back.

Last edited:

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just handed the jacket to my tailor, he's nipping the waist and sorting out the back seam the role on the back of the neck he concluded was from the lapel not from a tight back, I have asked him to let the back shoulders out through so as I do think that will solve the dents in the sleeve. Will post pictures once I get it back.

:lurk:

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greetings! I could use some help on selecting buttons…
X-post…
I could use some help. I have two DB linen suits about 5 years old, both with white mop buttons that I’d like to switch out for something a little more wearable. For the light blue, I was thinking a mottled Horn like these:
View attachment 1144311

For the navy, I’m at a loss. I’ve got a navy linen SB suit with smoke mop which I like, but for this I think I want something different. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

sebflynn

Reaction score
The whole suit looks pretty off, the sleeves obviously need to be done as do the trousers need to be hemmed these are standard but the trousers look like they're giving you a wedgie, there is tightness across the back a roll behind the collar and the jacket in my opinion is about an 1/2-1 inch too long.
It's allot of work for a new suit, I would only consider a suit this far gone if you got it at a silly good price.
Recently purchased a Samuelsohn 38R Suit OTR for my wedding this fall, I was planning on taking it to a local tailor this week to get his opinion on fit and alterations but wanted to ask here as well. I am 5'8" 160lb with a relatively athletic build. I was wondering if you guys thought this suit fit well and is worth altering or if I needed a different brand/fit. The jacket feels good other than the sleeves being too long. Thanks for your help. View attachment 1143044 View attachment 1143045 View attachment 1143046 View attachment 1143047

gianm

Reaction score
Picked up a RTW linen suit from S&M. Looking for a fit critique to decide if I keep it. Excuse the tie knot. Trousers are unhemmed. I have uneven shoulders.

Current concerns are jacket and sleeve length (touch long) and a slightly low buttoning position.

MVIMG_20190315_215258-01.jpeg

IMG_20190315_215320-01.jpeg

IMG_20190315_215309-01.jpeg

IMG_20190315_173731-01.jpeg

Aloysius16

Reaction score
It actually looks pretty close to perfect to my eyes. Back, shoulders and sleeves are very clean. The sleeves should be shortened by maybe 2cm but that’s pretty standard with OTR. The body length of the jacket and button position looks close to ideal for a classic length and is what I would like to get for myself. If you want a trendier fit you could choose the same size in a shorter fit (assuming this isn’t already an S) which will ‘likely be about 2cm shorter and the correct fit on your sleeves without needing alteration.

The only possible issue is that the vents might kick out when you remove the basting stitches. I don’t know whether this would be due to tightness over your protruding seat or if it is caused by the back length.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Trouser trouble...

I had some trousers made recently which are a good fit, in no way tight, when I stand upright but are uncomfortable when I sit. I have had the crotch let out which has slightly reduced the tightness in that area when seated but the main problem seems to be tightness across the seat. When I go to sit it feels like the trousers will split along the centre back seam around the height of the back pocket openings. The waistband digs in at the front and gapes at the back.

Is there anything I can do about this? If I let the seat out along the centre back seam the seat will just look baggy when I am standing. Or is the problem really about the angle/shape of the seat seam curve? In which case is this something that cannot be altered at all (only at the cutting stage)? I have a flat seat and the trousers were cut quite straight as a result - perhaps too straight.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads