• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Purely comfort. Waist expands slightly after meals and when seated down.

Side adjuster allows you to keep it just tight enough (1/4” left+right).

Although it’s always a little unsightly to adjust them.

I don’t have much of a belly, just curious of your opinion.
Have no opinion on this. It's totally subjective and personal preference.
Either fit the trouser to be comfortable when sitting or bloated or for the times your not.

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
Lower back is awful. Is it due to excessive waist suppression?

Attachments

• IMG_20221127_145938__01.jpg
    IMG_20221127_145938__01.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 120

Baked Potato

Reaction score
How's the length of this jacket, according to you guys? Unfortunately, I didn't take any more photos. Would love to show the back part too. Does it look well in the front overall? Also, I went with "regular" lapels this time. The wide option is about 1,5cm wider. Would that be too much for me, as I have a rather small frame?

IMG_6413.jpg

willyto

Reaction score
Lower back is awful. Is it due to excessive waist suppression?
Can't say much on the jacket apart from it being a bit short but I believe you would benefit from narrower turn ups.They seem to be way over 5cm and it doesn' look balanced.

MaE

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just got this SC from the Armoury and well… the overall fit isn’t bad, maybe there’s some excess fabric in the chest area (it’s a Model 11 and is supposed to be an homage to the American sack cut and therefore shouldn’t be too slim) but the collar and lapels are “meh”. What do you guys think? Is the whole balance off or is there something that can be done by my local tailor to fix the gap and the lapels that aren’t leads hugging my chest like they should?

If you need extra pictures just let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I’ve contacted the Armoury as well and they might also give me some advice in the near future

812C4D7C-5B77-4033-98BB-A4CCEF6E0C12.jpeg A10F2EF3-314A-4B85-8042-25E59254DE60.jpeg 8496028A-9611-4F80-8848-C8C53C09A55F.jpeg 2E7A63F8-EFC3-435B-876A-B13B10F4F3B0.jpeg

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

BB_Adept

Reaction score
Sport coats/coats always restrict my front deltoid when elevating my arm.
This happens even when the shoulders fit well in the back and when I have enough room around the chest. Sizing up would make the chest and shoulders too big but offer more room around this area I guess.

Is this a problem that can be fixed by a tailor ? I cannot quite pin down where the issue is. The restrictions are felt directly above the seem of the armhole ans above the pars clavicularis deltoidei.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and solutions :)

Camillo

Reaction score
A known method to accommodate bigger calves is to make the rear panels of a trousers bigger/wider than the front ones. Could someone (@Despos ?) explain the technicalities of this process? I assume this also affects the way the legs fit over the shoes, so that the fabric isn't pulled to the back. What will happen, if the difference between the front and back panels will increase? Will it make for a nicer/cleaner leg line?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just got this SC from the Armoury and well… the overall fit isn’t bad, maybe there’s some excess fabric in the chest area (it’s a Model 11 and is supposed to be an homage to the American sack cut and therefore shouldn’t be too slim) but the collar and lapels are “meh”. What do you guys think? Is the whole balance off or is there something that can be done by my local tailor to fix the gap and the lapels that aren’t leads hugging my chest like they should?

If you need extra pictures just let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I’ve contacted the Armoury as well and they might also give me some advice in the near future

View attachment 1861729 View attachment 1861730 View attachment 1861731 View attachment 1861732
Could be that your shoulders are a bit square and the jacket shoulder slope is greater than your actual shoulder slope. This would cause the lapel to lift off the chest and create a gap.
Can't be sure from these pictures.

Reactions: MaE

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Quick questions for the professionals here:

Is it possible to convert Patch Pockets to JettedPockets?
Depends if there is a wedge cut out under the patch pocket. If so, you have to make the pocket on this cut and the position might be too low, close to the hem and look odd.
Have to use the cloth of the patch pockets to make 4 pipes and two facings.
Unless you have the same cloth.

Then you have to find someone who will/wants to do a job like this

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A known method to accommodate bigger calves is to make the rear panels of a trousers bigger/wider than the front ones. Could someone (@Despos ?) explain the technicalities of this process? I assume this also affects the way the legs fit over the shoes, so that the fabric isn't pulled to the back. What will happen, if the difference between the front and back panels will increase? Will it make for a nicer/cleaner leg line?
increase the width at the knee and taper to the thigh and to the hem.
Increase the circumference at the hem if necessary.
Nothing happens when you increase the front or back panels.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sport coats/coats always restrict my front deltoid when elevating my arm.
This happens even when the shoulders fit well in the back and when I have enough room around the chest. Sizing up would make the chest and shoulders too big but offer more room around this area I guess.

Is this a problem that can be fixed by a tailor ? I cannot quite pin down where the issue is. The restrictions are felt directly above the seem of the armhole ans above the pars clavicularis deltoidei.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and solutions :)
Too complicated/general of a question to answer without seeing something specific to analyze.

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
Too tight. Can barely walk. Every step feels restricted. Diagonal lines from front knees to rear of trousers.

It is the back rise at the crotch that needs to be increased, right?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220909-202751.jpg
    Screenshot_20220909-202751.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20221127_145533__01.jpg
    IMG_20221127_145533__01.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Too tight. Can barely walk. Every step feels restricted. Diagonal lines from front knees to rear of trousers.

It is the back rise at the crotch that needs to be increased, right?

would be interested in tailor views on this as I have faced this issue and alterations have not helped. I think it needs more curvature through the seat seam. I had repeat orders from Luxire with this issue and adjustments could not resolve as the problem was baked into their pattern more fundamentally.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads