• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

gavspen

Reaction score
Do you mean that it measures 23.5" from pit to pit, and that your chest measures 40.5?

How are the shoulders? Are they where you normally like them? A little extended? This could be a bigger issue than the chest, assuming the chest can feasibly be done.
Yes, measures 23.5 and I'm about 40.5. Shoulders a little wide but doable.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, measures 23.5 and I'm about 40.5. Shoulders a little wide but doable.
I'm assuming somewhere around 22" across is what you'd normally like? I'd say it might be worth a shot, but it depends on a number of things. One is how much you're willing to gamble on the experiment, assuming you have other options (return it, not buy it in the first place, readily find something closer to begin with, etc.). And of course, the capability of your tailor.

I can tell you that I've had decent luck in a similar situation. I had the luxury of having access to competent and highly affordable tailors, in Southeast Asia, and nothing really to lose, as they were jackets I 'shrank' out of and wouldn't have had much use for anyway. When it worked, it worked surprisingly well. When it didn't, it was because I got some kind of weird pulling in the upper arm or armhole.

I suppose one hard boundary on how much you could take in has to do with the breast pocket, depending on how the tailor would go about it.

gavspen

Reaction score
I'm assuming somewhere around 22" across is what you'd normally like? I'd say it might be worth a shot, but it depends on a number of things. One is how much you're willing to gamble on the experiment, assuming you have other options (return it, not buy it in the first place, readily find something closer to begin with, etc.). And of course, the capability of your tailor.

I can tell you that I've had decent luck in a similar situation. I had the luxury of having access to competent and highly affordable tailors, in Southeast Asia, and nothing really to lose, as they were jackets I 'shrank' out of and wouldn't have had much use for anyway. When it worked, it worked surprisingly well. When it didn't, it was because I got some kind of weird pulling in the upper arm or armhole.

I suppose one hard boundary on how much you could take in has to do with the breast pocket, depending on how the tailor would go about it.
Thanks for your thoughts. I guess the thing to do is find a tailor I trust and ask him. The guy I used for years....very good...retired and I haven’t found a replacement.

'patanoster

Reaction score
Hello all, interested in any feedback on this MTM suit. I think stylewise there are a few things I would change were I to do it again (a bit of shoulder, lined not unlined, smaller lapels :rolleyes:) but any comments on the fit? In my relatively uneducated POV the front looks good, but there is some crumpling on the legs around the seat and the underarm front and back looks a little… baggy?
Things in scope: fit
Things out of scope: scrappy hair, scrappy beard, untidy living room
8EE8A19F-2847-43E2-B4DD-D63B773A79EF.jpeg

A2444F36-1EFC-4A75-97B9-4D867EC7AE92.jpeg

21FC91F3-EAE8-46DB-A43E-A352436EB288.jpeg

driving glove

Reaction score
In the photos, it looks like your hips are thrust forward. Is that your habitual posture? If so, the front of your next jacket may benefit from a bit more length to improve the front/back balance.
In the lateral view it looks like your arm may hang a bit straighter than the existing sleeve pitch of the jacket.
I think a shot from the front and back, of the jacket buttoned would also be helpful in assessing fit.
BTW, I am certainly no tailor, I just drink with one when I get the opportunity......

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can you also post a pic with the jacket buttoned?

'patanoster

Reaction score
In the photos, it looks like your hips are thrust forward. Is that your habitual posture? If so, the front of your next jacket may benefit from a bit more length to improve the front/back balance.
In the lateral view it looks like your arm may hang a bit straighter than the existing sleeve pitch of the jacket.
I think a shot from the front and back, of the jacket buttoned would also be helpful in assessing fit.
BTW, I am certainly no tailor, I just drink with one when I get the opportunity......
Can you also post a pic with the jacket buttoned?

I think hips forward is my standard standing position, yes, though its hard to figure out what natural is when thinking about it. I feel like the more I look the more it highlights my wonkiness and weird posture….

thanks both, here are pics with buttons done up. Lost the tie, hairtie and light during the working day.

783CD654-EF08-497B-919C-8CD7206F0FF6.jpeg

1B1CC242-07BC-413B-B1AE-1EF2A6CDDB7C.jpeg

driving glove

Reaction score
Personally I would like at least another inch of length in the jacket, another inch in the chest, and to change the paddock jacket button configuration to 3 roll two with a lapel that wide.

'patanoster

Reaction score
Personally I would like at least another inch of length in the jacket, another inch in the chest, and to change the paddock jacket button configuration to 3 roll two with a lapel that wide.

thanks, yeah ultimately i think I’d get a slightly less wide lapel looking at it now, but we live with our mistakes. Why do you say another inch in the chest out of interest — is it that slight pulling around the button?
I also wondered about bringing the jacket waist in slightly, which I decided against at the time of make

Chronic_Zero

Reaction score
I wonder what everyone thinks of this second fitting for a bespoke polo coat in Harris tweed. I asked for the back vent to overlap more so to stick out less. It’s quite full on the upper back but that’s intended to aid freedom of movement. The collar canvas will also be cut to be the same length as the lapel.

Anything else you’d point out?

It’s missing a belt on the back of course.

18B15549-F493-4D90-96D2-A0DAB86D3987.jpeg

535D392D-BE67-4808-B8BF-57A45856E050.jpeg

50E15F59-BA6E-4FE9-AF06-FB7318539DB8.jpeg

Attachments

• DB4BC06C-F6A2-42EE-8976-9BCA0C8E71C7.jpeg
    DB4BC06C-F6A2-42EE-8976-9BCA0C8E71C7.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 75

driving glove

Reaction score
thanks, yeah ultimately i think I’d get a slightly less wide lapel looking at it now, but we live with our mistakes. Why do you say another inch in the chest out of interest — is it that slight pulling around the button?
I also wondered about bringing the jacket waist in slightly, which I decided against at the time of make
I would not cinch in the waist more but think more volume in the chest to eliminate the button pull will give you a more flattering outline. In a recent posting, Simon Crompton of Permanent Style has some comments about how he has chosen a different cut for his jackets over time, that may be applicable to your reflections.

aabbcc

Reaction score
Hi, I have a un-proportionally big buttocks compared with my waist, this makes it so barely any trousers RTW trousers fit properly, so I thought I'd thought I give Suitsupplys MTM/MTO or whater its called service a try since my other trousers have a tendency to cut into my crotch or be super tight across the buttocks.

My waist is approximately 20cm smaller than my buttocks and I usually wear size 44, I asked if they should start from a size 46 instead and was advised not to. They made the crotch area as large as they could as well as adding a crotch piece. Yet trousers really does not fit well imo and just looks weird.

I summon the almighyt Despos, please tell me why they wont fit, what the issue is and going forward, and what I need from a MTM trouser to fit me. Like, what alterations needs doing?
PXL_20211118_202752480.MP.jpg

PXL_20211118_202810155.jpg

PXL_20211118_202826114.jpg

PXL_20211118_202927549.jpg

PXL_20211118_202933731.jpg

Last edited:

Shetterd

Reaction score
I wonder what everyone thinks of this second fitting for a bespoke polo coat in Harris tweed. I asked for the back vent to overlap more so to stick out less. It’s quite full on the upper back but that’s intended to aid freedom of movement. The collar canvas will also be cut to be the same length as the lapel.

Anything else you’d point out?

It’s missing a belt on the back of course.
Maybe try the bespoke projects thread?

Shetterd

Reaction score
I think hips forward is my standard standing position, yes, though its hard to figure out what natural is when thinking about it. I feel like the more I look the more it highlights my wonkiness and weird posture….

thanks both, here are pics with buttons done up. Lost the tie, hairtie and light during the working day.

If that is possible in the system you are using I would try and lower the buttoning point a bit.

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
Just bought the Ready to Wear Dugdale Grey Wool Gurkha Pants in the size 33 waist & 29 Inseam from Luxire. The fit is atrocious and it is obvious the pants are too tight. My questions:

1. Is there anything at all right with the pants? Rise etc. ?
2. Any suggestions for what I should do for my next step?
3. Should I just try bespoke instead?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 102

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads