• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Hfriend25

Reaction score
Hi, I just received this Linen MTM suit from Collaro. I've had a few pairs of trousers from them and am pretty happy with the fit at this point. It is however the first jacket that I've had from them and I think, whilst it's pretty good for a first go, especially considering it's all been done remotely, but could be improved.

Please let me know any alterations you think are necessary for this jacket and to my pattern for possible future commissions.

Thank you,

Henry
Collaro suit front.jpeg
Collaro suit rear.jpeg
Collaro suit side 1.jpeg

vim147

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience of getting polo shirts hemmed ?

I have a few Ralph Lauren polo shirts that needs shortening 2-3 inches from the bottom.

How much can i expect to pay ? Am assuming the correct machine they would use is a overstitch machine ?

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I would love some advice. I just ordered a MTO jacket from S&M. I ordered it to look exactly like this jacket, except on my MTO jacket, the sleeves have surgeon/functional cuffs and are .25" inches shorter. Do you guys think that is enough or should I have gone to .50" inches?

View attachment 1668040
Sleeves look good here your shirt sleeves are a bit short in my opinion. .5 inch shorter than this is too much.

Litigation Cures All

Reaction score
Bespoke suit from Will Field of Field English Custom Tailors in Washington, D.C. I put on 5 pounds over quarantine and am wondering if I should have it let out at all. Curious as to any other fit feedback.

Attachments

• B77AF449-7F1E-4F04-93A2-AE630F25D7F8.jpeg
    B77AF449-7F1E-4F04-93A2-AE630F25D7F8.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 112
  • FC077BA6-A206-4CB1-8EF1-D904F886DBF6.jpeg
    FC077BA6-A206-4CB1-8EF1-D904F886DBF6.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 9B102B50-8156-4291-9BDF-D255FCC8173C.jpeg
    9B102B50-8156-4291-9BDF-D255FCC8173C.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 152

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Hi, I just received this Linen MTM suit from Collaro. I've had a few pairs of trousers from them and am pretty happy with the fit at this point. It is however the first jacket that I've had from them and I think, whilst it's pretty good for a first go, especially considering it's all been done remotely, but could be improved.

Please let me know any alterations you think are necessary for this jacket and to my pattern for possible future commissions.

Thank you,

Henry View attachment 1669978 View attachment 1669980 View attachment 1669982

please note I am not a tailor so listen to others on those issues, but just wanted to add that it looks a remarkably good fit for an online process first attempt. All the main attributes of the jacket seem to be in good order - especially shoulder fit, balance and sleeve pitch. The only clear issue - and one that should be easily remedied - is that the waist/hips looks tight and I suspect the vents will not lie flat when you open them up. So you will want to let this area out. The only problem is if the tightness is around the hips - lower than the side seams - and needs more surgery.

the only other suggestion I had was whether the sleeves might be a little too narrow, especially for linen, but that’s down to your comfort and aesthetic I guess.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thank you,

Henry View attachment 1669978 View attachment 1669980 View attachment 1669982
All looks good.
You aren't wearing shoes so I'm guessing but I would make the trouser length longer. My preference is to sit on top of the shoe. Not sure without seeing a proper shoe. I am sure you need to lengthen the right leg. It is shorter than the left and even more so in the back.
Easy to make both legs the same length.
The way the back falls in at the waist is due to "sway back" posture. Not sure I would fool with it. If you are comfortable, keep everything as is.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bespoke suit from Will Field of Field English Custom Tailors in Washington, D.C. I put on 5 pounds over quarantine and am wondering if I should have it let out at all. Curious as to any other fit feedback.
If you like to "feel" the jacket hug you and think the 5lbs will come off, don't do anything.

The waist suppression across the back looks a touch exaggerated.

You could have the sides let out a bit on each side and still have a nice shape.

Last edited:

Hfriend25

Reaction score
please note I am not a tailor so listen to others on those issues, but just wanted to add that it looks a remarkably good fit for an online process first attempt. All the main attributes of the jacket seem to be in good order - especially shoulder fit, balance and sleeve pitch. The only clear issue - and one that should be easily remedied - is that the waist/hips looks tight and I suspect the vents will not lie flat when you open them up. So you will want to let this area out. The only problem is if the tightness is around the hips - lower than the side seams - and needs more surgery.

the only other suggestion I had was whether the sleeves might be a little too narrow, especially for linen, but that’s down to your comfort and aesthetic I guess.

Thank you for your time and comments. I agree with the thoughts around the waist, although I am not sure of the solution. I have quite a lot of space around the waist on the jacket and actually wouldn't mind a little more waist suppression when looking at it from the front. It does however bunch up across my lower back, so perhaps needs to be let out lower across the hips.

I'm also not 100% happy about some collapsing under my right arm on the front - due to my droped shoulder.

Hfriend25

Reaction score
All looks good.
You aren't wearing shoes so I'm guessing but I would make the trouser length longer. My preference is to sit on top of the shoe. Not sure without seeing a proper shoe. I am sure you need to lengthen the right leg. It is shorter than the left and even more so in the back.
Easy to make both legs the same length.
The way the back falls in at the waist is due to "sway back" posture. Not sure I would fool with it. If you are comfortable, keep everything as is.

Yeah the choice of footwear doesn't help but I was pretty happy with the trousers at this point as the measurements were based of previous pairs. I think I actually have them pulled up higher then wear they sit in reality and I prefer no break. But it is something I will bear in mind as I wear them more.

With regards to the back I would prefer it to drape cleaner without bunching but agree it could be difficult to achieve with my hollow lower back and posture. Not sure if it can be easily fixed and messing around with it too much probably isn't worth it.

Thank you for your feedback.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Thank you for your time and comments. I agree with the thoughts around the waist, although I am not sure of the solution. I have quite a lot of space around the waist on the jacket and actually wouldn't mind a little more waist suppression when looking at it from the front. It does however bunch up across my lower back, so perhaps needs to be let out lower across the hips.

I'm also not 100% happy about some collapsing under my right arm on the front - due to my droped shoulder.

i would refer to Despos’ expert knowledge on this, diagnosing the issue as being due to your sway back posture rather than a tight waist. I’m not sure this can be addressed by alteration straightforwardly but the suit looks very good overall.

Last edited:

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not to be a d*** but why not get a off the rack suit if the bespoke result look like this ? if this is your 1st attempt I would understand but the pants and jack seem very messy in the back - but god knows I had my own fair share of questionable results... hope you can get it fixed.

Marshak

Reaction score
Hi guys,

The question must have been asked on the thread: is it possible to lower the button stance on a jacket (a 3r2 model)? From my neophyte point of view it seems impossible or at least perilous. @Despos lights are welcome.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

The question must have been asked on the thread: is it possible to lower the button stance on a jacket (a 3r2 model)? From my neophyte point of view it seems impossible or at least perilous. @Despos lights are welcome.
You cannot change the button stance after the buttonholes are cut (how do you move a buttonhole?).

Reaction score
Deciding whether I should keep this sportcoat. There's a noticeable divot under my right pec (the mirror pic is the more faithful one) which is most likely not worth fixing on a sub-300 euro jacket. The shoulder divot is caused by an awkward arm position and is not an issue, for me at least.
Thoughts? IMG_20210922_190109202~2.jpg IMG_20210922_190522483~2.jpg

zr3rs

Reaction score
I would not worry. It is only noticeable in robopose anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics