• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any chance a tailor can make These fit?
I ordered a 54 regular length from natalino. The other pair was too big around the waist and it looked like i Was wearing diapers.
Does the fit (high rise) not suit me, or should i habe gone for a 52 instead?
I feel like s smaller size would be too small around the thigh though.
Its so hard to order trousers online
Stick with this size and cut. Trousers are sold by waist size but finding a pair that fits should be about the seat size. These fit you. Seat and thigh have the least amount of outlet if they are too tight and have a limit of how much can be reduced if they are too big. The waist can usually be adjusted + or - up to 2" and not throw things out of whack.
If you want something adjusted on this pair, find a tailor and discuss with him/her. Do this because they are seeing them on you which is more accurate than judging online pictures. You may only need them shortened.

If this is an experiment with a higher rise and pleats; wear them for a while so the fit becomes more familiar and you adapt to these. Don't be hasty in making a decision. Had an experience with a new client about a decade ago. Made him a suit and it felt so different than what he had been wearing he didn't know what to think about it. He was conditioned to the feel/look of all his previous suits. He came back in two months and said he couldn't wear the older suits anymore since he adjusted to the fit of my suit. It took some time of wearing/living in the suit day to day to realize the fit was more comfortable to wear.

Could also go the other way and you may not care for the way these fit. Point is, give it some time until you know what you like.

Last edited:

LakoElpann

Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first MTM jacket. I got it in October and since then have grown increasingly dissatisfied with it. The tailor specializes in drape cuts which is what I wanted but the final product does not look at all like any others I have seen. My main issues are:
1 - the pinching and borderline horizontal 'stripe' at the buttoning point. Too small? I gained no weight between fittings
2 - the strong creasing on the arms. It is Harris tweed and I expected little to no wrinkling due to the properties of the fabric. These wrinkles showed up the first time I wore the jacket and I have never been able to get them out.
3 - the bagginess in the upper back arms, over the triceps.
4 - the overall shape and profile. I am not overweight and lift and exercise regularly. The profile from the rear looks alright but the front is dumpy at best.

Please let me know if there are any other issues you spot and how many of them are due to the nature of drape cuts or possibly poor tailoring, also how much is fixable. I have taken to wearing it unbuttoned because it looks so off.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give, this situation has been very disappointing.
View attachment 1540781 View attachment 1540782 View attachment 1540783 View attachment 1540784 View attachment 1540785

IANAT, but one thing that strikes me apart from the creasing issues you listed yourself, is that the front of the jacket is very short. The back of the jacket seems to just cover your bottom, but, as most apparent in your third photo, the jacket front length seems substantially shorter, yielding a somewhat comical appearance.

If you were in fact aiming for a shorter look, which seems antithetical to your comment on aiming for a draped cut, Ask Andy About Clothes has an article on what such jackets can look like. The side view of the garment in his piece shows a jacket that has an equally long back and front, resulting in a much more balanced look. If you weren't aiming for such a short jacket, you may want to talk things over with your tailor though.

CorozoButton

Reaction score
Bit of a novice question, but what do we think the cause of the tiny bit of rumpling at the top of the back is:
1611496358938.png

My best, albeit highly uneducated guess is that it's too low to be collar roll, so it's just straining a little from being a tiny bit too tight. Maybe letting out 5mm or so from the centre back seam would help?

BB_Adept

Reaction score
Stick with this size and cut. Trousers are sold by waist size but finding a pair that fits should be about the seat size. These fit you. Seat and thigh have the least amount of outlet if they are too tight and have a limit of how much can be reduced if they are too big. The waist can usually be adjusted + or - up to 2" and not throw things out of whack.
If you want something adjusted on this pair, find a tailor and discuss with him/her. Do this because they are seeing them on you which is more accurate than judging online pictures. You may only need them shortened.

If this is an experiment with a higher rise and pleats; wear them for a while so the fit becomes more familiar and you adapt to these. Don't be hasty in making a decision. Had an experience with a new client about a decade ago. Made him a suit and it felt so different than what he had been wearing he didn't know what to think about it. He was conditioned to the feel/look of all his previous suits. He came back in two months and said he couldn't wear the older suits anymore since he adjusted to the fit of my suit. It took some time of wearing/living in the suit day to day to realize the fit was more comfortable to wear.

Could also go the other way and you may not care for the way these fit. Point is, give it some time until you know what you like.

I ordered these online, so i could still return them. They are far too long, so if i have them shortened, i would not be able to return them. To be honest i did not expect anyone to give me the advice to keep them :-D .

What i was looking for was a kind of pants like the ones described in styleforums trousers guide. They show some examples of trousers made by Dylan and Son which look great. The one i showed above is not what i was looking for (i actually ordered 3 pairs, but 2 do not fit at all, do not even need to show pictures).
I think i will just return them and send an inquiry to dylan and son.
Since i cannot wear off the rack i will have to get something custom made.
Can you guys recommend a good online tailor?
I recently read about a person in this very forum offering zoom tailoring but i cannot find the post anymore.

Last edited:

Shetterd

Reaction score
I ordered this Berg & Berg jacket and am wondering if it is a keeper! The collar needs to be lowered, sleeves shortened, and waist taken in just a touch. And maybe the one sleeve rotated? Would be curious to hear what you guys think.

Attachments

• photo_2021-01-23_17-56-27.jpg
    photo_2021-01-23_17-56-27.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 81
  • photo_2021-01-23_17-56-29.jpg
    photo_2021-01-23_17-56-29.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 68
  • photo_2021-01-23_17-56-34.jpg
    photo_2021-01-23_17-56-34.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 76
  • photo_2021-01-23_17-57-03.jpg
    photo_2021-01-23_17-57-03.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 82

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bit of a novice question, but what do we think the cause of the tiny bit of rumpling at the top of the back is:
View attachment 1541922
My best, albeit highly uneducated guess is that it's too low to be collar roll, so it's just straining a little from being a tiny bit too tight. Maybe letting out 5mm or so from the centre back seam would help?
from tension across your blades. Have posted best remedy for this several times in this thread. Should be easy to find. Pros and cons of letting out the center back seam. Could make it worse

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I ordered these online, so i could still return them. They are far too long, so if i have them shortened, i would not be able to return them. To be honest i did not expect anyone to give me the advice to keep them :-D .

What i was looking for was a kind of pants like the ones described in styleforums trousers guide. They show some examples of trousers made by Dylan and Son which look great. The one i showed above is not what i was looking for (i actually ordered 3 pairs, but 2 do not fit at all, do not even need to show pictures).
I think i will just return them and send an inquiry to dylan and son.
Since i cannot wear off the rack i will have to get something custom made.
Can you guys recommend a good online tailor?
I recently read about a person in this very forum offering zoom tailoring but i cannot find the post anymore.
Ask something specific about the trouser you posted. What do you like or don't like about this trouser?
They really don't fit that bad. You would be lucky getting a better fit than these ordering online. If you follow the online trouser orders in threads like this you can see what the issues are. Usually takes several orders to get close. Do you have a tailor in your city you could visit?
If you see a trouser profile in a picture and are trying to achieve the same look, it doesn't always work. To get a good fitting trouser is to match the cut/balance/proportions to your body type. your body type is the major influence of how the trouser looks. Some trousers will compliment you and others won't. Using a tailor is adapting the pattern or making one for your body type.
One issue I see is you have a high left hip, causing these trousers to collapse on the right side.
The seat is a little snug and the crotch could be let out but depending on the cloth they might stretch form wear enough and not need altering.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I ordered this Berg & Berg jacket and am wondering if it is a keeper! The collar needs to be lowered, sleeves shortened, and waist taken in just a touch. And maybe the one sleeve rotated? Would be curious to hear what you guys think.
Yeah, doing those adjustments will make the jacket fit better

BonghitzMcGee

Reaction score
Had posted a thread about this sport coat and then saw this thread, hoping for some feedback/advice.
Took a chance on a sport coat I liked on eBay, a size smaller than normal... now second guessing myself.

It's not tight or uncomfortable, I've found the J Crew Ludlow to be the style and fit that works best for me and my price range, usually I buy a 38s and have it taken in slightly, this is a 36s and feels nice. I decided to give it a try (sizing down) based on the dimensions given in the listing.

At first I was concerned about the length, but now looking at the photo of the back I'm curious about the wrinkles, whether that has to do with sizing or other variables (shirt fits a bit loose so a little extra fabric in the back, and the jacket is unlined silk/linen blend so very little structure to it.)

Would appreciate a second (or third) set of eyes... do I keep or re-list?

Attachments

• IMG_8532.JPG
    IMG_8532.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8512.JPG
    IMG_8512.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_8522.JPG
    IMG_8522.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 59

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Had posted a thread about this sport coat and then saw this thread, hoping for some feedback/advice.
Took a chance on a sport coat I liked on eBay, a size smaller than normal... now second guessing myself.

It's not tight or uncomfortable, I've found the J Crew Ludlow to be the style and fit that works best for me and my price range, usually I buy a 38s and have it taken in slightly, this is a 36s and feels nice. I decided to give it a try (sizing down) based on the dimensions given in the listing.

At first I was concerned about the length, but now looking at the photo of the back I'm curious about the wrinkles, whether that has to do with sizing or other variables (shirt fits a bit loose so a little extra fabric in the back, and the jacket is unlined silk/linen blend so very little structure to it.)

Would appreciate a second (or third) set of eyes... do I keep or re-list?
From the back view looks like reshaping the side seams would correct this. Raise the waist line, let out at top of the hip and the jacket would drape better.
From the side view it looks like a balance issue. Long back and the fronts are hiking up. Could be altered by dropping the back an inch or more but the plaid wouldn’t match on the side seams if you do this, so that’s not an option. Could also be adjusted by shortening the back from the top and recutting the shoulder. Takes a better tailor and more money and the cost may not be worth it.
Keep it if you love it, pass on it if you don’t. See a tailor for a second opinion.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics