• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
does the jacket feel snug just below the armhole on the back?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does the jacket feel snug just below the armhole on the back?
@Despos it does, but not really much more than usual. OTR for my shape is usually hard to match and I usually end up with snug chest/shoulders/back. I can take more pictures if that would help?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Every RTW jacket is different and some will be a better fit than others for your proportions.
Long time ago I would go to Neiman Marcus and try on every brand jacket they carried to see how they felt and looked. Of all the brands only Brioni had the correct balance and required the least adjustments for me. Only needed to correct for my low shoulder.
Not suggesting you wear Brioni. Point is, finding a brand that works for your body type and posture is essential and reduces your alteration needs.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every RTW jacket is different and some will be a better fit than others for your proportions.
Long time ago I would go to Neiman Marcus and try on every brand jacket they carried to see how they felt and looked. Of all the brands only Brioni had the correct balance and required the least adjustments for me. Only needed to correct for my low shoulder.
Not suggesting you wear Brioni. Point is, finding a brand that works for your body type and posture is essential and reduces your alteration needs.

Thanks again. Kind of driving me nuts knowing they're all jacked up in my closet but the tailor is closed for the foreseeable future. Hopefully it won't take much to make them wearable.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks again. Kind of driving me nuts knowing they're all jacked up in my closet but the tailor is closed for the foreseeable future. Hopefully it won't take much to make them wearable.
Are you wearing suits at home?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you wearing suits at home?

I haven't reached that point of insanity yet, but am getting close. However, with not much to do the mind wanders and things I can do or fix with my wardrobe have been top of mind @Despos

Last edited:

drewby

Reaction score
Hey guys, navy suit shoulder question here. This is my first suit. Can't bring this to a tailor cuz COVID-19, so need to know if the shoulders fit here before the return window is over as I can alter everything else later. Little worried about them, but could be that the arm is just too wide in general? Would love if it fit. Album

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey guys, navy suit shoulder question here. This is my first suit. Can't bring this to a tailor cuz COVID-19, so need to know if the shoulders fit here before the return window is over as I can alter everything else later. Little worried about them, but could be that the arm is just too wide in general? Would love if it fit. Album
Read your post a couple times and not sure what your question is?
Are you asking if the shoulder is too wide or too narrow?
Try again, maybe someone will answer

Last edited:

drewby

Reaction score
Read your post a couple times and not sure what your question is?
Are you asking if the shoulder is too wide or too narrow?
Try again, maybe someone will answer
Sure, to clarify, I'm asking if the shoulder fits because I'm worried it's too wide. In some angles it seems to minorly pinch near the top, but as I don't have much suit experience, I'm not sure if what I have is a suit with too wide of a shoulder or not.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Only your first picture shows anything useful to judge by. Shoulder looks fine, not wide. I would not recommend a more narrow shoulder based on that picture.

demondeac

Reaction score
This is my remake MTM suit from Oliver wicks. Overall, I think it fits pretty well, but could be cleaned up a little to make it perfect. What would you all suggest?

IMG_3199.jpg

IMG_3200.jpg
IMG_3201.jpg

IMG_3203.jpg
IMG_3204.jpg
IMG_3205.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3205.jpg
    IMG_3205.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 23

Mr_natural78

Reaction score
Ok. I originally started a new thread yesterday and then saw this one. My first pictures were horrible and ill proportioned. I have four suits that I would love to get some feedback on. I am not someone who has any experience wearing suits. I've bought one new suit in my life and it was from JC Penny about 20 years ago. I am now in a place in life that I need/want to wear suits. My business is doing well and want/need to make good first impressions on potential investors and the local and state governments when filing for permits. I started by doing some reading on proper suit fit and this site came up a lot. I thrifted a couple of suits that I thought fit well and then used those to take flat measurements and make adjustments to my fit and I then purchased nice good quality suits that I thought would fit pretty close from the get go.

The first is an old hickey freeman that was one of my first thrifts. This has been to a local tailor to have the waist slimmed on the jacket but my wife and I can tell no difference in fit from before he had it. The trousers have had nothing done. We aren't convinced that this guy did some of the things he said he was doing. I am now searching for a new tailor and I would love some feedback on what things to call to the tailors attention. I have been referred to a tailor by one of the tailors who frequently gives input in this thread. The new tailor is an hour from me and does bespoke suitting so I feel much more confident about getting these suits dialed in once I am able to take them there.
20200412_121524.jpg
20200412_121619.jpg
20200412_121643.jpg

Last edited:

Mr_natural78

Reaction score
My second suit is a Samuelsohn Gable model. This suit has been to the previous mentioned tailor and the pants were shortened and the waist slimmed. Again, my wife and I can tell no difference in the jacket after going to the tailor.
20200412_121401.jpg
20200412_121426.jpg
20200412_121449.jpg

Last edited:

Mr_natural78

Reaction score
My third suit is my best suit. It is an Oxxford that is s180 fabric and seems very nice. It has surgeons cuffs so not much can be done with sleeve length but I feel it is pretty decent. The suit was originally bespoke, I believe, for a John R. The jacket has had nothing done and is just how I recieved it second hand from ebay. The trousers were shortened.
20200412_121013.jpg
20200412_121039.jpg
20200412_121123.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads