• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

walkinginplace

Reaction score
I don't normally do this, but would someone tell me why these pants, which I paid a lot for and desperately want to love, always have this weird crotch crease? Also, how do I fix it? Please and thank you....

IMG_2976.JPG

Philby

Reaction score
A question: Having a slightly short legs and a long-ish torso, unfortunately, I sometimes struggle with the correct jacket length. To cover my back entirely I need a jacket that is some 78cm long, or 75cm from under the collar. My height up to my neck, where the suit collar ends, is 150. The jacket is hence just about three centimetres longer than the bisection one normally aims to achieve. How much leeway do you give yourself when it comes to jacket length?

Royal_Airforce

Reaction score
A question: Having a slightly short legs and a long-ish torso, unfortunately, I sometimes struggle with the correct jacket length. To cover my back entirely I need a jacket that is some 78cm long, or 75cm from under the collar. My height up to my neck, where the suit collar ends, is 150. The jacket is hence just about three centimetres longer than the bisection one normally aims to achieve. How much leeway do you give yourself when it comes to jacket length?
I’ll do with halving the collar-to-hem height, or entirely covering the crotch, or to the 2nd joint of fingers. Or anything between.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tailors measure jacket length from the edge of the under collar, under the collar leaf, to the hem. Not from the top of the collar. Using that method for jacket length is half. Top of collar measurement is popular with resellers or eBay etc.
Best to visually determine the length you like then determine a marker to replicate the length in other jackets. This can be a point on your hand, thumb, knuckle whatever you choose. It will be a different point for different people because arms are different lengths. Use the same hand to find the length or other jackets because you can have different length arms as well.
Mistake made when you try to find jacket length to a specific point on your hand/thumb thinking it is a rule. Determine jacket length first then use hand/thumb point as a marker to replicate in other garments.
You must have one jacket you think to be the best length for you. Use that jacket.

lazym

Reaction score
20200406_085720.jpg

Is there an easy way to fix the rumples on the shoulder of this suit?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alright ladies and germs, I got these two coats back from a pinch job and I'm pretty unhappy with how they turned out. They both looked great when they were pinned up at the tailor, but I think it should be obvious that the left and right sides were done unevenly, and the bottom of the coat, specifically on the blue looks like a circus tent on me.

The most immediate problem and what makes them basically unwearable, in my opinion, is that the sides near the rear vents dont want to fall under the rear flap, and this causes the fabric to bunch and stick out and make it look like I have size 48 hips. You can see the bunching in the side profile photos, hopefully.

I think they're both relatively wearable when buttoned (aside from left and right side nipping being uneven), but what do you guys think I should do? Can anything be done to eliminate some fabric at the hips near the side pockets, or is my only option to let the sides out a bit to lessen the severity? Muchas gracias to any experts @Despos

Last edited:

ThomGault

Reaction score
what do you guys think I should do?
If your tailor let you leave his shop while wearing those garments, there's a simple solution: find another tailor. The vents are the least of your worries with those jackets.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your tailor let you leave his shop while wearing those garments, there's a simple solution: find another tailor. The vents are the least of your worries with those jackets.

Care to elaborate on the jackets? Didn't get a chance to follow up with tailor as he's shut down at the moment.

Last edited:

ThomGault

Reaction score
Care to elaborate?
The sleeve wrinkles and sleeve heads are the most evident problem to my eye, along with the tight crotch/butt wrinkles, not to mention the other issues you referenced, like the hip flare. And that's without even getting into the design mistakes, like the too-high notch, too-high button stance

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sleeve wrinkles and sleeve heads are the most evident problem to my eye, along with the tight crotch/butt wrinkles, not to mention the other issues you referenced, like the hip flare. And that's without even getting into the design mistakes, like the too-high notch, too-high button stance

Thanks for your thoughts ?

Not much I can do about most of that though just trying to make due the best I can with OTR

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any ideas on how to resolve the vent situation here? It’s a medium brown Sondrio 100% linen jacket ... haven’t had any of my other jackets flare like this, so I don't think it's because my seat is excessively bulbous.

It seems to curl up, even when hung - maybe attributed to the material?

These are pictures from another user, who is having the same problem, and took much better photos than I.

Sondrio3.jpg Sondrio2.jpg Sondrio1.jpg

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Rugger
Have you worn this brand suit before this?
Looks like the tapering on the sides is a bit too severe and too quick just below the sleeves. They may have stopped above the vents and not trimmed the jacket all the way to the hem. Cannot say from the pictures.
In all of your pictures your arms are extending or away from your body and doesn't help to see the jacket in a natural position.
Upper chest and back look border line too small.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any ideas on how to resolve the vent situation here? It’s a medium brown Sondrio 100% linen jacket ... haven’t had any of my other jackets flare like this, so I don't think it's because my seat is excessively bulbous.

It seems to curl up, even when hung - maybe attributed to the material?

These are pictures from another user, who is having the same problem, and took much better photos than I.

View attachment 1368487 View attachment 1368486 View attachment 1368485
It's exaggerated by the characteristics of linen. The correction is done inside the vents by taping and drawing in the cloth just a touch. The lining has to be adjusted to be a bit taut and short to help the vents curl under and inward.
A quick, temporary fix is to use an iron and just place it on the inside of the vent along the outside edge. From the top of the vent to the hem. This will reshape it to hang better but unless you do the other things mentioned, this will return again.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Rugger
Have you worn this brand suit before this?
Looks like the tapering on the sides is a bit too severe and too quick just below the sleeves. They may have stopped above the vents and not trimmed the jacket all the way to the hem. Cannot say from the pictures.
In all of your pictures your arms are extending or away from your body and doesn't help to see the jacket in a natural position.
Upper chest and back look border line too small.

I have worn them before (suitsupply) and they generally fit me pretty well OTR.

I believe your assessment of stopping above the vents and not going all the way down is accurate. Would it be advisable to ask the tailor to go back and trim all the way down, or better to let out some of the sides to lessen the severity as you say? @Despos much appreciate you time as does everyone else who you offer your advice to

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have - and I believe your assessment of stopping above the vents and not going all the way down is accurate. Would it be advisable to ask the tailor to go back and trim all the way down, or better to let out some of the sides to lessen the severity as you say? @Despos much appreciate you time as does everyone else who you offer your advice to
You need both done, best I can see.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads