• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

EddieK

Reaction score
Have I gone too suppressed on the waist of this shirt? It doesn't look terrible from the front. I thought adding some depth to the darts would alleviate the lower back wrinkling from a previous iteration, but it hasn't helped..

Also not sure the shirring on the back was a great idea..

View attachment 1343985 View attachment 1343986
View attachment 1343987 View attachment 1343988
Not a tailor but I think you should iron the shirt and untuck it and then reupload. It would make it much easier for a tailor to tell.

paxonus

Reaction score
Have I gone too suppressed on the waist of this shirt? It doesn't look terrible from the front. I thought adding some depth to the darts would alleviate the lower back wrinkling from a previous iteration, but it hasn't helped..

Also not sure the shirring on the back was a great idea..

View attachment 1343985 View attachment 1343986
View attachment 1343987 View attachment 1343988
Nothing to do with tailoring, but you are showing the 7th shirt button above the waistline of the pants.It is difficult to get a shirt to look good in the back when the rise on the pants is that low.

EddieK

Reaction score
Nothing to do with tailoring, but you are showing the 7th shirt button above the waistline of the pants.It is difficult to get a shirt to look good in the back when the rise on the pants is that low.
You're quite educated in the art of tailoring for a cat

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the group and @dieworkwear :)

Had a double-vented suit coat nipped this week, and now that it's back the outer portions of the vents really don't want to fall under the rear flap. They want to overlap at most about an inch and make the coat nearly unwearable unless buttoned, and when unbuttoned becomes very unsightly.

When a tailor nips a coat waist, do they also trim these outer pieces of vent? Wondering if the tailor missed this step? Hopefully that description makes sense.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Question for the group and @dieworkwear :)

Had a double-vented suit coat nipped this week, and now that it's back the outer portions of the vents really don't want to fall under the rear flap. They want to overlap at most about an inch and make the coat nearly unwearable unless buttoned, and when unbuttoned becomes very unsightly.

When a tailor nips a coat waist, do they also trim these outer pieces of vent? Wondering if the tailor missed this step? Hopefully that description makes sense.

Unfortunately don't have the technical expertise to say. I imagine @Despos can give you an answer, however.

joorinainen

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I have a tailoring questions I hope you can help me with.

I commissioned an MTM piece that turned out like this:

View attachment 1343327
View attachment 1343328

I think it generally looks good, but there is one issue that's being fixed.

Specifically, when I move, I get a collar gap on the jacket that doesn't settle down on its own. That is, I have to readjust the jacket on my frame to make it go away.

The tailor at the shop is going to take in the collar by half an inch to rectify the problem.

Now knowing that there can be multiple causes for collar gap (and multiple potential solutions), is there anything that stands out in the attached pics that could indicate what the cause of the problem is? I rarely run into this issue.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Looks great! Who is the maker?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I have a tailoring questions I hope you can help me with.

I commissioned an MTM piece that turned out like this:

View attachment 1343327
View attachment 1343328

I think it generally looks good, but there is one issue that's being fixed.

Specifically, when I move, I get a collar gap on the jacket that doesn't settle down on its own. That is, I have to readjust the jacket on my frame to make it go away.

The tailor at the shop is going to take in the collar by half an inch to rectify the problem.

Now knowing that there can be multiple causes for collar gap (and multiple potential solutions), is there anything that stands out in the attached pics that could indicate what the cause of the problem is? I rarely run into this issue.

Any and all help is appreciated!

This looks really good. The waist does look a little snug, which can cause pulling on other areas of the coat, so perhaps something to investigate.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It's Spier and Mackay, with credit to @induere_to for pics and measurements.

They shrunk the collar by half an inch to close the gap. I'd say it's been 90% resolved. Might take it back to their tailor for one more look.
Look great, especially given the prices that spier and mackay charges... as far as I understand it's only online MTM?

RaysOfSunshine

Reaction score
Hey there, I just got my first MTM shirt and I’m seeking some advice on adjustments to make for my next order. I generally have a slim figure and plan to wear this fit untucked in a very casual work setting.

IMG_2035.jpeg

IMG_2039.jpeg

IMG_2041.jpeg

My initial thoughts:
* Shoulders: A few things stand out here. 1. I have a pretty noticeable right shoulder dip. However, I don’t necessarily see any negative effects of this on the shirt fit at the moment so not sure if I should bother adjusting for it at all. 2. There is a ripple on each side of the front between the collar and shoulders. At first, this looked like symptoms of square shoulders or inward rounded shoulders (from what I read online), but on closer examination I think they are instead just being pushed up by my pronounced clavicle bones so I’m not sure anything can be done about them. 3. The edges of the shirt fall about 0.25 inches past the tip of my shoulder bone on each side, so perhaps I should shorten the yoke by a tiny bit? It may help with the slight bunching across the upper back.
* Midsection/Waist: It looks a bit tight in the front, so I’m considering increasing the midsection by 0.5 inches. In the back, however, there is definitely excess fabric. I’m not sure how I feel about darts, but when I emailed the manufacturer (Luxire) about simply tapering the sides of the back panel only they said it wasn’t possible without ruining the fit of the shirt, so darts may be my only option.
* Sleeve width: I see some notable bunching around the bicep area, so perhaps I should decrease the sleeve width by a tiny bit?
* Bottom: Increase by 0.5 inches

Thanks in advance for any help!

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it was around $800US. Full canvas, and lots of customizations options.
What a great deal. makes me want to just go to toronto. even when flying out there it's a better deal than most stores can even dream to offer.

EddieK

Reaction score
What a great deal. makes me want to just go to toronto. even when flying out there it's a better deal than most stores can even dream to offer.

What especially makes it an amazing offer is that they offer a muslin or trial fitting for free. And the staff really knows their stuff. So it's pretty much like MTM+ or Bespoke- with a price better than many MTMS.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads